Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,181,392 times

Advertisements

Bosco had a really good idea with the mayor thread and I figured I would steal it.

It is pretty basic, with the future of the arena uncertain what would you do with the property?

Now it would be nice to keep it in the realm of possibility. Of course we would all love a new super tall tower, but lets keep it somewhat reasonable.

I have a vague plan for my idea that I want to think about a bit more. Feel free to share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 12:31 AM

14,561 posts, read 22,994,872 times
Sweet! I can influence people!

I'll have to give this one some thought get back to you.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:29 AM

817 posts, read 1,763,782 times
I would like to see a mixed use midrise to highrise building. 200+ apartments and room for several business on the ground floor. Rather than a parking garage build the parking in the basement. land is TOO valuable to waste on more parking. It gives nothing in return for the space it uses.

Looking at how large the property is, perhaps even get a supermaket to take a spot in the building.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:39 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,463,791 times
Helicopter Tours?

Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,664,880 times
Ahh it's good to see the forum come alive again. Anyway... what about a pedestrian oriented district? In the center there would be a nice plaza with statues of influential people from the city's history and maybe some kind of fountain. There could be all kinds of street performances and maybe... maybe like a flea market kind of thing? An urban supermarket, and finally apartments and condos above it all.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:38 PM

216 posts, read 947,730 times
Keep it, turn back time when people could see major concerts there for $6.00 to $9.00 with artist worth seeing.

They could make it a multi-use facility with indoor putt putt golf, rock climbing, rides, inflatable bounce houses and slides that won't blow your kids away, flea market on weekends (as mentioned). Change the uses inside according to the seasons, that way there's things to do when it's winter, different options with a/c in the summer.
Totally change the place to be like WeekiWachee.com

The Music Hall should be kept if possible if they destruct the place. I've seen some good acoustical concerts there in the past. Ones in the Exhibit Hall were horrible.

Last edited by SandmanSand; 12-07-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,994,872 times
Ok, so I sat down and gave this one some thought finally. A part of me will be sad to see the Civic go, as there is a decent amount of history there as well as some personal memories. That said, I think that building's time has come and the Qwest has essentially made it obsolete.

I'm not crazy about the flea market idea. I guess it could be done right, but the flea markets I've been to have not exactly been an example of something I'd want right in the middle of our urban core. I think the pedestrian plaza idea could work though. A good mixed use tower with apartments would be a good use of that land, although we could probably fit several buildings on that plot of land.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM

142 posts, read 288,679 times
Tear it down.

Parking garage.

City could make revenue, and people complain less about "no parking".

CWS, Arena, and other down town events would all have parking issues relieved, and local office buildings would benefit.

Not just a 2 story, 3 or 4. Go for broke. Multi-level.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,524,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agskinner View Post
Tear it down.

Parking garage.

City could make revenue, and people complain less about "no parking".

CWS, Arena, and other down town events would all have parking issues relieved, and local office buildings would benefit.

Not just a 2 story, 3 or 4. Go for broke. Multi-level.

i second agskinner's suggestion.

and while we are on the subject of downtown, I wish something would be done about 16th street.

it is a eyesore

Old 12-20-2011, 10:58 AM

142 posts, read 288,679 times
To me a parking garage is actually something you can demonstrate a need for, and doesn't require some corporation to move 1000's of jobs.

Building a really tall building is cool, but you need A LOT more than just build a building that really tall.

Who occupies it? Who pays for it? Who manages it? Will they just buy the land from Omaha?

The Civic Parking Garage.

5 stories, 100 spots per level. 500 total spots. $5 a day. = $2500 a day for 2 weeks in June. If the city could pocket $35,000 from one parking garage during the CWS I think it more than makes up for what it pulls now.

Of course, the city would probably charge $10 or more a day, probably $20 during the CWS.

Throughout the year, businesses could negoiate rates for an entire floor or certain spaces and the city would pocket the revenue all year long.

Omaha needs more revenue streams. They've used the wheel tax, and other taxes as much as they can. There are plenty of things Omaha residents would glady pay for if it made their day easier.

Parking, transportation, home care services, etc. Omaha needs to get creative.

Last edited by agskinner; 12-20-2011 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: