U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:00 PM

31 posts, read 65,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeandJill View Post
And this is one of the reasons I moved out of Nebraska. In Nebraska an individual must first obtain a hand gun purchasing permit. A firearm CAN NOT be purchased with out this in the state of Nebraska.
False. The handgun purchase permit is to purchase a handgun. It is not needed to purchase a long gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:55 AM

13,879 posts, read 19,057,264 times
Quote:
And this is one of the reasons I moved out of Nebraska. In Nebraska an individual must first obtain a hand gun purchasing permit. A firearm CAN NOT be purchased with out this in the state of Nebraska.
The Douglas County Sheriff is responsible for issuing these and can and will deny you if they don't like the sound of your name or area where you reside. They did this to both me AND my sister. I had actually owned a permit to purchase for over a decade since I had initially turned 21. The permit expired, when I went down to renew it I was told they would send a response ( which in and of itself was strange to me) A few days later I was issued a denial letter. I called and they stated the sheriff had denied it for "unknown reasons"
Now keep in mind I have never been convicted of any felony or violent misdemeanor, or any other crime for that matter. I actually had never had any law enforcement contact since the last time I was issued my permit.... yet, i was denied.
I was informed that I could set a trial to contest this. I immediately called a long time friend of mine at the regional ATF office in Omaha, who ran a back ground check on me and stated " there is no reason you should be denied".
I never contested, I moved and interestingly enough, Iowa issued me a permit AND CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT....no problem. I then moved a few years later for work, and no issues in the state of Texas. Yet, the Nebraska sheriff had "reasons" for denying me.
My sister had the same situation but she did indeed contest it in court at which time the judge told her, there is no reason she should be denied and promptly ordered the issuance of her permit. What did we have in common besides a Latino last name ?.............the area we lived in which was east of 72nd st and north of Dodge.
Any way.............. the permit to purchase allows a firearm to be purchased in the state of Nebraska but in the city of Omaha the gun must be registered similar to a vehicle. The city wants to keep track of your firearms.
I lived in Nebraska for over 35 years and this incident left a bad taste in my mouth. If you love firearms and the true freedom of owning them...............We here in the Lone Star State would welcome you with open arms !!
Not sure what the big deal is here. While it sucks that the Sheriff denied you at first, the system has remedies built in and as you mentioned, people who use it tend to get the results they want.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:30 PM

906 posts, read 1,531,760 times
The second amendment of the constitution, as ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, reads - "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

sounds like Douglas County Sheriffs Dept. is infringing upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM

77 posts, read 168,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYNO71 View Post
False. The handgun purchase permit is to purchase a handgun. It is not needed to purchase a long gun.
This is true, a rifle or shot gun can be purchased with out the permit. I misstated this.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
The second amendment of the constitution, as ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, reads - "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

sounds like Douglas County Sheriffs Dept. is infringing upon the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
This is exactly what is happening.... I am not complaining simply stating facts. Like I said I now reside in Texas, and trust me NO ONE loves their weapons like Texans
Sure I had other options but my issue is said options should not have been required in the first place.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:

No, that's not quite the case.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM

906 posts, read 1,531,760 times
If you have the right to go to the grocery store, but I say you need a permit from me to go to the grocery store, and I arrest you when you don't have said permit, I am infringing on your right to go to the grocery store.

Douglas County Sheriff is breaking the law by saying you need a permit to keep and bear guns.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
If you have the right to go to the grocery store, but I say you need a permit from me to go to the grocery store, and I arrest you when you don't have said permit, I am infringing on your right to go to the grocery store.

Douglas County Sheriff is breaking the law by saying you need a permit to keep and bear guns.
You're welcome to your opinions, of course, however that does not make them correct. The courts have long held that licensing restrictions are legal, even in the context of "may issue" permits, provided a reasonable reason is given for the refusal.

Even the gun rights lobby recognizes this.

Quote:
"We're not challenging the constitutionality of having a licensing system," Alan Gura, a lawyer for the Second Amendment Foundation, told the three-judge panel in a case involving a Baltimore County man's permit renewal.
Federal appeals court hears Maryland gun permit challenge - Baltimore Sun

Here is a snippet of the lower courts decision in the same case.

Quote:
"At bottom, this case rests on a simple proposition: If the Government wishes to burden a right guaranteed by the Constitution, it may do so provided that it can show a satisfactory justification and a sufficiently adapted method. The showing, however, is always the Government‘s to make. A citizen may not be required to offer a good and substantial reason why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs."

Old 01-26-2013, 09:31 AM

It wasn't that long ago in this country that it was "legal" to implement restrictions on individuals based on the color of their skin.
Just because the said practice of a local government falls with in what is considered a non violation of the law does not make it acceptable, nor should it be tolerated.
Iowa recently adopted a "shall issue" stance and in direct correlation nearly 30,000 individuals were granted CCW permits that for "some reason" or another were initially turned down by local sheriffs.
Leaving something as precious as our constitutional right to bare arms to the bias opinions and political motivations of an individual regardless of legal precedence is a sure fire way of eventually crossing the line and imposing upon said rights.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
It wasn't that long ago in this country that it was "legal" to implement restrictions on individuals based on the color of their skin.
Just because the said practice of a local government falls with in what is considered a non violation of the law does not make it acceptable, nor should it be tolerated.
Iowa recently adopted a "shall issue" stance and in direct correlation nearly 30,000 individuals were granted CCW permits that for "some reason" or another were initially turned down by local sheriffs.
Leaving something as precious as our constitutional right to bare arms to the bias opinions and political motivations of an individual regardless of legal precedence is a sure fire way of eventually crossing the line and imposing upon said rights.
I'm not sure how much you know about history, but I would point out here that such discrimination was essentially written into the original version of the U.S Constitution with the 3/5ths compromise. It then took about a century's worth of civil war, a constitutional amendment, a handful of legal precedent going both ways and finally a huge piece of landmark legislation, but the country eventually got it right.

Again, you're more than welcome to have your own opinions on the law, but just understand that it's ultimately the courts who get to decide this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or