U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: New Hampshire
6 posts, read 11,488 times
Reputation: 19

Advertisements

I'm a single without children in my mid 30s. I live in New Hampshire. I've some mental health issues and received mental health medication before. However, I can work and want to work. I'm unemployed and about to become a homeless if a miracle doesn't happen. I don't have support from family or friends.

Unfortunately, being a non-disabled adult without children is almost an automatic disqualification for receiving emergency assistance in most cities and states, regardless of how financially needy a single person can be. That's really unfair, given the fact that single workers are taxed heavier compared to workers with children.

Being a homeless is hard anywhere… but some states and cities are more compassionate than others. I want to know if this is the case of Nebraska.
How is the quality of services for homeless individuals without children... particularly in Omaha and Sioux Falls? Is there a waiting list for shelters? How about receiving help without being initially a state resident? Where to look for a job? Is police harrassing?

I’m just trying to take a well informed decision, so I can go to the right place where I can receive good service and can overcome my situation ASAP.

Please, pray for me! Thank you all for your time and advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-11-2012, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,416 posts, read 26,140,557 times
Reputation: 16496
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatlifehasforme View Post
I'm a single without children in my mid 30s. I live in New Hampshire. I've some mental health issues and received mental health medication before. However, I can work and want to work. I'm unemployed and about to become a homeless if a miracle doesn't happen. I don't have support from family or friends.

Unfortunately, being a non-disabled adult without children is almost an automatic disqualification for receiving emergency assistance in most cities and states, regardless of how financially needy a single person can be. That's really unfair, given the fact that single workers are taxed heavier compared to workers with children.

Being a homeless is hard anywhere… but some states and cities are more compassionate than others. I want to know if this is the case of Nebraska.
How is the quality of services for homeless individuals without children... particularly in Omaha and Sioux Falls? Is there a waiting list for shelters? How about receiving help without being initially a state resident? Where to look for a job? Is police harrassing?

I’m just trying to take a well informed decision, so I can go to the right place where I can receive good service and can overcome my situation ASAP.

Please, pray for me! Thank you all for your time and advise.
There are temporary agencies all around the United States that should help you find work quickly. Check those out, instead of looking for places with a lot of government assistance, look for places with a lot of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 12:49 AM
 
Location: New Hampshire
6 posts, read 11,488 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
There are temporary agencies all around the United States that should help you find work quickly.
It seems that Nebraska has a significantly lower unemployment rate compared to most states. Can you, please, give some names of temporary employment agencies in Omaha or Sioux Falls? Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Check those out, instead of looking for places with a lot of government assistance, look for places with a lot of jobs.
AUCH!! ... I perceive your words as judgemental. If this is the case, I need to clarify something: I am an able-bodied individual. If I would be exclusively looking for welfare, there are more urban states than Nebraska where I could receive better welfare benefits!!

However, I am really desperated for a full time job and temporary emergency assistance while I overcome my situation. I am willing to look for a full time job and emergency assistance in the middle of nowhere as in Nebraska or anywhere else, okay??

You better swallow your judgemental attitude if this is the case... and be ready to say good bye to your job because, after your words, I'm convinced about going to Nebraska take it, okay?? ... and if I can't take it... there are many people in other states with higher unemployment who can take it. OKAY??

Are you still willing to role play as a judge?? Hope you are not judging others while living from welfare or children tax refunds in Nebraska!!

Again, don't pay attention to this rant since it's not my intention to offend... unless the real attutide in your words was judgemental as I perceived. In that case, receive what you give!! AMEN!! AMEN!!

Last edited by whatlifehasforme; 03-12-2012 at 01:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-12-2012, 09:50 AM
 
157 posts, read 263,174 times
Reputation: 166
I just want to point at that just because Omaha is in the midwest does not mean it is the middle of nowhere. The Omaha metro has more then 800 thousand people living in it. It is a hub for Eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa. It has grown quite a bit over the past 10 years and looks like it will keep growing for awhile as well as the Lincolin area which will ultimately become one metro as their growth keeps getting closer to each other.

Back to your topic, I would say moving to Omaha is a good idea. You could easily find a job and hopefully get back on your feet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:42 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top