U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:55 AM

72 posts, read 205,462 times

Advertisements

Which is better?????
We are looking at relocating and these are two options for us! I am a PT and my husband will be volunteering for an Air Force Recruiting job. We have a two year old. I am from Fargo, North Dakota, he from Alabama. We recently lived in Minneapolis.
Does anyone on here that has any experience with both cities have any advice? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:42 AM

3,198 posts, read 11,343,304 times
Default Omaha

First off, I like Madison overall and think it is a nice town. Neat college town. State capital. So I think it isn't a bad place in the least. Unlike the other two posters here, I am a conservative, however, I would still live in Madison because it is a nice place (sometimes I wonder if "tolerant" liberals would do the same?...live amongst conservatives...but anyway...)

I think Omaha, NE is one of the most underrated mid-sized cities in the US, and I would vote for Omaha.

One big consideration you'd want to make is, do you want to live in a city with a metro population of over 900,000 people, or do you want to live in a more mid-sized town where the metro is just shy of 500K? Omaha feels like a fairly large town, Madison feels more smallish (as Midwestern BW pointed out) - both have their pros and cons for sure, but they just are what they are. I personally prefer the semi-big city with the more sizable ammenities, etc., but some prefer the smaller city - both have their pluses. Surely in Madison, you are only 70 miles from Milwaukee, so you aren't in a heavily remote area.

To me though, Omaha has a few other sizable advantages over Madison besides its population:

a) International airport - I do not know if, being in the AF, that is a big deal or not, but flights to and from Omaha are much easier to come by for travel. For some places to-fro Madison for a decent price, you'd have to utilize Milwaukee which could be a bit more of a pain.

b) Cost of living - Omaha has a really good cost of living (specifically cost of housing is far cheaper than Madison); you can get some really neat housing with good size for a good price in Omaha.

c) Taxes - This somewhat goes with # "b", but the difference between taxes between these two is so sizable it deserves its own seperate #...taxes are good in Omaha.

d) Weather - I live in Milwaukee, so it isn't like I absolutely abhore WI weather, however, Omaha has a nice weather advantage over us, more than many would think. Summers are a bit more opressive in Omaha, however, winters are respectably more mild (even though it can get its freezing and snowy snaps for sure) and are respectably shorter than WI winters also. Omaha gets all four seasons and winters / summers aren't cake (plus it is in tornado-ville), however, many winter days can have highs in the 50s commonly, snow doesn't stick for months to the ground, and outdoor activities can become somewhat regular again already in March.

e) Central proximity - I have a relative who lives in Omaha who remarked that she got to see out-of-town relatives/friends more in Omaha than when she lived elsewhere because so often, travelers go through that area, since it is so centrally located in the US. Omaha isn't immensely far from Denver, Oklahoma City, Kansas City, Des Moines, etc. Of course it is close to another pretty popular college city - Lincoln, NE. You can get places fairly easily in Omaha.

Omaha to me is a fairly pretty city. It has nice rolling hills, a fairly pretty downtown skyline / area that is getting nicer, the river running through it, etc., etc. Just a very pretty place. Like Tulsa, OK or Albuquerque, NM, too, to me, it is a pretty perfect sized population for a city - not too big to be congested, polluted, overly expensive, etc., but also big enough to have really everything you'd need from a bigger city.

Again, I enjoy Madison as well, but I just think Omaha is a better choice between the two.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:46 AM

87,037 posts, read 102,723,474 times
I would think Omaha would have better job opportunities for you, assuming you want to work w/a 2 yr old.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 AM

273 posts, read 189,802 times
Read my post: "Why I hate Omaha" I'm a graduate of UWM. Madison looks like heaven compared to this place.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM

20,866 posts, read 36,004,584 times
Madison has very strong economic growth compared with Omaha. (Douglas County) I prefer the geography of Madison (large lakes) compared with Omaha (river town). Madison is also more progressive than Omaha. I also like the scenery of Madison and the surrounding area better than Omaha. I generally prefer the Midwest compared with the Plains overall.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:41 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,653,509 times
"Why I hate Omaha" I'm a graduate of UWM. Madison looks like heaven compared to this place.

Don't listen to this guy. He apparently lives in a run down part of Omaha and is for some reason very bitter about it. Read the post he's referring to and you'll understand his opinion is an objective one.

Overall, Madison and Omaha are both nice cites, but for different reasons. I think "EnjoyEP" did a very good job of comparing and contrasting.

I'll just give you my "subjective" opinion of Omaha. Its really an unknown gem. For some reasons it gets painted as a "cow town" and I have no idea why. Its the home of several fortune 500 company headquarters. The Omaha metro has a population of about 900,000. To me it really just has the "best of both worlds" type of feel. Its small enough that you don't lose yourself to the rigors of living in gridlock (like L.A., Chicago, etc.), but its large enough that you don't really miss out on anything. Plus, as "EnjoyEP" mentioned Omaha is 45 minutes from Lincoln, which is a college town which would have a lot of that "Madison feel" to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or