Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 PM

220 posts, read 376,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agskinner View Post
Couldn't be more wrong. But good to see you love to assume things about people you've had NO prior interaction with.
You failed to tell me what "my stance" is. And you claim that I assume things, while assuming things about me. Kind of a double-failure.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
But I appreciate your post. My original point was that LA has more tangible things to offer than Omaha. Period.
That depends entirely on what you consider to be important. Therefore, it is - as I've said before - your opinion.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:48 PM

142 posts, read 289,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBanson View Post
That depends entirely on what you consider to be important. Therefore, it is - as I've said before - your opinion.

No see you can't tell me that professional sports teams, countless sources of shopping, geographic locations of entertainment is not TANGIBLE.

You know what tangible is right?

Beaches are REAL, thus offering fans of beaches something Omaha doesn't.
Mountains are REAL, thus offering fans of mountains something Omaha doesn't.
Palm Trees are REAL, thus offering fans of palm trees something Omaha doesn't.

To people who love sitting by the ocean, that is something they love as an option.

The LA Lakers, Clippers, and Kings are all REAL tangible things. Options.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:52 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
People judge others regardless of where you live. Believe it or not the LA area has many average looking people who get up and go to work and come home. And lead lives very similar to Omaha and other places.

They have no connection to the entertainment industry.

They're also not impressed with movie stars. In fact in my 20 yrs there I have seen several famous people(usually in the supermarket) and people don't bother them. Or get excited about them.

I think the poster who moved from Omaha to LA is in a "honeymoon phase" that is normal when you move to a new place. That will fade as the newness wears off.

And Dana Point is not close to LA or even in LA County, it is almost to San Diego County and has a hoity toity reputation. I'm sure you can find the same snotty attitude in parts of Omaha or any place in America whether it is the River Oaks section of Houston or Birmingham outside of Detroit, Michagan.

If she had been living in Reseda, CA( working class suburb of LA in the San Ferando Valley) she would have had different experiences.
Dana Point is in Orange County-----part of the Los Angeles metro area. It is not part of San Diego's metro area.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You failed to tell me what "my stance" is. And you claim that I assume things, while assuming things about me. Kind of a double-failure.

Yeah I did.

Previous posting:

Quote:
I've enjoyed everywhere I've lived. Whether or not you decide to enjoy living in Omaha depends on whether or not you want to enjoy it.

Regarding politics, when I meet somebody, I have no idea how they vote. It's only the fringe people, on either side of the aisle, that can't get along.

Further more, I completely agree with you on this.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

92 posts, read 187,806 times
No one is arguing that. But you huffed and puffed into this thread, as if these things are (or should be?) important to everyone. Some people like oak trees more than palm trees. What is your fascination with palm trees, and why should anyone consider them better than trees in Omaha that SoCal doesn't have?

Lol at "mountains". People in western Nebraska are closer to real mountains than anyone in SoCal is.

Meanwhile, you're putting up everything in Southern California (basically half of an entire state) against Omaha alone. Why don't you compare Omaha to Reseda, or another city that is more accurate on scale.

Of course Omaha can't compare to the entire region of Southern California in the amount of tangible things to do. Just like Southern California can't compare to the entire continent of Europe.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Dana Point is in Orange County-----part of the Los Angeles metro area. It is not part of San Diego's metro area.

Dana Point is actually closer to SD. Or at least in between them.

But really SD up to LA is all one huge area. Few gaps but mostly populated areas.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
No see you can't tell me that professional sports teams, countless sources of shopping, geographic locations of entertainment is not TANGIBLE.

You know what tangible is right?

Beaches are REAL, thus offering fans of beaches something Omaha doesn't.
Mountains are REAL, thus offering fans of mountains something Omaha doesn't.
Palm Trees are REAL, thus offering fans of palm trees something Omaha doesn't.

To people who love sitting by the ocean, that is something they love as an option.

The LA Lakers, Clippers, and Kings are all REAL tangible things. Options.
But what about those of us - and frankly there are millions of us - who could NOT care less about professional sports teams? Or beaches. Or palm trees. Or Kobe Bryant.

What you completely fail to understand is that there are tens of millions of people who simply don't care about those things you seem to believe are of utmost importance.

Feel free to spend $100 to drink beer & watch the Clippers lose again. I'm not the least bit interested.

And since you tried to "school" me as to the definition of tangible, let me ask you if an affordable house is something that's tangible? Is a relatively stable city economy something that is tangible? Is being able to hop on my motorcycle and be out of the city in 10 minutes something that's tangible?

Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley55 View Post
Meanwhile, you're putting up everything in Southern California (basically half of an entire state) against Omaha alone. Why don't you compare Omaha to Reseda, or another city that is more accurate on scale.

Of course Omaha can't compare to the entire region of Southern California in the amount of tangible things to do. Just like Southern California can't compare to the entire continent of Europe.

I agree, but my original posting had more things about LA than we have debated since that.

And I don't care if you think I huffed and puffed. He wrote a long post and ended with a ridiculous statement.

How else should I approach someone implying Omaha has what LA offers.

Pro sports, loads of shopping, beaches, mountains. And yes, the Rockies are very large mountains, but there are still plenty of mountains in CA much larger than Omaha. Western Nebraska isn't Omaha, so you can't leave out OC and SD but include the fact West Nebraska is closer to larger mountains.

If you spend more time worrying about a persons tone or presentation you will miss a lot of content.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:04 PM

92 posts, read 187,806 times
Quote:
But what about those of us - and frankly there are millions of us - who could NOT care less about professional sports teams? Or beaches. Or palm trees. Or Kobe Bryant.

What you completely fail to understand is that there are tens of millions of people who simply don't care about those things you seem to believe are of utmost importance.

Feel free to spend $100 to drink beer & watch the Clippers lose again. I'm not the least bit interested.

And since you tried to "school" me as to the definition of tangible, let me ask you if an affordable house is something that's tangible? Is a relatively stable city economy something that is tangible? Is being able to hop on my motorcycle and be out of the city in 10 minutes something that's tangible?
Yes, these things are all tangible. But they aren't important to him specifically, and thus Omaha can't offer what LA can in terms of tangible things.

BUT, HOLY ****, check this out! You can be at Disneyland in 20 minutes (or 4 hours in traffic, roughly the same time as a flight from Omaha).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha