U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:58 PM

107 posts, read 175,314 times

Advertisements

I had been told that Omaha had fit my criteria for a good place to move for myself in the general forum. While if I get the job I am looking at I will take it regardless. This was the criteria I was looking for:

Decent cost of living
Low crime
Low unemployment
Affordable rent
Not horrible weather 24/7
Decent art scene
Progressive and at least somewhat liberal
Somewhere that is growing
Open-minded people
LGBTQ friendly
Live music venues

and then I read a thread in another city forum saying it's too conservative
Ready to leave Omaha...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 PM

816 posts, read 1,415,043 times
Decent cost of living - Omaha has recently been ranked on of the lowest!

Low crime- going by 2010 data omaha is ranked 17th safest out of 74 cities of 250k or more.(for violent crime)

Low unemployment - Omaha was also just ranked as the city with the lowest unemployment rate in the nation!

Affordable rent - goes with cost of living, rent is below average here.

Not horrible weather 24/7 - Subjective, but overall Omaha has rather nice weather.

Decent art scene Omaha Arts Guide

Progressive and at least somewhat liberal, any large city is going to be "somewhat liberal"

Somewhere that is growing - Omaha has grown every decade it has existed other than two (1900, 1980).

Open-minded people - debatable
LGBTQ friendly - again debatable, some are open, others outright hateful.

Live music venues - Redsky, MAHA Music Festival , Sokol Underground

Old 08-09-2012, 10:20 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,672,211 times
As a whole, i wouldnt really consider Omaha as conservative at all. Outside of omaha? Yes definitely.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 AM

5 posts, read 12,329 times
Omaha is growing and has a good economy (low unemployment, low cost of living).

Weather? It's okay if you don't mind occasional extremes or severe weather.

Arts and music? Quite a few options for a city this size. For live music check out the Benson area, the Sokol, Centurylink center for big venues, Jazz on the green, etc. The Joslyn is a good art museum. There is also the Bemis art center. The old market area has quite a few galleries.

Progressive/Liberal? As a whole, no. I'd say overall Omaha is moderate. Certain parts of the city tend to be more liberal particularly the eastern half of the city. I'm not sure how open minded people are in Omaha but they seem pretty tolerable. There is a sizable LGBT scene and the city recently passed an ordinance to prohibit employment discrimination based on sexual orientation/identity. Like the rest of the country, I assume attitudes here are changing/progressing. Conservatives in Omaha tend to be more concerned with fiscal issues than social ones (quite a few business people) but of course there are always exceptions.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:33 AM

59 posts, read 108,801 times
I would say many areas of Omaha east of 72nd St are not conservative at all. Areas such as Benson, Dundee, Midtown, and Downtown. These areas also fit a lot of the other criteria you are looking for (rent could be slightly higher depending on where you look).

Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,462,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
As a whole, i wouldnt really consider Omaha as conservative at all. Outside of omaha? Yes definitely.
omaha is very liberal.

the media is very liberal. so is the Omaha Public School board

even most churches in omaha are very liberal

Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM

3,096 posts, read 6,462,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
Decent cost of living - Omaha has recently been ranked on of the lowest!

Low crime- going by 2010 data omaha is ranked 17th safest out of 74 cities of 250k or more.(for violent crime)

Low unemployment - Omaha was also just ranked as the city with the lowest unemployment rate in the nation!

Affordable rent - goes with cost of living, rent is below average here.

Not horrible weather 24/7 - Subjective, but overall Omaha has rather nice weather.

Decent art scene Omaha Arts Guide

Progressive and at least somewhat liberal, any large city is going to be "somewhat liberal"

Somewhere that is growing - Omaha has grown every decade it has existed other than two (1900, 1980).

Open-minded people - debatable

LGBTQ friendly - again debatable, some are open, others outright hateful.

Live music venues - Redsky, MAHA Music Festival , Sokol Underground

omaha has a low crime problem? tell that to North Omaha than

Old 08-10-2012, 09:54 AM

107 posts, read 175,314 times
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm really hoping I get the job. Seems like the area would be a good fit for me.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 AM

3,340 posts, read 8,690,869 times
As a whole Omaha is definitely more moderate. It really just follows the typical formula of liberal city conservative suburbs. But, its mostly a live and let live attitude, so we hope you'll be happy here!

Old 08-13-2012, 01:30 PM

816 posts, read 1,415,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
omaha has a low crime problem? tell that to North Omaha than
Every city has it's hot spots. Anytime you cherry pick you can make things look however you want. Otherwise Omaha has been in the upper third of safest cities over 250k in population for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or