Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,186,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
I don't expect them to be. There are too many cyclists that think they do no wrong on the road, or that they own the road and everyone should yield to them.

To put it a different way... Speaking proportionately, more cyclists do not follow the rules of the road.
I would actually disagree about the proportionality claim.

I would wager that well over 75% of drivers have broke the speed limit in this past week alone. I know I have.

It doesn't justify the bicyclist breaking the law, but a complaint that they shouldn't be on the road if they can't follow the law needs to apply to EVERY vehicle user.

In my own personal experience I have seen 7 people riding bikes in the street this past week. I only saw one of them break the law. Most weeks I see more than that, but even for the small sample size it was encouraging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,611,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
I would actually disagree about the proportionality claim.

I would wager that well over 75% of drivers have broke the speed limit in this past week alone. I know I have.

It doesn't justify the bicyclist breaking the law, but a complaint that they shouldn't be on the road if they can't follow the law needs to apply to EVERY vehicle user.

In my own personal experience I have seen 7 people riding bikes in the street this past week. I only saw one of them break the law. Most weeks I see more than that, but even for the small sample size it was encouraging.
If a bicyclist breaks the speed limit, good on 'em. I'm concerned about the knucklehead that runs stop signs, stop lights, drives on the shoulder, and cuts into traffic. They are a hazard.

Nevermind the ones that simply slow down traffic.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM

817 posts, read 1,767,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
If a bicyclist breaks the speed limit, good on 'em. I'm concerned about the knucklehead that runs stop signs, stop lights, drives on the shoulder, and cuts into traffic. They are a hazard.

Nevermind the ones that simply slow down traffic.
SOOOoooo. You’re ok with speeding, but nothing else? Speeding is just as bad as running a red light. If you where really against cyclists because they are breaking the law, then this too should bother you. So it's clear you’re against cyclists for something other than laws!

As for the shoulder, that is completely legal and quite frankly the safest place on some roads, like the veterans memorial highway. As for cutting into traffic, if there is enough room it's called merging.

Lastly, slowing down traffic is not against the law. I would suggest you brush up on Nebraska law before posting again.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
SOOOoooo. You’re ok with speeding, but nothing else? Speeding is just as bad as running a red light. If you where really against cyclists because they are breaking the law, then this too should bother you. So it's clear you’re against cyclists for something other than laws!

As for the shoulder, that is completely legal and quite frankly the safest place on some roads, like the veterans memorial highway. As for cutting into traffic, if there is enough room it's called merging.

Lastly, slowing down traffic is not against the law. I would suggest you brush up on Nebraska law before posting again.
Going a little fast within safe conditions isn't an issue, in my book. It's people that drive or ride out in front of other cars that tend to worry me.

Keep your toys out of the way of my car.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Going a little fast within safe conditions isn't an issue, in my book. It's people that drive or ride out in front of other cars that tend to worry me.

Keep your toys out of the way of my car.
You keep proving you’re incapable of an intelligent conversation. #1, speeding is against the law, no matter how safe YOU judge it, for both motorized and non-motorized vehicles. #2, a bicycle is not a toy, anymore than a car is a toy. Both are means of transportation.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
You keep proving you’re incapable of an intelligent conversation. #1, speeding is against the law, no matter how safe YOU judge it, for both motorized and non-motorized vehicles. #2, a bicycle is not a toy, anymore than a car is a toy. Both are means of transportation.
A bicycle is a toy ridden by kids. If you choose to get to work on one, you've got that option. Just get out of the street and we'll all be happier.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,681,406 times
Quote:
A bicycle is a toy ridden by kids. If you choose to get to work on one, you've got that option. Just get out of the street and we'll all be happier.
No. You'll be happier. You have a tendency to use "We" way too much when you talk about YOUR opinions. You're just angry that if there is a bike on the road, you might not be able to go 55 on pacific street. You are only concerned about your own needs and desires and it is clear every time you post.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:10 AM

1,224 posts, read 2,186,931 times
Quote:
What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
No. You'll be happier. You have a tendency to use "We" way too much when you talk about YOUR opinions. You're just angry that if there is a bike on the road, you might not be able to go 55 on pacific street. You are only concerned about your own needs and desires and it is clear every time you post.
No...I think I speak for a lot of car drivers that are sick of bicyclists thinking they can impede traffic.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
No...I think I speak for a lot of car drivers that are sick of bicyclists thinking they can impede traffic.
All I can say it get use to it. Cyclists are going nowhere and likely will only increase in numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha