U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,915 times

Advertisements

Currently I live in the DC suburbs as a young, recent college graduate. Shortly after graduating, I found a job as a technical writer for a small company and I've managed to do fairly well. The other day, my Uncle from Omaha was in town and informed me that his company (one of the larger train companies in the country), is actively looking for someone to do the same work I'm currently doing here, but it would require me to move to Omaha to learn how to do everything, and work from there. I'm torn as I know it's a good opportunity, but I'm not sure if I want to give up my creature comforts back home.

I visited it once years ago, but I was much younger and didn't really get a great chance to appreciate the city. I know it's very different from the DC area (smaller, less traffic, etc.), but I was wondering if it was an active city with fun things to do? Is there a nightlife? Are young professionals similar to myself in the area? Some guidance, please!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:18 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,129,005 times
Grew up in Omaha but am currently living in the Virginia suburbs of the District. Both places have advantages and disadvantages. Omaha has a pretty vibrant nightlife for someone your age, especially its music scene. Feel free to PM me for specific info.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:45 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,285 times
What for you is fun things to do? Sporting events? Music? Simple bar scene?

Also I wouldn't suggest suburbs in Omaha if you are looking for a more lively area, plus it sounds like you would be working downtown so it could cut your commute.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,915 times
Thanks for the replies!

Mostly for fun I really like just exploring really (parks, neighborhoods, restaurants, etc.) but I know that the local music scene in Omaha is really active, which is something I'm very interested in. I have a lot to think about.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:14 PM

816 posts, read 1,414,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedFantastic View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Mostly for fun I really like just exploring really (parks, neighborhoods, restaurants, etc.) but I know that the local music scene in Omaha is really active, which is something I'm very interested in. I have a lot to think about.
Then you will want to stick to midtown / downtown. The suburbs and outskirts of the city are really drab and boring. Not to mention a long drive from the action in the city center.

this might help with your search for music

Music of Omaha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM

59 posts, read 108,760 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies!

Omaha has some great parks. Elmwood is my favorite, and it's connected to another large park called Memorial Park. Here is a shot I took during the last snow storm:

For neighborhoods, Dundee, Benson, and Midtown are all fun to explore. Dundee and Benson have local shops and restaurants while the Midtown area has a new large development that includes shopping, dining, and a dine-in movie theater. It's also connected to old historic neighborhoods that have great buildings. There are other neighborhoods, like south 24th, that are great as well. I just don't have as much experience with them.

Of course the Old Market downtown is also popular, and there are many neighborhoods that are developing, like the Aksarben area and North Downtown.

Something great about Omaha as well is that it is continually developing, especially in the Downtown and Midtown areas. We've seen a large development boom the last 12-15 years, and it hasn't slowed down yet.

Omaha won't be able to provide as much as a city like DC does, but I don't think you would get bored either.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:45 PM

394 posts, read 930,009 times
Quote:
Currently I live in the DC suburbs as a young, recent college graduate. Shortly after graduating, I found a job as a technical writer for a small company and I've managed to do fairly well. The other day, my Uncle from Omaha was in town and informed me that his company (one of the larger train companies in the country), is actively looking for someone to do the same work I'm currently doing here, but it would require me to move to Omaha to learn how to do everything, and work from there. I'm torn as I know it's a good opportunity, but I'm not sure if I want to give up my creature comforts back home.

I visited it once years ago, but I was much younger and didn't really get a great chance to appreciate the city. I know it's very different from the DC area (smaller, less traffic, etc.), but I was wondering if it was an active city with fun things to do? Is there a nightlife? Are young professionals similar to myself in the area? Some guidance, please!
I just retired from "one of the larger train companies in the country" headquartered in Omaha. Great opportunity if you can get it. Did not stick around Omaha though, too cold and windy for me but the summers are nice. Also there are many, many young people working in that building downtown.

Last edited by btoverdrive; 02-28-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 02-28-2012, 10:28 PM

280 posts, read 708,607 times
Just to put things into perspective. Hashbarj's comment the the suburbs are "a long drive" to the city center is open to debate. For someone used to living in DC, I'm guessing that 20 - 25 minutes from the furthest burb to the Old Market might not be your idea of a long drive.

That being said, if I was still a 20 something, I'd target downtown, Midtown crossing area and maybe Dundee.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:17 PM

816 posts, read 1,414,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altajoe View Post
Just to put things into perspective. Hashbarj's comment the the suburbs are "a long drive" to the city center is open to debate. For someone used to living in DC, I'm guessing that 20 - 25 minutes from the furthest burb to the Old Market might not be your idea of a long drive.

That being said, if I was still a 20 something, I'd target downtown, Midtown crossing area and maybe Dundee.
Would you rather have a 5-10 minute drive or a 20+ minute drive? Also by living in the center of the city it opens up the chance to live car lite, or even car free(as I do). You can walk places or even take the bus, neither of which are an option when living out far from the center of town. That is true urban life, not being trapped in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or