U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 AM

475 posts, read 2,037,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Only 1 city each from NY & NJ
Keeping in mind... these studies are obviously focusing in on the metropolitan area level. Is there a New York city outside of upstate that ISN'T in the New York MSA (20 million people?!) ??

Now to be sure... Nebraska taxes are higher than most of the nation. But I'd like to, once again, point out that it's property taxes driving most of that... and if you look at your levy breakdown... you'll see that the vast majority of those property taxes are going to your local schools. The statistics show that Nebraska students are scoring among the highest in the nation in assessments. I like to think you get what you paid for. Now, if you're retired... empty nester... (maybe not evening considering having a family)... then I'd suggest you move to Arizona. Great weather... low taxes! (really bad schools)

And let's put aside taxes for a moment and contemplate what it would cost to replicate my $200,000... 3,000 square foot home in New York City for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM

2,585 posts, read 9,527,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Now to be sure... Nebraska taxes are higher than most of the nation. But I'd like to, once again, point out that it's property taxes driving most of that... and if you look at your levy breakdown... you'll see that the vast majority of those property taxes are going to your local schools. The statistics show that Nebraska students are scoring among the highest in the nation in assessments. I like to think you get what you paid for. Now, if you're retired... empty nester... (maybe not evening considering having a family)... then I'd suggest you move to Arizona. Great weather... low taxes! (really bad schools)

And let's put aside taxes for a moment and contemplate what it would cost to replicate my $200,000... 3,000 square foot home in New York City for.
Also look at the total picture of your income/expenses. Yes, as this poster said property taxes are high, but your complete standard of living will generally be higher here than other places. Taxes alone, yes its high... total cost of living, very nice... The housing example is just one real example of that...

Take a look at this Cost of Living Comparison Calculator that another forum member (can't remember who) posted a long time ago. You can put in your base salary and then select your current and new location. It will show you the difference in typical salary for the area, but then also the change in total cost of living for that area. Example: $50,000 in Omaha vs New York City is a 60% change in total cost of living (in Omaha's favor). It factors in those higher property taxes so is the total perspective I mentioned.

Last edited by Dave1215; 01-24-2008 at 09:16 AM..

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 AM

438 posts, read 1,383,483 times
I live in upstate New York and I just don't get the high tax complaints of others. We pay $3300 a year on our $116,000 house. On top of that we pay 8.25% sales tax in our county. Thankfully we don't pay state income tax here or else that would be yet another way we're getting robbed. On the other hand, our school district is absolutely phenomenal. As someone previously mentioned, you do get what you pay for.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM

884 posts, read 756,618 times
How about just an area’s average Disposable Income. To me that is the single most important indicator of cost of living in a given area. I guess there would be some variance with an areas average household income but you can adjust the figures.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,494 times
Ultimately, the relevant number is the total amount of money that it takes to live a given lifestyle. Yes, maybe our property taxes are a bit higher than most, but our cost of living, as a whole, is much lower than most. I have made this argument about a dozen times, but all people want to do is focus on the areas "tax rates." Well, the rates may be higher, but the home valuations are multiples lower...in the end you spend much much less to live in Omaha (and the rest of Nebraska for that matter), at a given level of luxury, than you do in most other areas of the U.S.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
I live in upstate New York and I just don't get the high tax complaints of others. We pay $3300 a year on our $116,000 house.
I pay $3,070 on $157,515 (2,100 square foot 3 bed 2 bath home).

Old 01-24-2008, 03:22 PM

438 posts, read 1,383,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
See, there's the difference. My house will probably sell for around $155,000-$160,000, but its only 1079 sq. ft. and has only 1 bath. So you get so much more for the money there. Also, I would gladly pay "higher" taxes if I get the same quality schools as I now have. I guess its all about perspective.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
See, there's the difference. My house will probably sell for around $155,000-$160,000, but its only 1079 sq. ft. and has only 1 bath. So you get so much more for the money there. Also, I would gladly pay "higher" taxes if I get the same quality schools as I now have. I guess its all about perspective.

Schools are very good and you have quite a few choices depending on the area you live.

fyi... local tax component of that tax bill can vary quite a bit - depending on the city you live in (or the SID if not in city corporate boundaries)... for reference, my bill was from City of Papillion, which is the lowest of the the metro cities/sids...

Old 01-24-2008, 09:34 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,161,863 times
Nebraska does not tax their groceries and people need to buy groceries to eat. Theoretically, a family spends $400 on groceries per month would save $288 a year if the sales tax was at 6% a year for everything else. That is one plus.

With Dave1215's figures, the property taxes may be comparable or somewhat lower than the property taxes in South Dakota, but South Dakota does not have an income tax, taxes their food, and its licensing for vehicles is between $38-$60 per vehicle.

Taxes may be higher in some areas and lower in other areas, but there are other factors such as price of housing, food, transportation costs (insurance, etc), and wages to consider.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Taxes may be higher in some areas and lower in other areas, but there are other factors such as price of housing, food, transportation costs (insurance, etc), and wages to consider.
You are correct and that's why I posted that Cost of Living Calculator in the earlier part of this thread. It does factor in those other considerations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or