U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:25 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,500,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxposamnky View Post

1) Singles scene in Omaha for a late-20's individual...what's it like? Where are the places to go, and what is the general impression of the scene (are people superficial, stuck up, polite/open, moral?)

2) Any good recommendations on job hunting? Maybe good local job posting websites?

3) Omaha paints a picture of city, suburbs, and country...What are the best city locations to live? And how bout if you wanted a little acreage or scenic coutnry views (if there are any)? Is there good fishin/hiking/ATV'ing in Omaha area?
I'll try to help you best I can

Singles scene is pretty good for 20s in Omaha actually! Lots of bars and clubs to attend if you're into that kind of thing. Most people even at bars are very friendly and glad to start a conversation with you. There's lots of "scenes" in Omaha, so depending on what you're into, I can try to help you out there. IE: There's a big goth scene, there's a country scene, techno music, etc. People in Omaha are NOTHING like the people here in Tampa. People arent stuck up and bitchy like the women here are. I'm not saying they dont EXIST but that it isnt 90% of the women out there like it is here Most of the people are mostly down to earth kinda girls.

2) Careerlink.com | Welcome to Careerlink is where i found most of my jobs. What kind of field are you in? If you give me the general field, i can help you with more sites.

3) If you want acreage or scenic, I might recommend north east Omaha, search for Ponca Hills areas. Ponca hills is a very tree-populated area, so it gives a wonderful earthy feel, to me anyway. There are loads of places to go fishing in Omaha, my father was an avid fisherman when he was alive, so plenty of places to go. ATVs, there's a huge place, I think around 90 mins away from Omaha that my father took his 4 wheeler and dune buggy to, but unfortunately I have NO idea where its at or what its called since he never took me there. It was a HUGE area of land with various levels of terrain for ATVs. I can find more info on that if you want, maybe my mother knows. *shrug*.

As for me personally, I prefer the suburb Bellevue. I would compare Bellevue in Nebraska to Brandon. Pretty much the same kind area IMO - family area with lots of stores, etc. I also really liked living in Midtown omaha - I lived off of 84th and dodge and I loved living in the middle of the city and being able to go anywhere i wanted within 15 mins for the most part.

I hope that helps you, if you have any more questions, I'm happy to help.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 83,836 times
Yes, Careerlink.org is where I have found my jobs as well. Excellent tool.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:38 PM

1,074 posts, read 2,095,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
why i don't miss Omaha . in December when you have the ice storms , in January when you have the blizzards . in summer when humidity is up to 85% and you have to work in that . usually in June when NBA has playoff you can look forward to tornado watches and warnings or at least a severe weather warnings , streets in winter that don't get plowed and their excuse is "the storm caught us by surprise" . then the crowning thing is of the streets . further West you go the stupider the streets are laid out . no ryhme or reason to the layout . laid out by a drunken sot .
Omaha averages 25 inches of snow a year. The average US city averages 40.

The humidity can get high, but 85% is not very common. The average relative humidity for Omaha is 62%. Sometimes it can peak at 85%, but the humidity levels can drop to 30% with a dry southwest, west or northwest breeze. The average high for the hottest day of the year is 87 degrees.

Phoenix has temperatures so high that humidity isn't necessary to feel suffocated. I know cause I lived in Vegas were the temperature there averages a few degrees cooler. It got so hot that your sneakers would stick to the pavement a bit and burning rubber could be smelled everywhere. The worst part is the ozone trapped in the mountains and the constants sweeping of the sand and dust off of property. The desert heat is much more intense than here and is just plain unbearable.

That said. I could have tolerated it. I just prefer the seasons and a place where the people are kind, a great economy and more recently an entertainment hotspot (especially downtown omaha area).

Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 PM

906 posts, read 1,736,733 times
Vegas, Phoenix, Tampa, Omaha ... all places where humans probably shouldn't be.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,076,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Native Americans did it for centuries.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 AM

6,145 posts, read 7,279,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
So why don't you leave if you hate it so much? Seriously.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:02 PM

906 posts, read 1,736,733 times
Never said I hated anything.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,603 times
I currently live in Miami and I will be moving to Omaha with my husband and three kids. I am very excited a looking forward to it. I love the hot weather but definitely I want to try what it is to live in a 4 season place with a very cold winter. I agree with rezfreak the way she describes Tampa is the same here in Miami there is not many friendly people and I am a latin person myself but people is very rude. So I'm so happy to know Omaha is so nice and for my kids it is very exciting. Could somebody recommend good places to live with community centers close by? I will move next year but it will be good to know which are the nicest towns or places to live.....

Old 05-17-2012, 05:13 PM

34 posts, read 87,782 times
The city of Omaha has many community centers. Here's a list:

City of Omaha Parks and Recreation - Community Centers

I spent some of my childhood in the Ralston area, near 96th and Q. It's diverse, with decent schools and there's a pool/community center there, too. It's also very affordable -- you can easily get a 3-bedroom house for a little more than 100K.

You may also like the Millard area ... if you're interested in Montessori programs for the kids, the Millard schools offers them at no additional cost once you get past preschool. Montclair Elementary has both traditional classrooms and Montessori classrooms and it is attached to the Montclair Community Center. The Millard library and YMCA are right down the street. Houses in that area range in the 120s to 190s.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:54 PM

226 posts, read 540,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Bleh, i was just looking up some stats in articles about Omaha recently, and I forgot why it was so awesome. I dont know why on earth I thought it was a good idea to encourage my husband to sign up for a special assignment in the air force. We should have just stayed where we were already happy. I guess its the whole "grass is greener" concept.

So, here's a few reasons Omaha is awesome:

#7 – Best Cities for Jobs (Forbes – February 2012)
#8 – 10 Best U.S. Cities for Raising a Family (24/7 Wall St. – January 2012)
#5 – America’s Healthiest Housing Markets (Lending Tree – March 2012)
#1 – Lowest Unemployment Rate (The Business Journals – December 2011)
#8 – Most Secure Places to Live in the U.S. (Farmers Insurance and Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed – December 2011)
#4 – America’s Happiest Cities (Men’s Health – November 2011)
#9 – Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
#1 – 10 Best Value Cities for 2011 (Kiplinger – July 2011)
#4 – Best Cost of Living (Business Facilities – July/August 2011)
#2 – Best Run States in America (24/7 Wall St. – November 2011)

Note - most of those "studies" were done by large companies, but you can always just take it with a grain of salt.

I envy you still in Omaha. I'm stuck in hell hole Tampa and I cant wait to get out of this place. People are rude, traffic is WAY worse than Omaha, people are rude (did i say that yet?). I mean, in Omaha, people will stop and HOLD a door open for you. The ONLY time i ever had that happen here in Tampa was when a young kid (about 10-11) held it open for me while I got my son in a cart and he waited the whole time for me. It was very sweet. People in Omaha will start polite chit chat in an elevator, in tampa, you're lucky if you get a glance, and even then, they're probably just judging you.

So, while you guys may complain about Omaha about various things, just keep in mind there are people who WISH they were in your shoes. When you think you have it bad, just move to Tampa and you'll realize how good you had it back in Omaha
That's so funny, because most people would think "Tampa, FL" sounds so much more neater than "Omaha, NE." But, I've learned that it is all about what you like. I like the palms & water & beach down in FL, but I like all the big trees, rolling green lawns, more sane culture in the Midwest, ect. I've found every region has great things about it. So, while down there, I encourage you to really enjoy it. Most of us would love to be in your shoes, come winter months, when you are able to lay back and curl your toes in a sandy beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha