Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 04:40 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times

Advertisements

The Nebraska Department of Education released its annual list of persistently lowest achieving public schools Tuesday, prompting another round of debate on the wisdom of the policy.

A total of 96 schools received the controversial designation, based on poor test scores or graduation rates.

States that accepted federal stimulus money are required to produce the list.

Listed schools are eligible for federal grants, but to get the money districts must agree to aggressive reforms such as removing the school principal.

This year's list includes 45 schools in the metro Omaha area, among them all seven of high schools in the Omaha Public Schools.

OPS spokeswoman Luanne Nelson said officials in her district continue to oppose the listing and will not apply for the grants.

"Our position on the labeling has not changed," she said.

Nelson said the district accepted private funds to help the listed schools after they appeared on last year's list.

The state also released Tuesday its list of schools that failed to meet state goals under the federal No Child Left Behind law.

This year, 137 Nebraska schools failed to meet state goals for adequate yearly progress during the 2010-11 school year. Ten school districts also were listed, including the Omaha and Lincoln public school systems.

more... 45 Omaha schools are low-achievers - Omaha.com

meanwhile Gray and Borer and Drickey and Morrissey and Huston

and Sandra Jensen (been on ops board since the 1970's) are up for re-election.

maybe some board members who can do something and not just worry about holding onto power when it comes to re-election time needs to happen.

time they join Sophir next year as ex OPS board members.

if all 7 OPS high schools are failing, it's time for the OPS board to explain why or time for 6 new board members in 2012

cause the incomptence of the OPS board is troubling. and Jensen and Gray's attitude is getting sickening.

we need board members who care about the education system, and not just only caring on holding their school board seat, which is what it seems some members on the board only care about

btw:

removing Central and South's principal I wouldnt have a problem with. Both are considered a joke by many folks compared to other school's principals.

maybe new principals at Central and South might help. perferbally one with a backbone.

at least Benson's principal has somewhat turned the school around in last couple years. which as a Omaha North grad, I give to Benson

keep up the good work Omaha Benson High.

South and Central's have gotten worse and the principals and alumni association reps for both schools have nothing to say.

Last edited by billiefan2000; 11-08-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:24 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,687,432 times
It's more than just board members Billie. The students need to work too, and it helps even more if there is parental involvement.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
I don't know why people keep blaming the schools. I went to Omaha South High and did very well, I even finished on the honor roll. The teachers were great and so was the principal then(98). I feel a lot of the blame can be put on the students themselves. I know I would watch others sit in class and goof off and end up failing the class. Sadly it's students like that that bring down the grade averages for the whole school.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:12 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,543,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
I don't know why people keep blaming the schools. I went to Omaha South High and did very well, I even finished on the honor roll. The teachers were great and so was the principal then(98). I feel a lot of the blame can be put on the students themselves. I know I would watch others sit in class and goof off and end up failing the class. Sadly it's students like that that bring down the grade averages for the whole school.

South at one time was great. but now with lazy students, a MIA prinicipal and a alumni association who isnt more pro-active in getting involved with Omaha South, it has become the punchline of high schools in Omaha

btw: I agree it's those who goof off or play hooky a lot and dont want to work, who ruin things for those who are trying to get a education.

btw: u graduated in 1998 from South?

I am a Omaha North 1998 grad and know some 1998 Omaha South grads. Theyre good people.

I also know some 1998 grads from all 7 OPS Schools and Millard South.

I agree with Raphael07:
I think the parents need to be more involved, but nowadays we got parents who would rather be a friend to their children than a parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: