U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,474,346 times

Advertisements

McFoster's Natural Kind Café – a stand-by for vegetarians, vegans and organic eaters – is for sale.

Owner Tom Foster said the restaurant is behind $15,000 in property taxes on the building at 38th and Farnam Streets, where it has been in business for more than 18 years. Foster has owned it for 10 of those years.

“We love it here,” Foster said, “and we'd stay if we could pay our bills without raising prices. I don't want to do that. I don't want to put the menu out of reach of ordinary people.”

McFoster's menu is primarily vegetarian, but the restaurant also serves free-range chicken and fresh seafood. Everything on its menu is free of refined flour and sugars, and it uses organic produce from local gardeners.

more... McFoster's for sale - Omaha.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM

906 posts, read 1,537,424 times
Anybody know how much they're asking? All I've found is they want an "affluent Omahan" to buy them out.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 PM

696 posts, read 1,499,168 times
I think this is silly based on my being self employed also.

If he only averages 100 meals a day (i have no idea how many he actually does I may have to call and ask them) he could raise the price just 50 cents a meal, he would have an extra $15000 in 10 months.

I don't think his "loyal" customers would complain about 50 cents to keep the place open. If they would complain about a 50 cent increase then he has crappy customers and should close.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:48 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,474,346 times
McFoster's to hold fundraising dinner
By Sarah Baker Hansen
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe is having a fundraising dinner to try and keep its doors open.

The dinner, slated for Sunday, Feb. 26, is $150 a plate and will include gourmet vegetarian food and live music.

Owner Tom Foster put the restaurant, a long-time stand-by for vegetarians, vegans and organic eaters, on the market because he is $15,000 behind in property taxes on the building, at 38th and Farnam Streets.

He said if 100 people purchase a seat for the dinner, the restaurant will be able to remain open for another year.

more... McFoster's to hold fundraising dinner - Omaha.com

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM

906 posts, read 1,537,424 times
Still doesn't say how much they're asking for the business. I don't think they really want to sell it. So how often are they going to have to have these $150 a plate fundraisers to continue paying the bills? Doesn't seem to get at the root of the problem.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 PM

816 posts, read 1,419,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
McFoster's to hold fundraising dinner
By Sarah Baker Hansen
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe is having a fundraising dinner to try and keep its doors open.

The dinner, slated for Sunday, Feb. 26, is $150 a plate and will include gourmet vegetarian food and live music.

Owner Tom Foster put the restaurant, a long-time stand-by for vegetarians, vegans and organic eaters, on the market because he is $15,000 behind in property taxes on the building, at 38th and Farnam Streets.

He said if 100 people purchase a seat for the dinner, the restaurant will be able to remain open for another year.

more... McFoster's to hold fundraising dinner - Omaha.com
Sad thing is this is not a fix. In a year they will be back to where they are today. They NEED to either find a way to reduce costs or raise prices. Perhaps even diversify their menu to attract more customers.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:56 PM

18 posts, read 28,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Sad thing is this is not a fix. In a year they will be back to where they are today. They NEED to either find a way to reduce costs or raise prices. Perhaps even diversify their menu to attract more customers.
This might be the fix that's needed - new owners!

McFoster's gets new owners - Omaha.com

----
McFoster's gets new owners

After facing closure earlier this year because of back taxes, McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe has new owners.

Kelly and Chris Johnson bought the business from former owners Tom and Mary Foster, who ran it for the past ten years.

In a Facebook post, Tom Foster said that he and his wife will continue working at the restaurant through the transition phase.

The Johnsons plan a few initial changes to the restaurant, including seasonal menus.

In February, Foster owed $15,000 in back property taxes. Customers helped the restaurant raise enough money to pay the tab so it could stay in business.

McFoster's, at 38th and Farnam Streets, has been an Omaha vegetarian mainstay for 18 years. Its menu is primarily meatless, though it also serves free-range chicken and fresh seafood. Everything on its menu is free of refined flour and sugars, and it uses organic produce from local gardeners.

-- Sarah Baker Hansen

Old 07-17-2012, 07:03 PM

177 posts, read 375,556 times
Interesting that the owners sold so quickly after their loyal customer base helped keep them in business. I'll make sure to check out the restaurant next time I'm in town to see the changes. I just hope that the new owners still maintain some of the vegetarian options available.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 PM

48 posts, read 70,524 times
I'm glad they didn't close, at least. There are so few "cruelty-free" restaurants in Omaha.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:44 PM

816 posts, read 1,419,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasiaphoenix View Post
There are so few "cruelty-free" restaurants in Omaha.
While i don't buy this bs, you do know they sell chicken right? Now sure it's 'free range' but all that means is that the chickens have 'access' to the outside. The USDA does not regulate anything about how long the chickens have to be outside or if they ever even have to go outside, just that they could go outside if they wanted. Nor does the FDA regulate how large the outside area has to be. In the end the chickens normally end up staying inside their whole life.

"free range" is just yet another one of those feel good things like the organic movement that in then end doesn't have a real benefit.

Last edited by harshbarj; 07-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: making my point clear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or