Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 02:03 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Yes, Aldi is the cheapest overall, but I didn't include them because that's comparing apples to oranges. Aldi sells flavorless off-brands and almost nothing with any nutrients. If you don't have any taste buds, then certainly go to Aldi.
And you have once again shown why your opinion means nothing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM

65 posts, read 123,651 times
I agree with Mountain Men on this one. There is a reason for price differentials in food, just like there are reasons for price differentials with any other consumer product. You get what you pay for - food is no exception. Hy-Vee is a pretty decent compromise with regard to quality and cost.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
I agree with Mountain Men on this one. There is a reason for price differentials in food, just like there are reasons for price differentials with any other consumer product. You get what you pay for - food is no exception. Hy-Vee is a pretty decent compromise with regard to quality and cost.
The price difference comes from aldi having a minimal staff and doing minimal advertizing. A quick look at the label shows that Aldi's products have nearly the same nutritional content as the national brands.

Am I to believe a can of campbells soup is healthier at Hyvee because it's more expensive than that sold in No Frills? There is more to determining the worth of a product than it's price.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:47 PM

32 posts, read 74,803 times
No Frills??? Are they about the same as Aldi?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM

216 posts, read 951,513 times
Any typical kind of a "dollar" store. Brand named foods, generics, and some have frozen/refrigerated foods. It's not a whole grocery store, but good for staples.
The cheapest food is stuff borrowed from your neighbors.

Aldi's is small and they have limited food items.
http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm
No Frills is a regular grocery store. Deli, bakery, etc. what you'd find in any other store. If you're in Omaha now I'm sure there's one close to you, and you have a food ad flyer laying around.
http://www.nofrillssupermarkets.com/home.htm

Last edited by SandmanSand; 01-18-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
The price difference comes from aldi having a minimal staff and doing minimal advertizing. A quick look at the label shows that Aldi's products have nearly the same nutritional content as the national brands.

Am I to believe a can of campbells soup is healthier at Hyvee because it's more expensive than that sold in No Frills? There is more to determining the worth of a product than it's price.
Don't be so obtuse - obviously neither Mountain Men nor I were making reference to canned food of the same brand. That is not the extent of, or even included in, my grocery shopping.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
Don't be so obtuse - obviously neither Mountain Men nor I were making reference to canned food of the same brand. That is not the extent of, or even included in, my grocery shopping.
It was just an example. Same could be said of a bell pepper or tomato. If you don't specify what you mean then expect people to have to take stabs.

Now if you try that whole organic garbage, that's not scientifically proven and can't be used in an argument. Well not one that going to go far that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food
"The weight of the available scientific evidence has not shown a significant difference between organic and more conventionally grown food in terms of safety, nutritional value, or taste."

Old 01-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
It was just an example. Same could be said of a bell pepper or tomato. If you don't specify what you mean then expect people to have to take stabs.

Now if you try that whole organic garbage, that's not scientifically proven and can't be used in an argument. Well not one that going to go far that is.
I am having some amount of difficulty interpreting your fourth and fifth sentences. However, I think that the overall point of your argument is something like this: all tomatos are the same and organic food is stupid. Any gardener, chef, or person who enjoys eating can tell you that your first point is absurd. On the second point, I will educate you that organic food and humanely raised animals are about more than nutrition. If you would like, I can recommend some informative books or DVDs on the subject. Also, just an observation: discussing what is and is not scientifically proven and backing it up with a wikipedia article is very funny. I assume you meant that as a joke.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 AM

32 posts, read 74,803 times
Once again, we're getting way off topic here. Please take your argument on the merits of organic food to a diffferent thread. We're talking about where to find the cheapest groceries.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:28 PM

216 posts, read 951,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim86 View Post
Once again, we're getting way off topic here. Please take your argument on the merits of organic food to a diffferent thread. We're talking about where to find the cheapest groceries.
Read above then, since where to buy cheaper has been mentioned.
Nothing on C-D will ever stay on just one topic in a thread, state, or sub forum - so just read past those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: