U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 01:53 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,378,631 times

Advertisements

I understand the point of staying off certain roads. But the attitude of people, like Calvinist, that bikes belong on NO roads is infuriating. I wonder if they ever stop and think that the cyclist is someones son/daughter or husband/wife. Alas, like drunk driving 40 years ago, until some serious consequences occur in car/bike accidents-especially in cases of road rage-the attitude and perception of too many drivers will not change.
And what's really amusing, given that recreational paths are often for cyclists, and walkers, I can just see Calvinist out for a leisurely stroll down the path when a cyclist zooms past at 20MPH almost giving him a heart attack. And he will shout, "Get off the path you maniac". And the cyclist will think, geez-first you kick me off the road and now you kick me off the path? WTF? Where am I supposed to ride?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 03:44 PM

816 posts, read 1,415,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
At least you'll be right when you get hit by a car because you insisted on proving you can do it.
There is nothing to prove. Are you out to prove anything when you drive your car? If your sane, most likely not, and neither am I or any other commuter cyclist. Motorists simply have to understand we have the same right to the city and state roads as they do. Now if they can't accept that then perhaps they should hang up the keys as they are a hazard to us all.

I just got back for a 25+ mile tour of the city. Sure it upset a few motorists (mainly young teenage punks in fancy racing cars), but they have to understand we have as much a right to the road as them. And for the record, I was not out joyriding (as you like to call it), I had 7 stops to make. I don't expect you to understand it or to even give it a try. However I DO expect you to follow the law and yield to cyclists as you would any motor vehicle (I have a feeling you don't going by your comments). I follow every law to the letter and expect no less from motorists.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:16 PM

181 posts, read 282,807 times
I don't see too many cyclists, but a lot of those I do see do not obey the rules of the road. Following the rules of the road in regards to 4-way stop signs and crosswalks in particular. I've never seen a cyclist "pulled over" by a police officer. Maybe they don't see cyclists do these things?

Old 10-09-2011, 06:25 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,812,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
I don't see too many cyclists, but a lot of those I do see do not obey the rules of the road. Following the rules of the road in regards to 4-way stop signs and crosswalks in particular. I've never seen a cyclist "pulled over" by a police officer. Maybe they don't see cyclists do these things?
I have seen cars run red lights, stop signs and speed that were not caught by the police as well. The cops can't be on every corner.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I have seen cars run red lights, stop signs and speed that were not caught by the police as well. The cops can't be on every corner.
Quite right!

If an officer sees it they are suppose to issue a ticket. As a cyclists I wish they would do it more often, to both cyclists and motorists. Too many laws are allowed to be bent or outright broken, risking the safety of everyone.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 5,673,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
There is nothing to prove. Are you out to prove anything when you drive your car? If your sane, most likely not, and neither am I or any other commuter cyclist. Motorists simply have to understand we have the same right to the city and state roads as they do. Now if they can't accept that then perhaps they should hang up the keys as they are a hazard to us all.

I just got back for a 25+ mile tour of the city. Sure it upset a few motorists (mainly young teenage punks in fancy racing cars), but they have to understand we have as much a right to the road as them. And for the record, I was not out joyriding (as you like to call it), I had 7 stops to make. I don't expect you to understand it or to even give it a try. However I DO expect you to follow the law and yield to cyclists as you would any motor vehicle (I have a feeling you don't going by your comments). I follow every law to the letter and expect no less from motorists.
As I said...at least you'll be able to say you had a right to be there when you got hit because you were riding your toy in the street.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM

181 posts, read 282,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I don't expect them to be. There are too many cyclists that think they do no wrong on the road, or that they own the road and everyone should yield to them.

To put it a different way... Speaking proportionately, more cyclists do not follow the rules of the road.

Last edited by RhettB; 10-10-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
As I said...at least you'll be able to say you had a right to be there when you got hit because you were riding your toy in the street.
What about if a motorist gets hit? Should they be told to keep their 'toy' off the street?

And as I said, I don't expect you to accept cyclists, just obey the law and yield to them as you would any vehicle. You have clarly shown your overall intolerance to anyone different than you in MANY areas and in many threads so I don't expect you to change!

Last edited by harshbarj; 10-10-2011 at 03:31 PM..

Old 10-10-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
I don't expect them to be. There are too many cyclists that think they do no wrong on the road, or that they own the road and everyone should yield to them.

To put it a different way... Speaking proportionately, more cyclists do not follow the rules of the road.
Proportionately there may be more cyclists that break the law, but a cyclists that breaks the law is really only a threat to their own life. A motorist that decides to run a light can kill dozens. That's not saying the cyclist is not in the wrong or that they should not follow the laws, but that clearly one is far more dangerous to the public in general. That's why most countries that have a fair number of cyclists fine cyclists FAR less for traffic infractions than motor vehicles.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Anyway, off to 'play in the street with my toy' as Calvinist would put it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or