Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 02:47 PM

6 posts, read 8,135 times

Advertisements

Hello all:

Been lurking around these forums for a little while now, expecting to get told by my employer that they would be moving my family and I to Omaha sometime in the Spring. We were officially notified this week, so we are now on a heavy-duty fact-finding mission.

We are seriously interested in the area(s) of Field Club and Dundee (more so Field Club) with the prevalence of old homes that have been restored, etc. While we think we have a fair idea of what we're getting into by looking at this area with respect to location, the main challenge that we still face (and are yet to resolve) is the issue of schools.

It seems like everyone I run into says to stay away from OPS. I can certainly understand where that is probably coming from and I don't discount it, but if we were to purchase a home in any of the areas above, OPS is obviously the home school district.

We are not independently wealthy and my spouse currently does not work, so expensive private school is not an option. We have two little ones ages 3 and 4, both of which will be of school age within the next year or two.

Was wondering if anyone could provide any insights on Field Club Elementary or the general public schools in the area. On paper, Field Club's student scores and school make-up are less than impressive.

Right now, our game plan is (if we end up buying in the area above) (A) apply in open enrollment to District 66, Millard, or anywhere other than OPS... (B) apply for an in-district transfer/enrollment to send our kids to Dundee... and (C) go to Field Club Elementary.

Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:31 PM

688 posts, read 1,244,083 times
Very sorry to not have advice about schools (mine are grown) but I just want to say that Field Club is a great area to live- I am looking in that area when I move back- and - I hope you like Omaha. I'm not there right now- but my family is- and just want to say Welcome! Hope someone will respond with advice about schools.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:19 PM

624 posts, read 1,305,979 times
If you end up not being comfortable with OPS, 66 is your best bet (I went there). If anything, Millard is marginally better than Westside, but it's a lot farther away. For elementary schools in 66, the closest you'll have is Hillside (76th & Western) and Westbrook (78th and Western), which are both just a short drive west on Underwood/Cass and a jog north to either. They are the only schools north of Dodge Street and are likely recognized as the "ghetto" schools of Westside for that reason. They both carry more minority students than the other westside schools, but they aren't "bad". If you don't like the idea of diversity, then theres Loveland that is the closest one south of Dodge (80th and Pacific). Everybody goes to Westside Middle School, who most students didn't like, but it's worth going Westside High School. The high school does modular scheduling which gives students more independence to use their off time to study, or if they don't need it, go home. I always felt that I had a great opportunity to meet my teachers during school rather than having to wait till after school, and every day has a different schedule so it's not so repetitive. The underlying theme at Westside is more responsibility and variety for the student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: