U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 AM

102 posts, read 151,281 times

Advertisements

As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Lincoln, having heard and read for years about its superior quality of life. Though a number of other locales are on my list (Madison, WI, Milwaukee, Ann Arbor, Columbia MO, Columbus, Stevens Point, Rochester MN, Des Moines, Iowa City, Twin Cities, to name a few in the midwest alone), Lincoln is high on my list of choices. I would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, physically active (hiking, running, birding), follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Would the Lincoln be a good fit? Any additional information about living in the Lincoln is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 11:56 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npauthor View Post
As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Lincoln, having heard and read for years about its superior quality of life. Though a number of other locales are on my list (Madison, WI, Milwaukee, Ann Arbor, Columbia MO, Columbus, Stevens Point, Rochester MN, Des Moines, Iowa City, Twin Cities, to name a few in the midwest alone), Lincoln is high on my list of choices. I would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, physically active (hiking, running, birding), follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Would the Lincoln be a good fit? Any additional information about living in the Lincoln is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA
Ron, I like Lincoln. It's a great place to raise a family, but I wouldn't exactly call it progressive politically. It has a Democratic edge, and I guess it would be considered progressive by Nebraska standards, but it's got a way to go before it comes close to Iowa City, Madison or Ann Arbor; places that I think would be a better fit for you. I'm saying this as a progressive. If you really want to explore the Nebraska option, I'd look at Omaha, especially the eastern half of the city.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:55 PM

624 posts, read 1,105,030 times
I like Lincoln. It's a city with an abundance of walking trails and nice parks.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM

102 posts, read 151,281 times
Thanks for the replies. This does help.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM

187 posts, read 582,609 times
Haven't spent a ton of time in Lincoln lately, but I've always really liked there. It has a different feel to it than Omaha due to the university and the government presence there, but I've always heard favorable things overall.

Lincoln also has some awesome neighborhoods (don't know too much insider info though) and a good nightlife.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 PM

906 posts, read 1,538,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npauthor View Post
I am very progressive, physically active (hiking, running, birding), follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days.
The closest anything in Nebraska comes to being vegan is Maggies Vegetarian Wraps in the Haymarket (downtown). But Lincoln is about the least animal-friendly city I've ever been to. We looked at about 12 different apartment buildings in Lincoln, NONE of which allowed any pets. Lincoln caters especially to students and also to government workers. If you're neither of those, you might feel out of place there. If I were you, as a progressive, active, vegan, I'd stay put right where you are in Oakland.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:38 AM

437 posts, read 556,781 times
I've been reading about a LOT of changes within Lincoln, in the past year. I'd like to renew this thread, and see if anyone with firsthand knowledge, living there now, has anything new to add to this gentleman's query.

Selfishly, I'm also adding to it 'cause I too am lookin' at Lincoln as a place for a woman in her early 50's to settle down.... And the Downtown area seems to have had quite a BOOM in the last year or two, with walkable areas all around. <----very important, as I won't have a car.

Unlike the OP, I don't mind the students. As a matter of fact, they make me feel young, even if I make a dork outta myself.

Any info would be appreciated.

bullie~

Last edited by bullie62; 07-07-2013 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: Read rules about using word "bumping" AFTER the fact. Changing it now.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:30 PM

177 posts, read 375,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullie62 View Post
I've been reading about a LOT of changes within Lincoln, in the past year. I'd like to renew this thread, and see if anyone with firsthand knowledge, living there now, has anything new to add to this gentleman's query.

Selfishly, I'm also adding to it 'cause I too am lookin' at Lincoln as a place for a woman in her early 50's to settle down.... And the Downtown area seems to have had quite a BOOM in the last year or two, with walkable areas all around. <----very important, as I won't have a car.

Unlike the OP, I don't mind the students. As a matter of fact, they make me feel young, even if I make a dork outta myself.

Any info would be appreciated.

bullie~
Well, hello! I do not live in Lincoln just yet, but hopefully very soon. Once a residence opens up into one of the communities for which I've applied, I'll be happily on my way there. There are three categories of people I see in and around Lincoln, the first being young college students. From my experience, they seem friendly enough and do contribute to the good vibes of the city. The second group are families, and I know Lincoln rates high on the scales as a good place to raise a family. Lastly, I've seen more than the average number of people who are 50+ when compared to other cities this size. There are quite a few 55 and older residential communities in the city because I've tried to qualify to get in them since I have a disabled mother. My search for the perfect place actually started in Omaha, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that Lincoln also met quite a number of my needs, despite the fact it is much smaller. Now, I prefer Omaha as a whole and hope to one day have the chance to relocate there permanently, but I think Lincoln is the more appropriate town for my personal situation at this time. My mother would fare better in a smaller city, and my roommate, who is my mom's primary caretaker, is already registered as a student at one the colleges in Lincoln.

I do think Lincoln's downtown is great and becoming even better with every new visit. The only negative I would say to living there without a vehicle is that downtown caters more to the dining out and entertainment crowd than it does to everyday living, like convenience to markets. I'm sure it would require a bus ride for any major grocery shopping or retail. If you are active and owned a bike, you could reach many sections of the city because Lincoln is very bike friendly with numerous trails that go for miles. As for things to do, well, that list grows on a regular basis. There are a few museums, a small children's zoo, and lots of nightlife. In fact, there is one really neat little place in the Haymarket called the Starlight Lounge that serves all the old drinks of the past (Tom Collins, Harvey Wallbanger, and others). The ambience inside is very retro, and they play a lot of Frank and Dean standards, plus some 60's and 70's. The crowd is a great mix that ranges from college students up to ladies and gents well past 60. Lincoln also is a very community oriented city with opportunities to do volunteer work, if you look for them. I'm thinking this would be a good way to meet new people.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:07 PM

437 posts, read 556,781 times
Well since retiring without the need for a car is important to *some*, read ME, HAH, I welcome your input, as so many sites tout this city as being a great place for allowing grocery, bank, library, etc, WITHOUT one.

And when you arrive, please come back and offer your first hand knowledge. For someone who is "getting up there" in age, biking isn't so much a priority as is basic goods.... as you said, grocery shopping, banks, etc...

Check back, OK? And good luck on the move for you all. I'm personally interested in hearing first hand check ins about how easy it is to get around the Downtown, sans car. Is there public transportation available yet? Is it in the works? You being a first hand account, will be very valuable!

And the OP and OTHERS may have more interests in your post, and I hope they respond!

bullie~

Old 07-09-2013, 05:59 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,709,718 times
There is public transit in Lincoln. Now, as for how reliable it is, that I don't know.

Here is the Bus system's mildly dated website, though.

Lincoln StarTran Bus Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or