U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 07:18 PM

13,921 posts, read 19,107,941 times

Advertisements

Bump!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 03:18 PM

906 posts, read 1,534,763 times
I'd make it illegal for anybody to leave the house in sweatpants.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:50 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,694,847 times
.... Yess.......

Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 PM

481 posts, read 1,151,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmen View Post
i'd make it illegal for anybody to leave the house in sweatpants.
+1

Old 09-29-2012, 06:03 AM

181 posts, read 282,921 times
First, the new mayor needs to not be a former city council person, or some icon/known person of Omaha. "Old" blood will only bring along with it the favors and special interests that compound the political avenue.

Then, the new mayor needs to build a reputation of trust with the public. A mayor should be a liaison between the unions and the council, not the one drafting or taking political sides with the contracts -- this only compounds the trust and special interests I already mentioned. The mayor should work with the council and the public. The current mayor and many of the former, do not seem to have much of an engagement with the taxpayers.

I think the mayor needs to be a more genuine individual that at least comes off as if he cares about the feedback he/she receives. Having a mayor and council that at least try to find a happy medium would be nice. A little compromise can go far.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
First, the new mayor needs to not be a former city council person, or some icon/known person of Omaha. "Old" blood will only bring along with it the favors and special interests that compound the political avenue.

Then, the new mayor needs to build a reputation of trust with the public. A mayor should be a liaison between the unions and the council, not the one drafting or taking political sides with the contracts -- this only compounds the trust and special interests I already mentioned. The mayor should work with the council and the public. The current mayor and many of the former, do not seem to have much of an engagement with the taxpayers.

I think the mayor needs to be a more genuine individual that at least comes off as if he cares about the feedback he/she receives. Having a mayor and council that at least try to find a happy medium would be nice. A little compromise can go far.
Interesting post. Here are my thoughts.

- Could go either way on the "new blood" argument. Pros and cons to both sides of that coin. Generally speaking though, it's not something that would sway my vote one way or another.

- I agree on the trust bit, and think Suttle did a pretty good job on that front. He was far more engaged with the public at the beginning of his term with the public meetings. Generally though, the people who attended these meetings were just looking to ***** about taxes and I think Suttle said "**** it".

Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,813,259 times
What type of background do you mean by "new blood?" Like a local business person or local philanthropist or something different?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:42 PM

181 posts, read 282,921 times
I could go with a business person, or philanthropist. But that has its limits. Take the former burger king owner, Mike Simmonds. Definitely has the business background, but when it comes to legislation (like smoking or restaurant tax) what side would he take? If my memory serves me correctly, he was one of the people behind one of the measures to block some legislation that dealt with the restaurants. I can't recall specifically what, it was in the mid to late 1990's if I recall.

Philanthropist? Again, whose side would they be on. Any person you can think of would probably have a bias in some way.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:48 PM

Mike Simmonds is also a staunchly anti-union type. Probably not the best bet for creating harmony between the city, the unions, and the citizens.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,813,259 times
That is what I am thinking. It is going to be tough to find someone that doesn't look out for their friends at least a little bit.

I mean looking at Suttle he has a very good background for a city like Omaha and our city's goals. He was VP of corporate development at HDR. I am not saying he is the sole reason for the corporate construction boom lately(CSG, TD Ameritrade and now Gavilon have all built new major office spaces in the city during Suttle's term), but I do think his background in corporate development helps with things like this.

Suttle also has background as transportation planning in similar sized cities Wichita and Albuquerque. I think it is a fair statement to say our bus system is at least a little better than before he took office. He was also instrumental in securing a large amount of federal funding for the current transit study.

Anyways, I think it would be really hard in Omaha for a mayor candidate to get elected without a little public experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or