U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:44 AM

113 posts, read 252,469 times

Advertisements

Hello AllI am from Egypt and just got immigrant visa , I plan to move to US in Sep, I made a big search for best cities to start in in terms of safety , diversity , jobs and cost of live and i considered Omaha But I have some concerns1-Would Omaha be good and safe choice for hair covered muslim woman?2 -How availabe are service/casual jobs jobs like Delivery , cashier , etc3-If average for casual job is $2000/ M is that enough for 3 persons ?4 -What is average for 2 Bedroom apartment in safe area ?5 -How much is utilities and grocery per month for 2 parents and kidthanks

Last edited by Egyptian2009; 04-15-2012 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:23 AM

29 posts, read 78,942 times
I have been to Lincoln a bunch of times and loved it. Same goes for Omaha. Not too familiar with the specifics of your questions, but best of luck with the move!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:44 AM

109 posts, read 235,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
Hello AllI am from Egypt and just got immigrant visa , I plan to move to US in Sep, I made a big search for best cities to start in in terms of safety , diversity , jobs and cost of live and i considered Omaha But I have some concerns1-Would Omaha be good and safe choice for hair covered muslim woman?2 -How availabe are service/casual jobs jobs like Delivery , cashier , etc3-If average for casual job is $2000/ M is that enough for 3 persons ?4 -What is average for 2 Bedroom apartment in safe area ?5 -How much is utilities and grocery per month for 2 parents and kidthanks

Welcome to Omaha! You made a good choice; Omaha is very diverse, safe, and the cost of living is very low. "hair covered muslim women" have a presence in Omaha, and you would not seem out of the ordinary. service jobs are very easy to come by, which is one of the reasons the aforementioned unemployment rate is so low. 2000 dollars a month would be alright for me and how I live, but how you would get along on it would largely depend on how you live. I would say average rent for a descent, safe apartment 2 bedroom in a descent area is between 650-850/month, again, depending on how you live. Sometimes utilities are included in rent, sometimes not. Hope you get all the information you can to make an informed decision, and again, welcome to Nebraska.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:14 PM

24 posts, read 74,480 times
If you have an immigrant visa and green card to work here, I would assume that means you plan on staying here and applying for citizenship eventually. I would ask that you remember that you ARE moving to the West, our culture and customs (especially as far as women are concerned) are very different from yours. Keep in mind that your child, depending on how young he/she is, will grow up as a Westerner. Are you going to be ok with that?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,264,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian2009 View Post
I live in Lincoln but I spend time in Omaha. The two cities are very similar. A $2,000/month budget for a family of three would provide the basics but if you have an employer that provides health insurance $2,000/month will be OK. Your education and job skills will determine your income obviously. If you can live frugally a $2,000/month budget is doable.

Now I am going to say something that may offend you but it needs to be said. If you can live in a society that does not share your Muslim belief and not get upset about it you will be welcome. However if you believe in Jihad and trying to change our laws to a Sharia type system you will be very unhappy in Nebraska period. You will be living in a society that will be vastly different than that in Egypt. Can you live with that?

Welcome to Nebraska if you can.
GL2

Old 04-16-2012, 02:01 PM

24 posts, read 74,480 times
That's what I was trying to get across, Gunluvver. A lot of immigrant Muslim parents get very very upset and angry when their kids become Americanized. All we ask as Americans is that you assimilate. Just like we would, should we choose to move to Egypt.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,094 times
Come on. No need to jump to the Jihad card. The vast majority of Muslims don't support that.

Also all American are not "asking" you to assimilate like mentioned, at least I am not. You are more than welcome to keep your customs and beliefs in this country, and I hope you do. Others will be completely tolerant if you are tolerant in return.

Your children will no doubt grow up in a very different situation from yourself though. That is one thing to keep in mind. Their experiences as children will differ from yours.

Here is a link to the Islamic Center of Omaha: ISLAMIC CENTER OF OMAHA

The city's first real Mosque is also about to be built. In a pretty cool complex as well, it will share land with a Christian Church and Jewish Temple.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,704,420 times
Omaha has a growing Muslim population. As a matter of fact, there are plenty of Muslim girls in my high school who wear Hijabs, and there are those who choose not too as well. You should be fine.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:47 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,264,181 times
[quote=iamjacobm;23891061]Come on. No need to jump to the Jihad card. The vast majority of Muslims don't support that.

Also all American are not "asking" you to assimilate like mentioned, at least I am not. You are more than welcome to keep your customs and beliefs in this country, and I hope you do. Others will be completely tolerant if you are tolerant in return. . . ."

A believer in Jihad would not be tolerant would he Iamjacobm?
GL2

Old 04-18-2012, 04:45 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
A believer in Jihad would not be tolerant would he Iamjacobm?
GL2
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or