U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:18 PM
1 posts, read 1,070 times
Reputation: 10


My daughter just moved to Omaha for a job and is using a car which is owned by my husband and myself (we live in Missouri). We have a MO title and the car has MO plates.

I called the Omaha treasurer's office yesterday. The first woman I talked to didn't have a clue. The second said I need to re title the car in NE and then we can pay the 'wheel tax'. The more I thought about that, it just doesn't seem right. Why would I need to get a new title if the owners of the car aren't changing?

Does anybody know what we are supposed to do? Would it be easier to just put the car in my daughter's name (which we did plan on doing anyhow after the first of next year when the MO plates expire)?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
816 posts, read 1,420,078 times
Reputation: 228
I'm not sure about legally, but if she is going to be using the car here in Omaha for a while it should be licensed and registered in Omaha. For a answer on the legality, I would contact the Nebraska DMV
Nebraska Official Department of Motor Vehicles | DMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Location: Northeast NE
696 posts, read 1,499,794 times
Reputation: 283
As long as your insurance is fine with a non owner being the main driver, you don't need to do anything. She just borrowed your car and it is in your name and insured.

Her license according to Nebraska law must have the correct address within 60 days of any residence change. I even got a note from the DMV last time I moved and they discovered it via change of address databank via the postal service. Note I only moved 5 blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 AM
370 posts, read 1,162,548 times
Reputation: 188
Motor vehicles should be registered in the state of principle use--not the state of residency. NE law requires you to get NE plates within 30 days of moving to the state.

Nebraska Official Department of Motor Vehicles | DMV

Think of it this way: The motor vehicle taxes you pay are used first and foremost to pay for the streets and highway you drive on the most. So, it makes sense to pay those taxes to wherever you drive that vehicle the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top