U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-06-2009, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 1,060,409 times
Reputation: 122

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Why do you have to drag this crap into every thread you post?
Gay issues are legitimate issues for our state when you consider Nebraska's political atmosphere is dead set against homosexuals.

 
Old 02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 1,060,409 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Oh give me a break!! No one on here is being hostile to Surf because he's advocating a gay issue or perspective. People are hostile in response to his unbelievably inflammatory and aggressive tactics that he has used on this thread and others!



Please!
Where in this thread have I been hostile? I've been bringing up gay issues in a less hostile manner for quite some time now. Yet, look at the reactions I get everytime I fit the gay perspective in an Omaha/Nebraska issue. What? Gays can't be part of Omaha? We have a valid view, accept it. Its time Omahans and Nebraskans acknowledge the seriosness of the issue. It does make Omaha a hostile place for gays, which is absolutely antithetical to the attempts of past Omaha administrations to make Omaha a better place to live for everyone! Omaha is becoming an area of liberalism which is at odds with the conservatism of the rest of the state! A blue dot in a red field this election year.
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,216,834 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
Where in this thread have I been hostile? I've been bringing up gay issues in a less hostile manner for quite some time now. Yet, look at the reactions I get everytime I fit the gay perspective in an Omaha/Nebraska issue. What? Gays can't be part of Omaha? We have a valid view, accept it. Its time Omahans and Nebraskans acknowledge the seriosness of the issue. It does make Omaha a hostile place for gays, which is absolutely antithetical to the attempts of past Omaha administrations to make Omaha a better place to live for everyone! Omaha is becoming an area of liberalism which is at odds with the conservatism of the rest of the state! A blue dot in a red field this election year.
Trust me, a blue dot isn't telling the whole story.

Omaha isn't a liberal haven. Omaha is an area with a wide political spectrum. The only thing that blue dot says is the McCain campaign was very week and Obama's was very strong. It also points out many people were very unhappy with Bush's performance and Obama was just what people were looking for.

From my experience people in Omaha have a very wide array of political views, but many are able to vote sensible/middle of the road when it's appropriate.

Once again, we all get the issue...you're just not gonna set "your people" free on city-data, lol.
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 1,060,409 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Trust me, a blue dot isn't telling the whole story.

Omaha isn't a liberal haven. Omaha is an area with a wide political spectrum. The only thing that blue dot says is the McCain campaign was very week and Obama's was very strong. It also points out many people were very unhappy with Bush's performance and Obama was just what people were looking for.

From my experience people in Omaha have a very wide array of political views, but many are able to vote sensible/middle of the road when it's appropriate.

Once again, we all get the issue...you're just not gonna set "your people" free on city-data, lol.
I don't need to set my people free on city-data, I only need to show that gays are out there and we are active on the political scene. The ones who read my posts are not alone. They'll know where to go to set themselves free.
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,216,834 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post
I don't need to set my people free on city-data, I only need to show that gays are out there and we are active on the political scene. The ones who read my posts are not alone. They'll know where to go to set themselves free.
Surf, if all gays were as arrogant as you, then I would be all for "gay prohibition".
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Midtown Omaha
605 posts, read 1,060,409 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Surf, if all gays were as arrogant as you, then I would be all for "gay prohibition".
You are the perfect example of what gays have to deal with here. Everyone's open minded about gays until they actually have to deal with gay issues. That's the subtlety of the bigotry we deal with in Omaha.

If I bring up the a gay perspective, I am arrogant. If I bow down to your perspective I'm cool and what a rad guy I am, right?
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
 
Location: West Omaha
1,181 posts, read 3,652,191 times
Reputation: 477
Surf,

My point is I DO SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE. I also have many gay friends, I do believe they should have all the rights as everyone else, and I do believe gay issues are legitimate issues.

But that doesn't mean every conversation has to turn into a debate about gay rights! Further, I can't point to any one post where you're being hostile because you're hostile in about every single one!

You don't bring up any facts...you just say "bigot this...bigot that"...blah blah blah..."hate legislation."

Maybe you should focus on what people are actually saying. If you'd read the responses the dissent is really related to "gayness" its related to your attitude and your tactics. It has nothing to do with "dealing with gay issues!" No one is expecting you to "bow down" or change your beliefs or stance. But you can't seriously expect to get anywhere by simply dismissing everyone that disagrees with you as a bigot! To call everyone in Nebraska a bigot because some of the extreme right are against gay marriage is simply unfair and simply untrue.

You're not educating anyone here...you're "yelling" at people. Most people on here appear to support the expansion of gay rights!! Why do you think its necessary to call them bigots??

Case in point, you're arguing with me over this whole topic and I support gay marriage!!! That should tell you something about your approach.
 
Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,216,834 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfOmaha View Post

If I bring up the a gay perspective, I am arrogant. If I bow down to your perspective I'm cool and what a rad guy I am, right?

I wouldn't go as far to say "rad", maybe just ok.

How do you do it? Maybe I just have a weaker personality, but with all the persecution, discrimination, bigotry and prejudice you experience here in Nebraska it would make me want to move somewhere more tolerant.

I've got some frequent flyer miles adding up, let me know if ya need some
 
Old 02-06-2009, 09:38 AM
 
516 posts, read 1,212,465 times
Reputation: 120
I think part of the problem here is that you guys take this way too personally. Bigotry can co-exist with tolerance (just look at the passage of Prop 8!). In the case of Nebraska the intolerance shows itself politically in legislation. For example, every year Ernie Chambers proposes a gay equal-rights law, and every year it is voted down (in one case because "we don't want those cross-dressers to be able to teach school here now do we," seriously). So, yeah, there is certainly progress to be made here on social issues.

Another example would be (and this has less to do with gay rights) the fact that in 2007 Omaha ranked highest in the US (per capita) of people who filed housing discrimination reports (mostly from African Americans).

So there are good things about Omaha, but there are certainly places where Nebraska needs to progress.
 
Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Omaha
2,716 posts, read 6,216,834 times
Reputation: 1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
I think part of the problem here is that you guys take this way too personally. Bigotry can co-exist with tolerance (just look at the passage of Prop 8!). In the case of Nebraska the intolerance shows itself politically in legislation. For example, every year Ernie Chambers proposes a gay equal-rights law, and every year it is voted down (in one case because "we don't want those cross-dressers to be able to teach school here now do we," seriously). So, yeah, there is certainly progress to be made here on social issues.
Yeah, we get it. We have all along. I think it's very obvious at this point Surf, hopefully not you(but maybe), are just pushing the issue because you enjoy the sound of your own voices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy From Cali View Post
Another example would be (and this has less to do with gay rights) the fact that in 2007 Omaha ranked highest in the US (per capita) of people who filed housing discrimination reports (mostly from African Americans).
Live in Omaha a bit longer and you will start understanding how a certain class of the African American community in Omaha works. Get involved with the city and various unions city-wide and you will grasp the culture of false accusations, bogus lawsuites which are often spearheaded by organizations like the AACOA (amoung others) who live to aquire freebies via the local court system. That's not B.S., that's a reality in Omaha.

I'm not saying discrimination doesn't exists, it's just very fabricated many times.

(Keep in mind, for the year 2007 I highly doubt any property owners would be that fussy about filling vacant properties. Investments of that nature are usually color blind.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:01 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top