Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 06:34 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times

Advertisements

I use to live in southwest Iowa, about halfway between Omaha and Des Moines, now live in Colorado. Growing up I would visit both places and liked them both, but because of media painting the area as boring, I left for Denver.

Now I am in Denver, and yeah, there is a lot going on... you have to be pretty well off to afford to have fun though. I can't believe the cost of living out here, and that is before you try to spend money on fun things. So I am considering moving to Omaha, it seems like when I left the area 5-6 years ago it was just starting to catch momentum becoming "cool" like Des Moines was able to do a little bit earlier. (Like general consensus, media portrayal cool)

Has it hit that critical mass yet? And is there any exciting development going on in the city?

I am 25 and my 23 year old brother would be coming with me, we like the music scene there, and boating on the Missouri is awesome. We know there are things to do, but we were wondering if the youth of the area is still running to other cities like we did initially or if it has become cool enough that young people are staying and young people are actually moving in from other cities.

P.S. does anyone have video of the streetscape/peoplescape of the Old Market on a weekend night? Could someone take video like this for me? I have looked all over youtube and can not find any good videos of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I use to live in southwest Iowa, about halfway between Omaha and Des Moines, now live in Colorado. Growing up I would visit both places and liked them both, but because of media painting the area as boring, I left for Denver.

Now I am in Denver, and yeah, there is a lot going on... you have to be pretty well off to afford to have fun though. I can't believe the cost of living out here, and that is before you try to spend money on fun things. So I am considering moving to Omaha, it seems like when I left the area 5-6 years ago it was just starting to catch momentum becoming "cool" like Des Moines was able to do a little bit earlier. (Like general consensus, media portrayal cool)

Has it hit that critical mass yet? And is there any exciting development going on in the city?

I am 25 and my 23 year old brother would be coming with me, we like the music scene there, and boating on the Missouri is awesome. We know there are things to do, but we were wondering if the youth of the area is still running to other cities like we did initially or if it has become cool enough that young people are staying and young people are actually moving in from other cities.

P.S. does anyone have video of the streetscape/peoplescape of the Old Market on a weekend night? Could someone take video like this for me? I have looked all over youtube and can not find any good videos of it.
My son lives close to Omaha and he took me to Old Market about a month ago. It absolutely floored me. I had not been in downtown Omaha in 20 years to club it or eat out. It's a total transformation. For young people, in their 20's and 30's especially, this is hangout heaven. Cool shops, restaurants of all kinds, live music both in clubs and on the streets, loft apartments being put in the upper floors of almost all the old warehouse buildings, and easy access with the freeways both in and out of the area. What a draw for Omaha.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
My son lives close to Omaha and he took me to Old Market about a month ago. It absolutely floored me. I had not been in downtown Omaha in 20 years to club it or eat out. It's a total transformation. For young people, in their 20's and 30's especially, this is hangout heaven. Cool shops, restaurants of all kinds, live music both in clubs and on the streets, loft apartments being put in the upper floors of almost all the old warehouse buildings, and easy access with the freeways both in and out of the area. What a draw for Omaha.
That is what I was hoping to hear. My brother and I's line of work pays better out there, and everything is cheaper. This alone is almost enough to make us move there, but it definitely helps to hear how happening the Old Market is.

I almost feel like I am sacrificing LoDo, the 16th St. Mall, concert venues... etc, by leaving here for Omaha, but I realize that I could afford to get out and do things like that far more often if I was spending less on rent and such.

Does downtown Omaha or the Old Market have anything like the 16th St. Mall? Just a central hangout of sorts?

Also, does anyone have any opinions about Midtown/Dundee/Benson? How far of a walk or skateboard ride is it to downtown and the Old Market from these places? I also wonder if the main strips of these places have the "cool" apartments above businesses configuration in any good numbers.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:11 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Hello friend from the Broncos thread!

Quote:
The development slowed some with the 2007 recession, but things have really picked up over the last 12 months or so. Just from my recollection, there are several new buildings going up around Downtown and the formerly vacant Northern Natural Gas building (tallest building in Midtown) is in the process of being converted to apartments.

Quote:
Omaha is definitely reaching the stage where young people are staying and actually migrating there, but it's still early in that process.

Quote:
Here's the best I could find with a quick search. I'd go shoot some video for you if I was still there.

Driving Through The Old Market In Omaha Dec 27 2009 - YouTube

JoeCubicle - OldMarket in Downtown Omaha - YouTube

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
That is what I was hoping to hear. My brother and I's line of work pays better out there, and everything is cheaper. This alone is almost enough to make us move there, but it definitely helps to hear how happening the Old Market is.
Just curious, but what line of work are you in?

Quote:
I almost feel like I am sacrificing LoDo, the 16th St. Mall, concert venues... etc, by leaving here for Omaha, but I realize that I could afford to get out and do things like that far more often if I was spending less on rent and such.

Does downtown Omaha or the Old Market have anything like the 16th St. Mall? Just a central hangout of sorts?
The Old Market, Downtown Benson and Midtown Crossing would be your best bets. Is it the same as what Denver has to offer? No, but it's still pretty damn cool.

Quote:
Also, does anyone have any opinions about Midtown/Dundee/Benson? How far of a walk or skateboard ride is it to downtown and the Old Market from these places? I also wonder if the main strips of these places have the "cool" apartments above businesses configuration in any good numbers.
I love Midtown, Dundee and Benson, and they've both changed a lot for the better since I moved to Florida in 2002. You had them in correct order as far as their distance from Downtown. Walking from Midtown would be super easy, but while Dundee and Benson would be doable I would probably want to drive or catch a taxi/bus. You might want to check this out as well.

http://www.thehighlineomaha.com/

The Highline is the former Northern Natural Gas building I mentioned before.

Let us know if we can give you anymore help!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Hello friend from the Broncos thread!

The development slowed some with the 2007 recession, but things have really picked up over the last 12 months or so. Just from my recollection, there are several new buildings going up around Downtown and the formerly vacant Northern Natural Gas building (tallest building in Midtown) is in the process of being converted to apartments.

Omaha is definitely reaching the stage where young people are staying and actually migrating there, but it's still early in that process.

Here's the best I could find with a quick search. I'd go shoot some video for you if I was still there.

Driving Through The Old Market In Omaha Dec 27 2009 - YouTube

JoeCubicle - OldMarket in Downtown Omaha - YouTube
Of course, a Bronco fan to the rescue, how fitting!

Thanks for the vids, for some reasons my searches on Youtube didn't turn those up.

I was kinda hoping to get in on the ground floor of Omaha becoming cool, so that it is early in the process is good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Just curious, but what line of work are you in?
I am mostly product fulfillment, but I do shipping and receiving. My bro is a shipping/receiving pro with years of forklift certification.

Quote:
The Old Market, Downtown Benson and Midtown Crossing would be your best
bets. Is it the same as what Denver has to offer? No, but it's still pretty damn
cool.
I didn't figure it would offer on the same level of Denver, just looking for that central hangout spot albeit on a smaller scale. I imagine that Omaha downtown has a similar "party" feel to it in the downtown districts as Denver does late on a weekend night. Of course I am losing the pro-sports and stuff. but hey, I have a really nice TV so I can watch those events anywhere, ha ha.

Quote:
I love Midtown, Dundee and Benson, and they've both changed a lot for the
better since I moved to Florida in 2002. You had them in correct order as far as
their distance from Downtown. Walking from Midtown would be super easy, but
while Dundee and Benson would be doable I would probably want to drive or catch
a taxi/bus.
Cool, sounds like Midtown or the Old Market would be the best for me while I am younger. Does Dundee have a good amount of prospects for rehab or are most of the houses already well kept? I always have figured when I am at buying a house stage I would love to get a historic house and restore/update it. If not, are there any good central neighborhoods that are good for that purpose?

Quote:
You might want to check this out as well.

The Highline | The Highline Apartments OmahaThe Highline Apartments Omaha

The Highline is the former Northern Natural Gas building I mentioned before.
That looks pretty nice. Has a very cosmopolitan look to it.

I tend to love the older mixed use buildings best though, I use to have an apartment above a bar in a turn of the century brick building, and I loved it more than any other place I have been, and would like to try that again.

Quote:
Let us know if we can give you anymore help!
Will do, you have been more than helpful thus far, thank you.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:16 PM

573 posts, read 1,049,611 times
Omaha is awesome. There is definitely a lot going on in omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: