U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 07:51 PM

142 posts, read 161,730 times

Advertisements

So there is a guy posting about how his 240K doesn't go very far in CA.

He's bitching and moaning because he lives in a neighborhood that would be pretty close to some midtown locations, not Dundee.

It just bothered me because he speaks as if he is owed something or like he's better than what his money gets him.

Obviously, Fair Acres would be out of his reach, I just don't see that as an option for him. Am I wrong?

I just think he's a guy who feels money makes you great, when his character is obviously crappy. I just think he doesn't like living amongst some "regular" people.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:44 AM

10,970 posts, read 9,883,326 times
Are we talking $240k just for a house, or is that his salary?

Either way, he could live EXTREMELY comfortably in Omaha with that kind of money.

Old 12-30-2011, 02:27 PM

His salary.

It could for sure.

I just found his whole attitude funny.

As if he's disappointed because he can't live next to the Hiltons with his 240K a year job.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:09 PM

881 posts, read 865,664 times
Without knowing anything more than what you said, I bet he's making that salary *because* he lives in CA. A comparable job, if it exists in Omaha, would probably pay much less.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Without knowing anything more than what you said, I bet he's making that salary *because* he lives in CA. A comparable job, if it exists in Omaha, would probably pay much less.

Not that much less.

But that's not really the question I'm asking.

Where could this guy live in Omaha, based on his salary? Regency? Everywhere?

I guess he was saying he's got a lot of debt from school and is fairly young.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:12 PM

881 posts, read 865,664 times
Well, the question doesn't really make sense for a number of reasons, but mainly because if he's making the money in California, it wouldn't make any sense for him to live in Omaha.

Old 12-30-2011, 06:28 PM

795 posts, read 732,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Well, the question doesn't really make sense for a number of reasons, but mainly because if he's making the money in California, it wouldn't make any sense for him to live in Omaha.
And that your opinion, it's wrong, but still your opinion.

He would likely take about a 10-15% pay cut to live in Omaha but would make that up in a MUCH lower cost in living.

So even if he was making JUST 200k a year he could get a house just about anywhere in the city.

That kind of income could keep a 500k house easily and a 700k house with some proper budget management. In California that would be a small home, but in omaha that is almost a mansion.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:37 PM

Look:

Person A makes $240K a year. In Omaha and LOVES IT. He has debt, not astronomical, but enough to have some normal payments. Car loans, regular bills etc.
No other factors to talk about change. Just this question:

Could he afford a home in Regency, Fair Acres, etc with regular other bills: cars, debt, etc...

THATS all Im asking. Not IF he'd make 240K in Omaha or would he.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
That kind of income could keep a 500k house easily and a 700k house with some proper budget management. In California that would be a small home, but in omaha that is almost a mansion.

I'm not worried about the concept of would he make 240K.

So with what you know, he could afford a home in Fair Acres or Regency with 240K and other normal bills he'd have?

He's just an average person with money management. Not a wiz.

I'm trying to find out if anyone knows within some degree, whether a normal person with normal bills who makes 240K a year could own a nice home in Regency or Fair Acres.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 AM

696 posts, read 924,116 times
240k = 20k month = $4000 / month for a house.
This would buy him a house around a 750000 with 20% down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha