Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM

53 posts, read 214,024 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Omaha this December and I am curious to hear from those who have made the move from California. What have been you experiences so far? Do you like it?

I will be moving from Southern California and cant wait to leave this state. The only two things that I will miss will be the weather and the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 05:27 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
There are a lot of people who move here from SoCal, but I'm not sure any are on the forum, but most I know like the area.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 33,016 times
I moved from SoCal to Omaha last year.. in fact, tomorrow will be one year since I got here. The area wasn't new to me as I had lived here ~17 years ago while in the Air Force, but it has changed quite a bit.

In a nutshell, I love it. The pace is a bit slower. The cost of living is much lower. The traffic is far, far better. It's nice to have actual seasons again. I also love snow, so that alone makes me like it a lot more than SoCal.

The summers can get pretty hot. I had actually forgotten just how hot. The winters are obviously much colder. However, that's nothing some good outerwear can't solve. Just make sure you have some items that stop the wind from tearing through you.

There are certain types of food that I miss, like thai, vietnamese, and chinese. I've found some in the area, but not nearly as much, or as tasty, as what I had in the Pasadena area. There also aren't nearly as many seafood places, but that's to be expected. However... there are TONS of places to eat here if you are a foodie. You won't ever go hungry.

As a side note, if you're a Trader Joe's fan, Omaha got their first one here just about a year ago. Just be prepared to pay ~$3 for your two buck chuck if you drink it

Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Not a resident of Omaha now, but we used to live there several years ago when my husband was at Offutt AFB. (I am originally from the Santa Barbara area and my husband is a Washington State native who went to high school in Anaheim.) We loved Omaha and the quality of life there. Great people, plenty of interesting things to do that don't cost a fortune, a truly wonderful zoo, Lauritzen Gardens, Joslyn Art Museum, Fontanelle Forest, Old Market, cultural events, etc. Nebraska is a wonderful state.

We did not have a problem with the winters, but we love winter. Beautiful springs and autumns, and summers are short and far more manageable than the DC area (DC region summers are horrible).

Hope you enjoy your new home in Omaha!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:21 AM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
I'm a lifelong Southern California resident who has been to Omaha a number of times. I like it there so much, I ALMOST seriously considered moving there back in the late 80s/early 90s. What everyone else posted is true of the area. I think the Omaha area is clean and orderly, the people are friendly (strangers passing by will actually see "hi" to you), there are number of great shopping and dining options, and if you're looking to explore outside the Omaha area, Kansas City is just a few hours' drive away. Not to mention the cost of living is way cheaper than it is in California, and you can buy a really nice home with a big yard for a fraction of the price of comparable homes in California.

Compared with the rest of the country, Omaha (and the state of Nebraska in general) has weathered the economic downturn fairly well, along with the Dakotas. Not too sure if finding a job is easier than it currently is here in California, though.

The two major things that hold me back are 1) The extreme weather (though I'm sure I could make the adjustment, given time); and 2) All my family is here in California and they're staying put, plus I'm at a stage in my life where I feel I'm too old to start over somewhere else.

However, it's good to know that I can always visit Omaha anytime I want! Best of luck to you and I hope your new life in Omaha works out better than you have ever hoped or imagined.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:11 PM

Thanks everyone.

Wollymon, I know what you mean about the food here. Im pretty spoiled and have many excellent choices in cuisines within a 2 mile radius from my over-priced apartment . There are a ton of great things that I have heard and read about Omaha, and I will adjust fine despite the snow and humidity.

Fern435, the main reason I am moving is because of the quality of life there. Im looking forward to exploring the city and the places you mentioned to visit.

dennismpat, I am currently unemployed and it has been brutal in finding a job here. I believe the unemployment rate is here in CA is 12% . The pay for the jobs have also changed dramatically. I have called some temp agencies there in Omaha and I am comfortable that I will find something. My family and friends are here as well, BUT many are in a similar position and are also looking to relocate. So it makes it easier on me. Plus, Im really looking for a fresh start. I've been living in the same county my entire life. Time for a change .

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 PM

376 posts, read 653,631 times
Hey, I'm for NorCal and was considering moving from the SF area out to Omaha as well last year!
However, I lucked into a job in Oakland and am still here, but Nebraska still calls to me sometimes...Same reasons as you mainly, apts rent being so ridiculous and commute sucking a lot too!

Also, unemployment is still 10% in Norcal vs. 5 % in NE...When do you plan to move?

Old 10-21-2011, 01:40 PM

Im looking to move in December. Im a little scared but also excited!

Old 10-22-2011, 08:30 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal2Omaha View Post
Im looking to move in December. Im a little scared but also excited!
Good luck! Keep an open mind and enjoy Omaha and Nebraska for what they are and what they have to offer. You will be just fine.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:58 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,490 times
You are not alone.. Omaha's largest migration gains are consistently from California. The city experiences an average of a positive (moving in versus moving) in-migration of 400-700 from your state annually.

I've heard some California transplants comment on this and say that Omaha should be adopted by California, jokingly of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha