U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,434,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ndo View Post
I imagine the sadness was also tinged with disappointment, like you were almost looking forward to seeing how he'd outwit you this time. I had a similar but unnamed rodent in my old apartment. After a brilliant career he ended walking into a plain-old spring trap. I prefer to think that he knew his time was coming, so committed rat seppuku to spare himself (and me) the dishonor of dropping dead in a hidden crevice.

Rats are very intelligent animals. I have 3 girls as pets, and they are like little dogs. Extremely affectionate and intelligent.
People who have had them as pets are constantly surprised by what wonderful pets they make.
You won't see this with other rodents, like hamsters and gerbils, yet people think they are the ones to buy.
One of mine, Athena, was a great animal. I had more affection from her than any dog or cat.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:58 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,650,851 times
I'm assuming those numbers are in absolute terms...meaning an overall increase in non-farm jobs...as opposed to a rate increase, which would be ridiculous at those levels.

That said, the numbers increase you see for Sioux Falls (Lincoln County) and Sarpee county simply show an increase in overall growth, in absolute terms, meaning there bringing in new people and more economic development, which is great. Douglass County, however, is much more developed and it isn't allowed to expand as fast, as say Sarpee county. Douglass is just more of a maturely developed economy.

Like I said, I do like Sioux Falls, but there is much more to economic strength than those #'s.

For example, you could add up the # of fortune 500 companies that exist in Omaha and Sioux Falls or you could look at income levels. There are just a # of things to look at and, in general, I just think Omaha is from an overall point of view stronger.

Plus, with surrounding communities like Bellevue, Papillion, Fremont, and even Lincoln (a bit further at 40 minutes) much of the strength of Omaha is actually not in Omaha proper.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 AM

884 posts, read 760,503 times
Maybe S.F. is experiencing a higher percentage of economic gains for the city alone but I would like to see a comparison of the two's metro's. Also, there is a lot to be said for an economy which has proven to be one of the least volatile in the country. Omaha won't necessarily have extreme highs nor will it have extreme lows in its economy and I think that it's been a good thing.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I'm assuming those numbers are in absolute terms...meaning an overall increase in non-farm jobs...as opposed to a rate increase, which would be ridiculous at those levels.

That said, the numbers increase you see for Sioux Falls (Lincoln County) and Sarpee county simply show an increase in overall growth, in absolute terms, meaning there bringing in new people and more economic development, which is great. Douglass County, however, is much more developed and it isn't allowed to expand as fast, as say Sarpee county. Douglass is just more of a maturely developed economy.

Like I said, I do like Sioux Falls, but there is much more to economic strength than those #'s.

For example, you could add up the # of fortune 500 companies that exist in Omaha and Sioux Falls or you could look at income levels. There are just a # of things to look at and, in general, I just think Omaha is from an overall point of view stronger.

Plus, with surrounding communities like Bellevue, Papillion, Fremont, and even Lincoln (a bit further at 40 minutes) much of the strength of Omaha is actually not in Omaha proper.
I think the data indicates that the economic growth in both metro areas has been the strongest in the outlying areas and suburban areas. However, I still think that Omaha and Lincoln areas will continue to experience solid growth rates because the to two metro areas represent around 50% of the total non-farm employment in Nebraska.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:06 AM

98 posts, read 363,212 times
Default Way off track.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
One of mine, Athena, was a great animal. I had more affection from her than any dog or cat.
but my dog's name is Athena....not a very common pet name.

And to pablo-me, I was glad to see in your previous post you gave advise on 'CHIGGERS'!!!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:04 PM

273 posts, read 189,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarriedWithOutChildren View Post
but my dog's name is Athena....not a very common pet name.

And to pablo-me, I was glad to see in your previous post you gave advise on 'CHIGGERS'!!!
If you can't beat em, join em.

Old 11-20-2007, 11:10 PM

149 posts, read 424,595 times
My dad and brother hunted a giant rat in their garage, that dad named "the warrior",,for months on end...Warrior would chew holes through plastic 5 gallon buckets to get at birdseed, and tripped any trap they would set up....but after removing the birdseed, the warrior fell victim to a trap laden with peanut butter....and yes, my dad and brother felt terrible afterwards...they admitted that they actually enjoyed the way this rat would outsmart them.......

and being from nebraska, my dad would talk often about the chiggars in the grass....he said they finally came out with a product called "chig" that you would put on the bites, that would help with the horrible itching...have never seen any of those in California though, so they are not everywhere.....

Old 11-21-2007, 01:32 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way...I will always remember Rattatouie for his cunning, good nature and sense of humor.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:07 PM

149 posts, read 424,595 times
My dad looked like he was going to cry when showing me the chewed buckets...he said he probably should have just left him alone, for afterall, he was just doing what he had to do to survive....(my dad was the ultimate softy with animals) but yours was in the house walls....a different situation!..

I am in sort of a similar situation with raccoons that visit my yard...they scare me to death, for I hear they can be nasty if surprised or cornered, and are not one bit afraid of humans...so I thought of trapping and relocating them, but instead, have been making myself TRY and enjoy them, and to get over my fears....slowly it is working....but they are still creepy!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 PM

I do find solice in the fact Rattatouie was beyond beyond his prime and I was able to give him a peaceful, painless ending.
I put a Rattatouie magnet on my fridge to honor him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or