U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:30 AM

334 posts, read 795,659 times

Advertisements

I imagine the sadness was also tinged with disappointment, like you were almost looking forward to seeing how he'd outwit you this time. I had a similar but unnamed rodent in my old apartment. After a brilliant career he ended walking into a plain-old spring trap. I prefer to think that he knew his time was coming, so committed rat seppuku to spare himself (and me) the dishonor of dropping dead in a hidden crevice.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:47 AM

51,640 posts, read 41,606,703 times
It seriously sounds like you have a couple crappy neighbors in your immediate vicinity.

SOMEONE in your neighborhood (2 block radius) has let rats infest and once they infest and breed they start to spread. These are probably the same idiots that are causing the bulk of the crime\grafitti you are having problems with.

There was an extended family in the town I grew up in that was responsible for most of the crime in the town. The police knew every member of that family by name. I'm guessing you live near the equivalent.

Chiggers MAY be more prevalent in your area due to the rats or other unsanitary conditions that are causing the rats.

I've visited family etc. in Omaha and found it quite nice. You seem to have gotten the short straw in an otherwise pretty nice town. My hometown was nice too but if you'd moved next door to certain families it was going to be a nightmare. Best of luck.

Might I suggest RENTING where you move next to see if you like the area?

Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 AM

273 posts, read 188,476 times
This is Rattatouie.

Attached Thumbnails
Reasons I hate Omaha-rattatoie-002.jpg  

Last edited by pablo-me; 10-27-2007 at 10:12 AM..

Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 AM

884 posts, read 756,618 times
Looks like you were feeding him well.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:11 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,486,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo-me View Post
As I said, 'no disrespect for those who call this home'.

While different folks are attracted to different things, I doubt anyone likes the things I pointed out. I didn't make this stuff up and it's not meant to be disrespectful to Omahamens (or whatever they're called). It's my observation and a 'heads up' to anyone coming here from another place.

In response:1) Cargill, Tyson, etc...
2) Saw 3 Rats in our neighborhood this year.....that's 3 too many!
3) Nebraska taxes are the worst I've seen anywhere...and I've owned
homes in four different states. And then Nebraska politicians tell
everyone how they pay for "the best roads in the country." Not true,
mediocre roads at best in comparison to rest of the US.
4) "Chigggers!!!!' My God, you even talk about it's like it's no big deal to
become infested with these parasites that live in every yard in this city.
NO SIR!!! No other place in the country with grass that I've lived has
'Chiggers'.

AGAIN, NO DISRESPECT, NOTHING PERSONAL....JUST MY IMPRESSION
AFTER 4 YEARS, AND A HEADS UP FOR OTHERS.

Seperate question for 'mattpoulsen': Can you respond to my observations of response time of 911 and law enforcement? I might be mistaken, but I thought you had previous experience in this area. Can you confirm the level of gang activity at South High?
You'd better not come to Texas, we make chiggers here and export them to the rest of the country!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:25 PM

273 posts, read 188,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
Looks like you were feeding him well.
Once I figured out his identity, I fed him like a king and treated him like family.
His last supper (pictured above, post mortem) consisted of cooked bacon, Campells' Chunky Soup, some vegetables and a nice fruit platter.

Here is proof of how intelligent Rattatouie truely was. I stared in stunned disbelief as the reality set in that he out-smarted me again.
He had cunning, dexterity and a dry wit, as if to say: "Nice try, oh breath of Baghdad!"

Attached Thumbnails
Reasons I hate Omaha-dsc01464_edited.jpg  

Last edited by pablo-me; 10-29-2007 at 09:53 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 01:57 PM

258 posts, read 904,676 times
pablo....I can't help but laugh man. You would be hard pressed to find a safer metropolitan area, not just currently in the US>..but throughout the history of mankind. Good luck on finding your utopia.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,823,153 times
Sioux Falls has the strongest economy in the northern plains and their are plenty of small towns that are in proxmity to that metro area. Sioux Falls also has a fairly strong economy compared with Douglas County (Omaha). The weather in Omaha is tropical compared to SD, though.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:25 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,646,494 times
I don't think I would say Sioux Falls economy is stronger than Omaha's. I like Sioux Falls, but I don't see how it has a stronger economy than Omaha...maybe Lincoln, but I don't see Omaha.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:54 PM

20,786 posts, read 35,823,153 times
Post Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I don't think I would say Sioux Falls economy is stronger than Omaha's. I like Sioux Falls, but I don't see how it has a stronger economy than Omaha...maybe Lincoln, but I don't see Omaha.
(Core County Comparison Data)

Sioux Falls (Minnehaha County) experienced a 4.4% increase in non-farm employment between 2000-2005.
The suburban county of Sioux Falls (Lincoln County) experienced a 51.2% inchrease in non-farm employment between 2000-2005.
35.7% of all non-farm employment in South Dakota is concentrated in those two counties based on the 2005 data.

Omaha (Dougals County) experienced a -3.4% decline in non-farm employment between 2000-2005.
The suburban county of Omaha (Sarpy County) experienced a 35.9% increase in non-farm employment between 2000-2005.
43% of all non-farm employment in Nebraska is concentrated in those two counties based on the 2005 data.

Overall, the Sioux Falls metro seems to be adding non-farm employment with higher percentage gains compared with the Omaha metro even though Sioux Falls has a smaller population.

Source: State and County QuickFacts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or