U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:54 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,667,647 times

Advertisements

Bleh, i was just looking up some stats in articles about Omaha recently, and I forgot why it was so awesome. I dont know why on earth I thought it was a good idea to encourage my husband to sign up for a special assignment in the air force. We should have just stayed where we were already happy. I guess its the whole "grass is greener" concept.

So, here's a few reasons Omaha is awesome:

#7 – Best Cities for Jobs (Forbes – February 2012)
#8 – 10 Best U.S. Cities for Raising a Family (24/7 Wall St. – January 2012)
#5 – America’s Healthiest Housing Markets (Lending Tree – March 2012)
#1 – Lowest Unemployment Rate (The Business Journals – December 2011)
#8 – Most Secure Places to Live in the U.S. (Farmers Insurance and Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed – December 2011)
#4 – America’s Happiest Cities (Men’s Health – November 2011)
#9 – Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
#1 – 10 Best Value Cities for 2011 (Kiplinger – July 2011)
#4 – Best Cost of Living (Business Facilities – July/August 2011)
#2 – Best Run States in America (24/7 Wall St. – November 2011)

Note - most of those "studies" were done by large companies, but you can always just take it with a grain of salt.

I envy you still in Omaha. I'm stuck in hell hole Tampa and I cant wait to get out of this place. People are rude, traffic is WAY worse than Omaha, people are rude (did i say that yet?). I mean, in Omaha, people will stop and HOLD a door open for you. The ONLY time i ever had that happen here in Tampa was when a young kid (about 10-11) held it open for me while I got my son in a cart and he waited the whole time for me. It was very sweet. People in Omaha will start polite chit chat in an elevator, in tampa, you're lucky if you get a glance, and even then, they're probably just judging you.

So, while you guys may complain about Omaha about various things, just keep in mind there are people who WISH they were in your shoes. When you think you have it bad, just move to Tampa and you'll realize how good you had it back in Omaha

Last edited by Yac; 04-17-2012 at 06:42 AM..

Old 04-15-2012, 01:13 AM

1,885 posts, read 2,284,507 times
Lived in Omaha for 30 years, now I live just outside of the big O. Before i retired, I traveled all over the country. Won't move, nuff said.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:29 AM

29 posts, read 78,729 times
Thanks for that list rezfreak! My family and I will be making the move from NYC to Lincoln later this year (after 12 years in NYC). I am a little nervous about it to say the least. As we will be moving a ton of stuff/furniture/belongings along with our 2 year old and three cats, if it doesn't work out, we'll be a little bit stuck! Anyways, I know this is Omaha and not Lincoln, but it is always encouraging to see lists like this

Old 04-15-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbee View Post
Thanks for that list rezfreak! My family and I will be making the move from NYC to Lincoln later this year (after 12 years in NYC). I am a little nervous about it to say the least. As we will be moving a ton of stuff/furniture/belongings along with our 2 year old and three cats, if it doesn't work out, we'll be a little bit stuck! Anyways, I know this is Omaha and not Lincoln, but it is always encouraging to see lists like this
Some of the things on the list include Nebraska as a whole, not just Omaha.

Now, I've never lived in Lincoln, but I dont think you'll be making a bad decision either way. If it doesnt work in lincoln, you can always try Omaha. You'll love the midwest friendliness! Good luck on the move!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 PM

906 posts, read 1,533,002 times
I think people are friendly anywhere when you accept their culture. Same with Omaha. If you accept the culture here and act like the locals do, they will be friendly to you. And vice versa. I haven't been to Tampa, but does it even have a culture? Is it like Miami?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I think people are friendly anywhere when you accept their culture. Same with Omaha. If you accept the culture here and act like the locals do, they will be friendly to you. And vice versa. I haven't been to Tampa, but does it even have a culture? Is it like Miami?

It sure does! The culture is "act like a rude jack***, offend as many people as you can, drive a BMW or Lexus, and drive like a jerk!" Many of the tampa people here on the Omaha board can agree I'm sure! There's like 4 or 5 of us here waiting to go back to Omaha.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Do you own a boat? I'd be thoroughly surprised if boating was not a major part of the Tampa culture. Also, a couple of my buddies in Tampa say some of the hiking and bicycling trails are really awesome. Do you know about Starky Trail, Mitchell park, or the Earl Grey Preserve?

Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM

24 posts, read 74,240 times
I would love to have access to your beaches. I know beaches don't pay the bills but still. Ahhhh.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Do you own a boat? I'd be thoroughly surprised if boating was not a major part of the Tampa culture. Also, a couple of my buddies in Tampa say some of the hiking and bicycling trails are really awesome. Do you know about Starky Trail, Mitchell park, or the Earl Grey Preserve?
No. I dont like beaches/water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsayinman View Post
I would love to have access to your beaches. I know beaches don't pay the bills but still. Ahhhh.
I live an hour to 90 mins from the beaches with traffic, and they're packed. Its not worth it. I've been to the beach once in the nearly 2 years we've been here. I'm not missing anything, sand fleas, sun burns, packed parking. NO thanks!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:36 AM

You don't like water but you moved to Florida? Ouch. That's like a vegetarian moving to Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or