U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:09 AM

6,486 posts, read 5,680,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
All I can say it get use to it. Cyclists are going nowhere and likely will only increase in numbers.
so be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 01:13 PM

65 posts, read 109,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
No...I think I speak for a lot of car drivers that are sick of bicyclists thinking they can impede traffic.
They can "impede" traffic - bicycles are a legal means of transportation. Based on your past posts, I know that you are a man for a big-government theocracy, but cyclists have a right to the roadways, gay people have a right to exist, and citizens have a right to own pit bulls - sorry pal, some freedoms still exist in this country (I am sure you will be working hard to change that).

Old 10-12-2011, 10:48 PM

2,369 posts, read 7,757,577 times
I was a bit surprised to read the title of this thread. I am a daily bike commuter in southern california, in an area that has generally good conditions on local streets for bicycle transportation. In my area, we have wide bike lanes along the shoulder of almost every major through street.

I have visited Omaha several times, and was there just last month. I admit I don't know the city as well as a local but did have a chance to visit many parts of the central city and some surrounding neighborhoods and burbs. I was impressed with the pedestrian / bicycle bridge crossing the Missouri River along the waterfront near the Louis and Clark historical museum. It looks like a bicycle is "do-able" in some parts of the central Omaha area, but most streets don't have much of a shoulder or a bike lane. It did not give me a feeling of being that "bike friendly" for a transportation oriented bike rider like myself. Parts of Omaha are surprisingly hilly, which would probably be an issue for some folks who want to pedal around town, especially if they wanted to carry along some groceries. Did I miss something on my visits?

Old 10-12-2011, 11:28 PM

816 posts, read 1,418,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I was a bit surprised to read the title of this thread. I am a daily bike commuter in southern california, in an area that has generally good conditions on local streets for bicycle transportation. In my area, we have wide bike lanes along the shoulder of almost every major through street.

I have visited Omaha several times, and was there just last month. I admit I don't know the city as well as a local but did have a chance to visit many parts of the central city and some surrounding neighborhoods and burbs. I was impressed with the pedestrian / bicycle bridge crossing the Missouri River along the waterfront near the Louis and Clark historical museum. It looks like a bicycle is "do-able" in some parts of the central Omaha area, but most streets don't have much of a shoulder or a bike lane. It did not give me a feeling of being that "bike friendly" for a transportation oriented bike rider like myself. Parts of Omaha are surprisingly hilly, which would probably be an issue for some folks who want to pedal around town, especially if they wanted to carry along some groceries. Did I miss something on my visits?
No, you did not miss much. I myself am 100% car free and even I find it hard to keep only to my bicycle (though like I have much of a choice ). Most of the problem is the unruly drivers that think the road is only for them (read above ). Otherwise just making sure your bicycle has a low enough gear to climb those hills.

I live in south Omaha and almost everything I need in a day is within 1 mile with the rest mainly falling within 1.5 miles. It's just nice that I can get to almost anything I need within 15 minutes, well, If drivers cooperate that is (and most surprisingly do, and it's getting better).

As for bike lanes, they are adding them all over and there are plans for expansion in the future, but the city still needs to do a LOT to improve both the pedestrian and cycling infrastructure to even reach acceptable levels.

Lastly, it is just a bronze rating, something that just takes a little effort from the city to accomplish. Overall Omaha is rated very poorly and the state of Nebraska is one of the lowest ranked states (46th) in the union for government level support of cycling. Things are still quite bad for Omaha and Nebraska commuter cyclists, but it is improving at least in the major metro areas.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:41 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,393,867 times
Calvinist, have you ever visited Europe? Reason I ask is many countries like Holland and Switzerland, have large cities with safe infrastructure for walkers, cyclists and cars that are often seperated from one another. I agree that some cyclists are idiotic "accidents waiting to happen". But some drivers are maniacal "accidents waiting to happen" as well. But we responsible riders often have no choice but to share a road with 2-tons of steel sometimes driven by road-rage fueled individuals who are angry that "toys" on the road are slowing them down. Painting a stripe on a lane or shoulder is helpful for the cyclist, but seperated infrastructure that is seperate from cars AND pedestrians is safest-but also most expensive. So we BOTH have to deal with a compromised situation and keeping a cool, patient demeanor on both sides will be safer. We cyclists are very sensitive to this because some of the accidents are driver's fault, occuring when cyclist was following traffic laws and riding safely. I have YET to hear of a driver being seriously injured in an accident like this, but hear of serious injuries to the cyclist and deaths all too often. And to end, the cyclist that goes wrong way down one way street, blows through signals and stops signs without making sure it is completely clear and safe are morons that we "serious cyclists" abhor and create road rage that is vented on us and solidifies "calvinist" attitudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or