U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 PM
 
92 posts, read 99,924 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Omaha is a very "Narnian" city. Meaning, just wildly unrealistic it borders on fantasy. Comparing it to LA? lol. It's never a direct comparison, it's always an implication that the difference is negligible at best. Even comparing Omaha to Tampa is dumb. Tampa is actually much nicer than given credit for, beautiful beaches and some very nice well-kept neighborhoods. You also don't have that judgmental midwest conservative feeling you get in Omaha. Tampa gets people from all over the country, Omaha generally rural Nebraska for the most part. Tampa has hosted the Super Bowl 4 times, and still doesn't view itself unrealistically the way Omaha does.

Most "Narnian" Cities

Addressed further here.
Yeah this post makes absolutely no sense. I never heard anything like this, or got that feeling at all. In fact, most Omaha natives can't stop talking about how boring they think it is, and how much they want to go where I'm from. As we've established in this thread, different folks like different things.

 
Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 PM
 
608 posts, read 655,908 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Omaha is a very "Narnian" city. Meaning, just wildly unrealistic it borders on fantasy. Comparing it to LA? lol. It's never a direct comparison, it's always an implication that the difference is negligible at best. Even comparing Omaha to Tampa is dumb. Tampa is actually much nicer than given credit for, beautiful beaches and some very nice well-kept neighborhoods. You also don't have that judgmental midwest conservative feeling you get in Omaha. Tampa gets people from all over the country, Omaha generally rural Nebraska for the most part. Tampa has hosted the Super Bowl 4 times, and still doesn't view itself unrealistically the way Omaha does.

Most "Narnian" Cities

Addressed further here.

Let me add... Omaha is actually much nicer than given credit for. We have very nice, well-kept neighborhoods, rolling hills, great historic neighborhoods, an increasingly bustling downtown and we're always getting better and are growing steadily. West Omaha is where the concentration of conservatives are, while east Omaha carries a more progressive feel. Omaha is a progressive town that very well could become the epicenter of the newest large metropolitan area. I don't see what's wrong with any of that. There is nothing "to do" yet, but theres much to experience.
 
Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Wishing I was back in Nebraska.
2,447 posts, read 2,217,868 times
Reputation: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Omaha is a very "Narnian" city. Meaning, just wildly unrealistic it borders on fantasy. Comparing it to LA? lol. It's never a direct comparison, it's always an implication that the difference is negligible at best. Even comparing Omaha to Tampa is dumb. Tampa is actually much nicer than given credit for, beautiful beaches and some very nice well-kept neighborhoods. You also don't have that judgmental midwest conservative feeling you get in Omaha. Tampa gets people from all over the country, Omaha generally rural Nebraska for the most part. Tampa has hosted the Super Bowl 4 times, and still doesn't view itself unrealistically the way Omaha does.

Most "Narnian" Cities

Addressed further here.
Tampa is not nice at all, have you ever lived here? This place is crazy. I cant WAIT to get back to Omaha.
 
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Middleburg
886 posts, read 886,042 times
Reputation: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Omaha is a very "Narnian" city.
I get what he's saying. Omahans are very often trying to prove how good they are, especially relative to other places. You can really see it with the Huskers. When the Huskers are winning, Nebraskans feel just as good as everybody else in the country, if not superior. That's why college football is so important here.
 
Old 12-23-2011, 12:42 AM
 
1,839 posts, read 1,969,293 times
Reputation: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Tampa is not nice at all, have you ever lived here? This place is crazy. I cant WAIT to get back to Omaha.
South Tampa/Hyde Park is nice. You're probably just meant for the midwest. Having been out in both cities, Tampa seems to have a lot more people in shape too.

New Tampa is really nice as well if you want a more suburban feel.

You could basically interchange everything else, lots of Omaha is rundown and ghetto looking. Just without palm trees and ocean nearby.
 
Old 12-23-2011, 12:43 AM
 
1,839 posts, read 1,969,293 times
Reputation: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I get what he's saying. Omahans are very often trying to prove how good they are, especially relative to other places. You can really see it with the Huskers. When the Huskers are winning, Nebraskans feel just as good as everybody else in the country, if not superior. That's why college football is so important here.
Especially..."Omaha is so progressive, so liberal you have no idea..."etc. All the Narnian cities specialize in that.
 
Old 12-23-2011, 09:23 AM
 
65 posts, read 75,266 times
Reputation: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Especially..."Omaha is so progressive, so liberal you have no idea..."etc. All the Narnian cities specialize in that.
eh - your posts are so strange and the "Narnia" label so puerile that it doesn't really warrant a substantive response. But I will advise you to stay out of the medicine cabinet.
 
Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Wishing I was back in Nebraska.
2,447 posts, read 2,217,868 times
Reputation: 2291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
South Tampa/Hyde Park is nice. You're probably just meant for the midwest. Having been out in both cities, Tampa seems to have a lot more people in shape too.

New Tampa is really nice as well if you want a more suburban feel.

You could basically interchange everything else, lots of Omaha is rundown and ghetto looking. Just without palm trees and ocean nearby.
The ocean is of no interest to me. In the year and a half I've been here, i've been to the ocean once (and that was only because family came to town to visit and wanted to go). I much prefer places with seasons.
 
Old 12-23-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Tampa, Florida
11,005 posts, read 10,088,980 times
Reputation: 5937
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
South Tampa/Hyde Park is nice. You're probably just meant for the midwest. Having been out in both cities, Tampa seems to have a lot more people in shape too.

New Tampa is really nice as well if you want a more suburban feel.

You could basically interchange everything else, lots of Omaha is rundown and ghetto looking. Just without palm trees and ocean nearby.
I've actually lived in Tampa for almost a decade now after moving away from Omaha. Tampa is great city in it's own right but to say Omaha doesn't compare is laughingly absurd. I also wonder if you've happened to actually explore Tampa? They have areas there that are MUCH worse than the worst Omaha has to offer.
 
Old 12-23-2011, 09:50 PM
 
1,839 posts, read 1,969,293 times
Reputation: 789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I've actually lived in Tampa for almost a decade now after moving away from Omaha. Tampa is great city in it's own right but to say Omaha doesn't compare is laughingly absurd. I also wonder if you've happened to actually explore Tampa? They have areas there that are MUCH worse than the worst Omaha has to offer.
I've seen enough of both cities. The history, waterfront, tropical setting, and nightlife are things Omaha just can't compare to. I don't make it a point to explore ghettos. Every city has them.

Even look at shopping. Take International Plaza for example, now compare all of Omaha's shopping to International Plaza.

I've noticed on here, it's almost the in thing to do to hate all sunbelt cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top