U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:44 PM

142 posts, read 163,480 times

Advertisements

The fact I can walk out my balcony and take a picture of a beautiful sun drenched set of mountains with GREEN all around at any point through the day beats Omaha by a mile.

Come on. I didn't even cover a fraction of what the LA Area has.

There is SO much to do here! It's ridiculous.

San Diego is an hourish from here. That place alone has soooo much more.

Considering San Fran, San Diego, Palm Springs, and Vegas are all a car ride away from LA is proof along that Omaha can't hold a candle.

I love Omaha just fine. But I've done and seen more in a year than I ever had a chance to in 26 years. You're also talking to a guy who's gone to several Husker, CWS, Royals, Beef, Nighthawks, Jays, and even Mavs games. I've been to Henry Doorly multiple times, been all around.

26 years of Omaha < 1 year of So Cal.

There's a reason 14+ million people live around here.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:46 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,198,611 times
If that's what LA has to offer, then I dont want it. I'm living in Tampa, FL and it sounds pretty similar to LA. I cant wait to get out of this hell hole of the south and get back HOME to omaha.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 PM

142 posts, read 163,480 times
I can understand why people don't like it, but to imply Omaha has everything minus the traffic is just plain dense.

I will say Tampa doesn't really compare to LA, but I get your point.

Beaches, mountains, palm trees, and all that I mentioned aren't for everyone.

Last edited by agskinner; 12-19-2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 11:46 PM

8,065 posts, read 8,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
If that's what LA has to offer, then I dont want it. I'm living in Tampa, FL and it sounds pretty similar to LA. I cant wait to get out of this hell hole of the south and get back HOME to omaha.
They're not similar at all.

Having been a 20 yr resident of LA and now like you in the Tampa area, not at all a like.

LA enjoys a warm moderate dry climate, unlike Tampa which as you know is a suana most of the year.

Even in the summer, it will cool down at night, unlike FL which remains hot throughout the night.

Had a vistor come from CA and they decided to open the sliding glass door to get some air in the middle of the night...LOL..it was 86 degrees with 90% humidity at 1am...not very refreshing.

LA has hills and mountains and Tampa is as flat as can be.

LA is on a grid with freeways and boulevards, and while there is at times heavy traffic the roads are better designed and maintained.

Tampa is uncontrolled sprawl. Their highway signs are awful(the roads have not kept up with the population increase)there is no notice in advance if an exit is coming up, at rush hour they have no lights to control traffic on the on ramps.

Even the most clueless person can manuever around LA as the freeways give you plenty of advance notice when an exit is coming up or a freeway is splitting, in Tampa if you don't know where you need to go, good luck to you....LOL.

Road construction in FL seems to take forever compared to CA(they do at night in the LA area).

The only thing similar is the winter weather. Tampa briefly enjoys some moderate days with low humidity in Jan. and Feb that feel similar to what Southern CA has most of the year, but other than that they have nothing in common.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 AM

92 posts, read 99,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agskinner View Post
That's a flat inaccurate statement. Probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

26 year Omaha resident, current OC/LA Area resident.

Omaha is missing A LOT!

Beach? Mountains? Palm Trees? Those are just the obvious geographic features.

Trust me, the sun shinning off the side of the Saddle Back Mountains is WAYYYYYYYY better than grey clouds or plains.

The beach alone crushes ANYTHING! Omaha has.

Shopping? Theaters? Tourist spots?

Omaha has what? The Zoo? Yeah, the Zoo's great, but Hollywood, Santa Monica Pier, COUNTLESS museums, Disney Land, multiple professional sports teams, celebrities are fun too, touring Beverly Hills and Bel Air, Rodeo Drive, Laguna Hills, Orange Counties southern cities, and 100's of wonderful cultural spots. Many division 1 football teams within hours, many events.

The Griffith Observatory ALONE crushes Omaha. That place may be the most beautiful place on Earth. You can look at mountains, beautiful ocean water, and an area that has 14+ million people all at once.

The Hollywood Bowl.

The Spectrum in Irvine.

Beautiful hills of Coto De Caza and south OC.

You've either lived in Lincoln your whole life, or have no clue what LA has. Or both.

To tell someone that is just irresponsible and stupid.

Everyone knows that's a ridiculous statement.

Take it from someone who KNOWS, Omaha doesn't have a FRACTION of what LA has.

Town pride is great, but don't kid yourself. Delusion is still delusion no matter how good it makes you feel.

Lol, it always amuses me that people think their personal preferences are a solid foundation for an argument.

I guess when your state is bankrupt, your jobs are being taken by illegal aliens who will do it better for half the cost, and you pay approximately twice as much for everything, you need to come to message boards and spout off about how "awesome" it is, to feel like you're getting your money's worth.

That's all well and good. But don't make the mistake of thinking that everyone in the world is as impressed by an ocean, mountains, and palm trees as you seem to be.

"Celebrities are fun too..."? Lol, wtf does that even mean? Are you Perez Hilton? What a hilarious post.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,366,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agskinner View Post
I can understand why people don't like it, but to imply Omaha has everything minus the traffic is just plain dense.

I will say Tampa doesn't really compare to LA, but I get your point.

Beaches, mountains, palm trees, and all that I mentioned aren't for everyone.
No one here is implying that Omaha has everything. It's not for everyone, I guess, including you. California is a beautiful state and I've been there many times. Omaha has a lot to offer for a city it's size (I've lived in a number of cities). I personally think L.A. is a great place to visit, especially the beach communities, but the air quality is horrible, as is the traffic. A current co-worker of mine from Dana Point (LA area) loves the fact that she's no longer judged by her looks, the car she drives, people thinking that the Kardashians are "important", and the general overall superficiality of the place.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:47 AM

8,065 posts, read 8,669,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
No one here is implying that Omaha has everything. It's not for everyone, I guess, including you. California is a beautiful state and I've been there many times. Omaha has a lot to offer for a city it's size (I've lived in a number of cities). I personally think L.A. is a great place to visit, especially the beach communities, but the air quality is horrible, as is the traffic. A current co-worker of mine from Dana Point (LA area) loves the fact that she's no longer judged by her looks, the car she drives, people thinking that the Kardashians are "important", and the general overall superficiality of the place.
People judge others regardless of where you live. Believe it or not the LA area has many average looking people who get up and go to work and come home. And lead lives very similar to Omaha and other places.

They have no connection to the entertainment industry.

They're also not impressed with movie stars. In fact in my 20 yrs there I have seen several famous people(usually in the supermarket) and people don't bother them. Or get excited about them.

I think the poster who moved from Omaha to LA is in a "honeymoon phase" that is normal when you move to a new place. That will fade as the newness wears off.

And Dana Point is not close to LA or even in LA County, it is almost to San Diego County and has a hoity toity reputation. I'm sure you can find the same snotty attitude in parts of Omaha or any place in America whether it is the River Oaks section of Houston or Birmingham outside of Detroit, Michagan.

If she had been living in Reseda, CA( working class suburb of LA in the San Ferando Valley) she would have had different experiences.

Last edited by seain dublin; 12-20-2011 at 01:58 AM..

Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 AM

220 posts, read 53,090 times
I've enjoyed everywhere I've lived. Whether or not you decide to enjoy living in Omaha depends on whether or not you want to enjoy it.

Regarding politics, when I meet somebody, I have no idea how they vote. It's only the fringe people, on either side of the aisle, that can't get along.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM

883 posts, read 879,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
I personally think L.A. is a great place to visit, especially the beach communities, but the air quality is horrible
Omaha's air quality is nothing to brag about.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:46 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,888,901 times
F8doggie I see we share the same zip code but not the same politics LOL. Do you have any examples of your sculptures on display or pictures of them? I am going to be moving from 68510 and a dumpy 2 bedroom apartment to a luxury apartment in an area around Holmes Lake when my current lease expires in June. I am looking for some art work by local artists to decorate the new apartment and as possible investments. I do some amateur machine work on metal lathes and metal mills and Bronze works always get my attention. I have my DM turned off but if you do have some photos of your work drop me a note on this forum and I can turn it on.
Thanks,GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha