Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,788 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone,

just curious to know if there are any New Yorkers that have made the move to Omaha.

Also are there any former Wall Streeters that have relocated?

What was the reason?
Where you able to able to find work? (how's the job market?)
What type of jobs are available?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,716 times
mydogchance: I relocated to the Omaha area, but not by choice. I was career Air Force, and transferred to Offutt AFB in 1962. In 1968, I was reassigned overseas for 3 years; I chose Offutt AFB as my retirement location when I was being reassigned stateside in 1971. I fell in love with the people in this area during my initial assignment here. I was then in the automatic data processing field (computers), so there was plenty of work to be had. I've since retired from the work force, and now reside in Papillion. This area will grow on you, Friend. The only harsh thing I have to say about Nebraska in general, beside the crazy weather, is that this place sure loves to tax you to death! [Frown]

Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
all the new yorkers are moving to Albuquerque and Phoenix.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
all the new yorkers are moving to Albuquerque and Phoenix.
"all" of them? that's a lot of people.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:43 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
"all" of them? that's a lot of people.

lol yeah all of them. I've read many of Desert Suns posts recently and they all tend to shy away from anything remotely close to making sense.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:09 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
lol yeah all of them. I've read many of Desert Suns posts recently and they all tend to shy away from anything remotely close to making sense.
Too funny. I think the "Sun" must be getting to them.

Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
mydogchance: I relocated to the Omaha area, but not by choice. I was career Air Force, and transferred to Offutt AFB in 1962. In 1968, I was reassigned overseas for 3 years; I chose Offutt AFB as my retirement location when I was being reassigned stateside in 1971. I fell in love with the people in this area during my initial assignment here. I was then in the automatic data processing field (computers), so there was plenty of work to be had. I've since retired from the work force, and now reside in Papillion. This area will grow on you, Friend. The only harsh thing I have to say about Nebraska in general, beside the crazy weather, is that this place sure loves to tax you to death! [Frown]
well i'm being tax for New York and New Jersey since I work in NYC and live in NJ... so i might actually find it to be a "relief" no? LOL

I guess time will tell... any other tidbits you could share about Omaha? By the way i'm relocating because i'm in a relationship with a guy that's from Omaha, so i already know the people are nice.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:30 AM

46 posts, read 239,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardhat View Post
This area will grow on you, Friend.
this is the truest thing ever posted.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvie View Post
well i'm being tax for New York and New Jersey since I work in NYC and live in NJ... so i might actually find it to be a "relief" no? LOL

I guess time will tell... any other tidbits you could share about Omaha? By the way i'm relocating because i'm in a relationship with a guy that's from Omaha, so i already know the people are nice.
All I can say is "be careful". My niece did that (relocate to Omaha for a guy) and it did not work out. She then went back to Cali. Nothing to do with Omaha, of course, It just didn't work.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 3,490 times
Taxes are based on per capita income. The cost of living here has almost tripled since I moved here, but the salaries haven't come CLOSE to matching it and NE continues to creep up the ranks of the highest taxed states... which is sad because there's NOTHING here (people from here get mad, but I don't go to bars - and that's about ALL they have - and a really cool zoo).

[url=http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/taxesbystate2005/index.html]CNNMoney.com: Taxes by state 2005, by rate[/url]
here's a year's jump:
[url=http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/10/pf/taxes/taxfriendly_states_2006/index.htm]How tax-friendly is your state? - Apr. 12, 2006[/url]

Only 1 city each from NY & NJ beat out Omaha's taxes [url=http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/taxesbycity2005/index.html]CNNMoney.com: Big city taxes 2005, by rank[/url]
again - up 3 places in just a year:
[url=http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/10/pf/taxes/taxfriendly_cities_2006/index.htm#table]Big-city taxes - Apr. 12, 2006[/url]

here's some historical taxing info:
[url=http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/466.html]The Tax Foundation - Nebraska's State and Local Tax Burden, 1970-2007[/url]

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvie View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha