Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2012, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,855 times

Advertisements

My daughter just moved to Omaha and so far is bored in her apartment with her 1 year old most of the day, while husband is at work. Are there any fun places to go hang out with a toddler? Any good activities or organizations to get involved with?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,860,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78f350 View Post
My daughter just moved to Omaha and so far is bored in her apartment with her 1 year old most of the day, while husband is at work. Are there any fun places to go hang out with a toddler? Any good activities or organizations to get involved with?
Thanks.

Recently I took one of my neighbors that doesn't drive to a Doctors visit in Omaha. She has a little girl that will be two in January. While I was babysitting the little girl in the waiting room the Doctors nurse told me the procedure would take two hours if I wanted to come back later. The Doctors office is a short distance from Cabela's so I decided I would take the little girl to visit it. Cabela's is free and the other choice the Henry Doorly Zoo isn't. I used one of the electric scooters that Cabelas provides for their handicapped customers with the two year old on my lap. She loved everything in Cabela's. The stuffed animals and the Aquarium were her favorites. Two hours went by very quickly. When we walked in to the Doctors office, A*****a was talking non stop about all the things she saw at Cabelas. Her Mother was starving so I suggested we go back to Cabela's and eat lunch at their snack bar. A great lunch and not really that expensive.

The little girl has talked about Cabela's constantly since and wants to take her Daddy to see it the next time they go to Omaha. Even a one year old should enjoy the trip and unless you buy something it is free.

GL2

Old 09-08-2012, 09:29 AM

482 posts, read 1,330,968 times
Where does she live? What are her interests? Does she drive? More info would make replies to this post much easier.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserdisque View Post
Where does she live? What are her interests? Does she drive? More info would make replies to this post much easier.
She lives south of town in the Bellevue area, she drives, she likes reading and sports - plays volleyball a lot, and just hanging out with her friends - mostly early 20s. She is not much into religion, but may enjoy a big church that has an active group of young families.

Thanks for the suggestion of Cabela's Gunluvver2, that actually does sound like a good time.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78f350 View Post
She lives south of town in the Bellevue area, she drives, she likes reading and sports - plays volleyball a lot, and just hanging out with her friends - mostly early 20s. She is not much into religion, but may enjoy a big church that has an active group of young families.

Thanks for the suggestion of Cabela's Gunluvver2, that actually does sound like a good time.
Fontenelle Forest, Schram Park, Bellevue Berry Farm. Since fall is almost here she could head down to the apple orchards in Nebraska City, Arbor Farm (think that's what it is called). Vala's Pumpkin Patch will be opening soon. It is expensive, but you can usually find discount coupons around town. There is a lot there for kids to do, so if you go often enough it can be worth buying a season pass.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:36 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,552,381 times
Also, check out the local libraries (Bellevue, Papillion, La Vista). They usually have special story time hour for kids. There is also the children's museum in downtown Omaha.

She could also take her kid to gymnastic classes. Kids Body Shop in Papillion offers classes for kids as young as 18 months, with parent participation. Might be a good way to socialize and meet other parents.

Last edited by TheBeagleLady; 09-08-2012 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-08-2012, 07:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
When my boys were little, I would do nutty things like pack a picnic lunch in the middle of a cold new england winter and drive over to the end of the airport runway. We'd sit in the car watching the airplanes and have a picnic. It was a hit with them and got me out of the house.

Take them to the library - kids story time or let them borrow a book or game.

The Y often has swimming classes for children 8 mos and older. That's also a good place to meet others.

I did a story-time at our church in the middle of the week for an hour in the morning.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm passing them on to her. Also she came up with a good one on her own and joined a fitness center that has daycare.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 PM

40 posts, read 112,857 times
Gymboree (near 124th and Center) has mom and child "classes" for little ones that age.

The zoo.

Omaha Children's Museum.

In another year or two, PE101 (somewhere within a couple miles of I-680 + Maple Street) will be a very big hit.

On a weekend every summer, be sure to check out Railroad Days. What kid doesn't like trains?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha