U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:12 PM

163 posts, read 322,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Precisely. I almost got t-boned the other day because two idiots ran a red light going at least 70 mph on 168th and pacific. Luckily, I was observant enough to notice, "Hey, those guys are idiots who aren't going to stop."

Another thing Calvinist, you are way less likely to be killed by a bike than by a car. 15 pounds of aluminum vs 3000 pounds of steel, take your pick.
This is why I would seriously reconsider commuting by bike in Omaha. People are bad enough drivers without factoring in the rage some fly into over the mere sight of cyclists on the road. "Buzzing" and all that. It's not a common happening to inspire hostility in another driver by simply going the speed limit, but I'm on the butt-end of that regularly. Not to mention the horror stories you hear about cyclists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 04:20 PM

816 posts, read 1,421,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
This is why I would seriously reconsider commuting by bike in Omaha. People are bad enough drivers without factoring in the rage some fly into over the mere sight of cyclists on the road. "Buzzing" and all that. It's not a common happening to inspire hostility in another driver by simply going the speed limit, but I'm on the butt-end of that regularly. Not to mention the horror stories you hear about cyclists.
I have been cycling for 5 years and have not been hit yet. Several close calls, but that can happen no matter your choice of vehicle. Overall cycling is very safe if you just use some common sense. Once the city can get a good and far reaching bicycle lane system things will be even safer.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,692,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
The age old complaint of the motorist. Cyclists don't have to pay the wheel tax. Simple as that. Now you are free to believe that we have to, but you are NOT free to tell cyclists to stay off the street because they don't. We have a legal right to the road, same as a motorist!
Your special treatment regarding the wheel tax aside.... I shouldn't have to be slowed down by the cyclist that thinks he can ride in the street. You're a hazard to people that drive cars.

On a side note...when you come up on a traffic light...do you sit and wait your turn? Or do you ride on the shoulder and go right up to the front of the line? If you want to pretend you're driving a real vehicle, behave like one.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:36 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Your special treatment regarding the wheel tax aside....
Playing by your "there shouldn't be special laws for a 3% minority" rule then you should be against a wheel tax for bicyclists.

No one is keeping your from trading in your car for a bike to not pay the wheel tax.

God using your own flawed logic back on you is fun.

Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM

163 posts, read 322,094 times
Quote:
Your special treatment regarding the wheel tax aside.... I shouldn't have to be slowed down by the cyclist that thinks he can ride in the street. You're a hazard to people that drive cars.

On a side note...when you come up on a traffic light...do you sit and wait your turn? Or do you ride on the shoulder and go right up to the front of the line? If you want to pretend you're driving a real vehicle, behave like one.
Why is it a right for you to drive unaffected by cyclists? The law, as has been cited, gives bikes all the rights of any other motor vehicle. If you run into a cyclist, who has every legal right to occupy the road, it's no different than any other vehicle. It's like saying you shouldn't have to deal with getting stuck behind little old ladies driving 20 mph under the speed limit. It's a part if driving.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM

816 posts, read 1,421,213 times
Quote:

Again you show your intolerance against anything that dose not match your ideas! First Cyclists don't think they can ride in the street, they KNOW IT! They have a little something called state AND federal law on their side.

Second the hazard is the idiot driver that either illegally passes the cyclist or decides to pull another reckless stunt. City streets do not have a minimum speed limit.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:30 PM

624 posts, read 1,105,497 times
I'm for cycling in Omaha, but I can see where Calvinist may be coming from. I ride my bike sometimes, but whenever I do it-even though every road is legally okay for us to ride on-I shy from the big roads where I would obviously not be compensated without haste. We can all argue that the older part of the city was made for cyclists, but what did they have in mind for the roads Calvinist probably frequents?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 PM

57 posts, read 93,469 times
Quote:

THIS EXACT mindset is why I would never even consider bicycle commuting in Omaha. whoever made this "bronze level" designation definitely did not take into account the local population's mindset on bicycle commuting. Sorry, but in my opinion Omaha is not even close to bicycle-friendly right now.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,692,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Again you show your intolerance against anything that dose not match your ideas! First Cyclists don't think they can ride in the street, they KNOW IT! They have a little something called state AND federal law on their side.

Second the hazard is the idiot driver that either illegally passes the cyclist or decides to pull another reckless stunt. City streets do not have a minimum speed limit.
At least you'll be right when you get hit by a car because you insisted on proving you can do it.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:44 AM

13,943 posts, read 19,182,493 times
Quote:
At least you'll be right when you get hit by a car because you insisted on proving you can do it.
In the mean time, they'll continue to infuriate you by riding their bikes. There is value in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or