U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-16-2012, 07:24 AM

5 posts, read 4,747 times
Default Douglas vs Sarpy County

We are considering a move to Omaha and I will be working downton at Creighton. Question is, are there any advantages of living in Sarpy vs Douglas county? We are looking at either Papillion or West Omaha suburbs. Initially we will rent a house then look to buy once we are more settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-16-2012, 07:34 AM

593 posts, read 519,445 times
If you are definitely looking for suburbs, go Sarpy over West Omaha. West Omaha drive to Creighton will be 25 - 30 minutes, and for Sarpy it will be 30 + minutes. There are tons of great houses within 10 minutes of Creighton, but that might not be your cup of tea.

Unread 01-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
If you are definitely looking for suburbs, go Sarpy over West Omaha. West Omaha drive to Creighton will be 25 - 30 minutes, and for Sarpy it will be 30 + minutes. There are tons of great houses within 10 minutes of Creighton, but that might not be your cup of tea.
Thanks for the quick reply! What is so advantageous about Sarpy over Douglas county though? never really looked at homes around Creighton. What neighborhoods are those, you mean like Midtown and Dundee areas?

Unread 01-16-2012, 08:51 AM

80 posts, read 109,510 times
There are also suburban developments on the Iowa side of the river. Some of these may be less driving time to Creighton than either West O or Papillion.

Unread 01-16-2012, 09:20 AM
CCJ

54 posts, read 66,366 times
As a renter, I couldn't imagine there would be that much difference. Once you buy is where it will really matter because of property taxes and even then there is no clear winner. Property taxes will be different from subdivision to subdivision. I would say it will be personal preference. We are a suburb family and we ended up in West O when we relocated here.

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:19 AM

593 posts, read 519,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCJ View Post
As a renter, I couldn't imagine there would be that much difference. Once you buy is where it will really matter because of property taxes and even then there is no clear winner. Property taxes will be different from subdivision to subdivision. I would say it will be personal preference. We are a suburb family and we ended up in West O when we relocated here.
This is right. Didn't full analyze the post. People just seem to prefer Sarpy county over Douglas County...

Untitled - Google Maps Here is a map of the area around Creighton that has some homerun neighborhoods amongst, such as Bemis park, Hanscom Park, Field Club and areas around. I have to caution though, there are some kind of rough areas in here too, such as Park Ave and 16th street. Although those areas are definitely on the uprise, so they will probably clear out soon enough. The area is much more diverse than any suburbs will be. There's just more people that you mmay find as "shady". I personally think the character of the area outweighs the downside of having some rough areas nearby, as they are really not so bad. But if you have any doubts, it's probably better to just look suburbs.

I would suggest using Google Streetview and roam the roads to get an idea of how unique the houses in the good midtown neighborhoods are. Chack on Woolworth Avenue between 32nd and 36th, then go north on 36th for a look at Field Club. Start at 38th and Cuming and go north for Bemis Park. Start at 32nd and Ed Creighton and go north and south for a look at Hanscom Park.

It takes just a little looking around to find a beautiful historic house in what may not be the quietest area, or you will have no problem finding a clean, but common house in the suburbs. Just depends on what you want and how bad you want it.

Last edited by Busguy2010; 01-16-2012 at 10:31 AM..

Unread 01-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
This is right. Didn't full analyze the post. People just seem to prefer Sarpy county over Douglas County...

Untitled - Google Maps Here is a map of the area around Creighton that has some homerun neighborhoods amongst, such as Bemis park, Hanscom Park, Field Club and areas around. I have to caution though, there are some kind of rough areas in here too, such as Park Ave and 16th street. Although those areas are definitely on the uprise, so they will probably clear out soon enough. The area is much more diverse than any suburbs will be. There's just more people that you mmay find as "shady". I personally think the character of the area outweighs the downside of having some rough areas nearby, as they are really not so bad. But if you have any doubts, it's probably better to just look suburbs.

I would suggest using Google Streetview and roam the roads to get an idea of how unique the houses in the good midtown neighborhoods are. Chack on Woolworth Avenue between 32nd and 36th, then go north on 36th for a look at Field Club. Start at 38th and Cuming and go north for Bemis Park. Start at 32nd and Ed Creighton and go north and south for a look at Hanscom Park.

It takes just a little looking around to find a beautiful historic house in what may not be the quietest area, or you will have no problem finding a clean, but common house in the suburbs. Just depends on what you want and how bad you want it.
Thanks, I have never used google streetwise until now...almost unreal how that works! I leterally felt like I was driving down the streets, pretty amazing! I do like the historical aspect of the areas around creighton but with a 9 month old and hopefully a couple more on the way we would prefer a quiet "unshady" type neighborhood for the kids to walk around and play in. If there really isnt that much difference tax wise between the two counties thats a good thing I guess (just doesnt help in narrowing down options!)

Unread 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
CCJ

54 posts, read 66,366 times
Though you don't need to get into property tax info right now, this post was very helpful when we were looking Relo question: property tax rates. schools . The tax rates for the school districts have changed since then (Elkhorn just passed a bond issue a couple months ago) but it is a start.

Unread 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM

305 posts, read 304,742 times
Bellevue is a nice area to live in. If you can find something close to the Kennedy Freeway (Highway 75), I don't think the commute would be that bad.

I think services tend to be better in Sarpy since its simply less urban. There aren't as many main thoroughfares to keep up, so snow removal is very efficient compared to Omaha. The police can also afford to be more proactive since the call volume is a lot less than the Omaha Police Department.

Unread 01-17-2012, 02:23 PM

813 posts, read 693,127 times
If you're working at Creighton, why not just live near Creighton? I don't understand what the fascination is with West Omaha/Sarpy county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha