Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 4,344 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My fiance and I moved to Omaha in late December from the warm sunny beautiful South Carolina. I was just wondering, what is there to do here for couples in their mid 20's and what would y'all say is the best way to make friends without being all creepy weird and just walking up to strangers? We are into live music (preferably the rock genre and not some weird cover band and karaoke.) We are good friends with a band called Decadence in Columbia and went to all of their shows back home and you should look them up if you're into that sorta thing. But anyways, back to the subject. We're both laid back and easy going. We are living pretty close to downtown and working in Council Bluffs. My fiance is more of a "home-body" and me, not so much.

Any advice/idea's are appreciated! Thanks y'all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 AM

109 posts, read 281,084 times
Omaha (not sure how familiar you are with it by now) has a huge indie rock scene. Saddle creek records was started and is based here (in the NoDo area). Sokol auditorium is like mecca for indie rock. I go to a few of my friends shows and it seems the crowd there goes to a show every night of the week. I wouldn't be the one to tell you any more than this about the scene though; hopefully you'll find a hookup. I'll let one of the other CD veterans chime in on entertainment options; they'll surely explain the city better than I. Welcome, and hope you enjoy your time in the O!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,720 times
Omaha is a great city for live music. Sokol is now more of a nu-metal type of club. The Waiting Room and Slowdown, which are in Benson and North Downtown, are my two favorite clubs and have more rock and indie shows. Stir over at Harrahs has some great shows also. They host bigger bands like Flaming Lips, Phoenix, and Sonic Youth. Barley Street Tavern in Benson has lots of singer songwriter and mellow rock shows. O'leavers by the med center is great for punk, noise, hardcore, and drugs. The PS Collective in Benson is a place that has up and coming local acts play. There are some newer places that I have not been to like the Hideout and the Sidedoor that host shows. I have no idea about the west Omaha scene, but would guess there are more cover bands out there. 1% productions are the dudes that own the Waiting Room and put on most of the good shows here. 1% productions

lazy-i.com has a lot of good reviews and previews for area concerts.

I think the easiest area of Omaha to make friends is in Benson. Hang out at Jakes or Krug Park, which are both excellent bars, a few times and you are bound to meet people. Go to some shows in the area at Barley Street or the Waiting Room.

I'm more than happy to try and answer any other questions you may have. Hope that this helps you out!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
Watch out this summer for The Red Sky Music Festival. This will be it's second year and should draw a rather large crowd as long as it's not as hot as it was last year.

Home - Red Sky Music Festival (http://www.redskyfestival.com/ - broken link)

If you check the schedule you can see what played last year.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the info! Looking forward to checking out these places and the local music scene!!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:42 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Ive been to the Waiting room a few times and never been disappointed

Old 02-24-2012, 01:48 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,903 times
I also forgot to mention the free concert that is put on by the bank of the west every year.

https://www.bankofthewest.com/static...ica_index.html

Old 02-26-2012, 06:57 PM

Sweet! Thanks y'all!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM

116 posts, read 281,901 times
Check out the local comedy scene too while you're at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: