U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM

624 posts, read 1,101,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
now, it's trying to be the old market. the BBA sees Benson as the new old market (or a wannabee version of it at the least)
The hipsters have taken over! They don't have an Old Market so they adopted a lesser known business district, gave it drugs, grew its hair out and taught it ukulele. Unless the city itself comes in, improves the streetscape, cleans up the over all feel and attracts people other than those who already love it for how it is now, I think nothing will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,460,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
You can never have enough good bars. We should knock down a few churches and build strip clubs there too.

why would we need so many bars or strip clubs in omaha. there is plenty already in omaha

cant some parts of omaha be family friendly or quasi-family friendly.

not everyone in omaha is a child-less 30 something hipster doofus loser who gets high and drunk all the time and dont really have a legitimate job

Old 06-21-2012, 11:32 AM

13,905 posts, read 19,076,418 times
Quote:
why would we need so many bars or strip clubs in omaha. there is plenty already in omaha
There are no good strip clubs in Omaha, of course I am jaded by the full nude clubs here in Tampa with legitimately hot dancers. And like I said, you can never have enough of those.

Quote:
What part of Omaha isn't family friendly? Omaha is constantly called one of the best family friendly cities in America. It's about time the pendulum swung the other way and we got some appeal for the young and single crowed.

Quote:
not everyone in omaha is a child-less 30 something hipster doofus loser who gets high and drunk all the time and dont really have a legitimate job
That's why we have West Omaha.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What part of Omaha isn't family friendly? Omaha is constantly called one of the best family friendly cities in America. It's about time the pendulum swung the other way and we got some appeal for the young and single crowed.

That's why we have West Omaha.

not everyone can afford to be in west omaha

Old 06-21-2012, 12:38 PM

13,905 posts, read 19,076,418 times
Quote:
not everyone can afford to be in west omaha
They probably can't afford a family then either.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM

65 posts, read 109,715 times
Quote:

Benson fills a niche - if it didn't, the businesses that have located there would be going under. Hipsters and childless 30 somethings also have a lot of disposable income and do wonders for neighborhoods - you can see that transformation happening in Benson. From what I remember, Benson was not friendly at all before the hipsters claimed it. I would say that having to put up with skinny jeans and irritating music is a vast improvement over being stabbed and robbed.

Omaha is too family-friendly as it is and I am excited to report that two brewpubs will be opening in Benson in the coming months. That means even more bars and more good times in Benson.

I suggest that you move to Papillion. Nothing will ever happen, you will never see a hipster, and you can be a lot closer to your favorite chain restaurants.

Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
Benson fills a niche - if it didn't, the businesses that have located there would be going under. Hipsters and childless 30 somethings also have a lot of disposable income and do wonders for neighborhoods - you can see that transformation happening in Benson. From what I remember, Benson was not friendly at all before the hipsters claimed it. I would say that having to put up with skinny jeans and irritating music is a vast improvement over being stabbed and robbed.

Omaha is too family-friendly as it is and I am excited to report that two brewpubs will be opening in Benson in the coming months.

That means even more bars and more good times in Benson.

I suggest that you move to Papillion. Nothing will ever happen, you will never see a hipster, and you can be a lot closer to your favorite chain restaurants.

moving to Papillion might be nice.

at least, they have Papio Bowl Papio Bowl | Omaha.net

and that new coffee house Restaurante opening up near the Papillion Library

at least the favorite chain restaurants bring in a more diverse crowd than drunks.

btw, what is wrong with Omaha being family-friendly? (or is it some folks in omaha hate people who have a family

btw, crime has gone up, not down in benson since the drunk revolution happened.

there was never anybody getting stabbed or robbed in benson

(and if there was a robberies there in benson at all (pre 2009), it was once in a blue moon it happened, if at all)

btw to those on the far-far left who live in dundee: CVS has been around for a year and civilzation didnt collapse in dundee, so I welcome a CVS finally being built in benson area

Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,811,285 times
I just really don't get the hate for Benson. If you don't like a bunch of hipster bars go to Aksarben Village or something. Hipster money spends just the same as yuppie money and they are more than welcome to have an area that they enjoy. Heck without Benson I would argue Omaha's music scene would be a shadow of what it is now.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:31 PM

704 posts, read 1,613,700 times
Who are you people? You don't like bars? That's like not liking cheese. This forum has become an outlet for every social outcast who doesn't find something for themselves in the mainstream of America. I'm sorry... you don't like drinking!?! DRINKING! We're not friends.

Benson Rocks. Winchell's will help us drunks sop up the booze and settle our stomachs.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:25 AM

65 posts, read 109,715 times
Quote:
moving to Papillion might be nice.

at least, they have Papio Bowl Papio Bowl | Omaha.net

and that new coffee house Restaurante opening up near the Papillion Library

at least the favorite chain restaurants bring in a more diverse crowd than drunks.

btw, what is wrong with Omaha being family-friendly? (or is it some folks in omaha hate people who have a family

btw, crime has gone up, not down in benson since the drunk revolution happened.

there was never anybody getting stabbed or robbed in benson

(and if there was a robberies there in benson at all (pre 2009), it was once in a blue moon it happened, if at all)

btw to those on the far-far left who live in dundee: CVS has been around for a year and civilzation didnt collapse in dundee, so I welcome a CVS finally being built in benson area
Were you drunk when you wrote this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or