U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 PM

109 posts, read 281,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
However, if it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing? Now THAT, I can identify with!
I thought that much was understood. Everything I have done so far to include the money and time spent has been about principle! Well worth it and then some in my opinion and just like the infomercials, "Wait I'm Not Done"!

Last edited by south_east2west; 01-28-2013 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, I do see your point- they had plenty of time to take care of things, but they didn't. And the things that they didn't take care of weren't huge things, like massive holes in the walls, or rats, or...well, you know what I mean. But I guess what I'm wondering, is, the website, etc., what will it accomplish?
Word of mouth in a small town is everything. Look we're talking about it.

Quote:
the extent of hiring an attorney, which isn't cheap.
I didn't hire an attorney but instead told them if they enter the house without my consent and knowledge I will take action. Not a threat but a promise. The money to hire an attorney is an extremely small price to pay when compared to the bigger picture. I don't mind at all and like I previously said, welcome it.

Quote:
Light bulbs being replaced, nail holes being puttied (or just put pictures over them, which is probably what the nail holes are already there for, lol)....get rid of the kids stuff in the backyard, make a note of the damaged wash room floor so you don't end up having to pay for it when you move, things like that.
Are you suggesting I do these things myself? If so, why are the homeowners making monthly payments to Al & Nancy Woolley to maintain their house?

Old 01-28-2013, 09:58 PM

906 posts, read 1,537,008 times
Never, ever, rent a place sight unseen. Also, your pictures make it seem like a pretty clean place, for Omaha standards.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Due to my profession renting sight unseen is usually the only option and since I've successfully done it several times in the past, I thought nothing of it. Lesson learned!

Based on what you said about Omaha standards perhaps I should consider myself lucky. :-)

Old 01-28-2013, 10:55 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,444,228 times
Glad you like it! Sorry you are having issues with the rental company, though. Been there, done that...don't ever rent from Lund Company!

Water quality seems to be hit and miss. I rented an apartment in Papillion (see my advice above!) and the water was gross. In other parts of town it tasted fine to me, but I am used to hard water.

The city I live in now has absolutely no rhyme or reason to the streets. I kind of miss Omaha's grid system! LOL

Old 01-29-2013, 06:08 AM

920 posts, read 1,730,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Never, ever, rent a place sight unseen. Also, your pictures make it seem like a pretty clean place, for Omaha standards.
Same situation when we first moved there, maybe that's why I felt that the issues of the place weren't that big of a deal. The place we had at first had some serious issues, one being nails coming up in the natural "we just refinished it" wood floor- I can't tell you how many pairs of socks (and bottoms of feet) that we all tore holes in because of it- there were several other issues that we didn't know about until we got there (lead in the yard, anyone?) But this is how it is when you can't travel a couple thousand miles to check places out before you move, which is what our situation was as well- comes down to good old "caveat emptor", or in this case? Caveat Renter, lol.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
are you suggesting I do these things myself? If so, why are the homeowners making monthly payments to Al & Nancy Woolley to maintain their house?
It isn't right when someone (the homeowners) pay a company to maintain a home, and the company doesn't do what they are supposed to do. Have you contacted the homeowners to let them know about it? Of course you have, lol-

And actually, yes, I was suggesting that you do them yourself, only because you are living there, you have to see it every day, and you already took pictures of everything for proof-not to mention the fact that it would seem the mgmt. company appears to have dug in their heels, and are refusing to come take care of it. If you signed a lease, you're somewhat "stuck", and why look at all of that every day when it bothers you so much, you know? Thankfully, they aren't major repairs.

Look at it as a weekend project, lol!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 AM

291 posts, read 426,084 times
Metro Crossing is at the junction of I-80 and I-29 . Should be a fast trip. There is also one close to Oakview Mall in Omaha.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:30 AM

On the up side, make sure you and your wife check out the zoo- it's really top-notch, we loved it! Also, Happy Hollow is a wonderful neighborhood, and the people on the "50's" streets right before it really go all out at Halloween, loads of fun just to walk the neighborhood at that time.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM

13,929 posts, read 19,142,988 times
First off, welcome to the area! It's been about 11 years since I left Omaha, but I'm glad to see you made it there and like the area! I'll throw in my 2 cents on some of your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
My Impressions of Omaha so far:

1. I have great neighbors that I’m sure are from another planet! Example #1. When I arrived at the rental property there were 8 inches of untouched snow in the driveway. My shovels were on the moving truck which was scheduled to arrive an hour later so I had no choice but to ask a random neighbor if I could borrow their shovel. Not only did the neighbor loan me a shovel but also came out and helped shovel the driveway and sidewalk. Example #2. Another neighbor brought over a bag of salt (maybe it was sand) for the drive way. He and his wife also extended an invitation for Christmas breakfast at their house. Example #3. I received numerous “welcome to the neighborhood visits” along with assorted goodies such as cookies, candy, etc. The above examples may be no big deal to some of you but to me, their kind gestures were HUGE! I’ve lived on the east coast, west coast, northeast, and PNW and for the most part was ignored by my neighbors.
I had the same experience. When we moved from Omaha to Council Bluffs, we got welcomed by all three of our neighbors. Not so when we left for Florida.

Quote:
2. My first day or two in the area I thought Omaha drivers were the worse. Several weeks later my opinion is just the opposite. There’s always one or three idiots driving aggressively but for the most part, folks drive the speed limit and dare I say often times below the speed limit. Yikes!
Iowa drivers are generally worse. We used to joke that the "Iowa" on the license plate stood for "Idiot Out Wandering Around." Florida drivers make me miss Iowa drivers though.

Quote:
3. Majority of the people I’ve encountered are warm, friendly, and overall welcoming. People seem to be split down the middle when it comes to their like or dislike for the area. I met just as many people who love it as I do those who question my sanity for moving here. I steer clear of the later bunch.
That was about my experience as well. Most people are friendly, most love the area but some don't.

Quote:
4. Tap water is absolutely disgusting! I tried for over a week to adjust to no avail. Something just seems off. I own a Brita pitcher/filter that has been packed up for four years until now.
Like BeagleLady said, this can be location specific. Our tap water was good but not great in Omaha, better in Council Bluffs. Both were better than what we have here in Florida. I'd definitely recommend those Brita filters though, regardless of location. They help alot.

Quote:
5. Staying on the subject of water, for the first couple of weeks my dishes came out of the dishwasher smeared, chalky, and riddled with water marks and it would tick me off every time. I was told about a product call LemiShine which work wonders neutralizing the hard mineral filled water of Nebraska.
I think one of the better investments you can make in any area is a water softening system.

Quote:
6. I am a vitamin / supplement junkie and am not too happy that my only choice for a vast assortment of vitamins and supplements is GNC. I wish there was a Super Supplements, Vitamin World, or Vitamin Shoppe in the area.
I know some of this has already been covered, but take it from a guy who lifts weights and buys his fair share of supplements. Get it online. I purchased some casein protein from BodyBuilding.com in 2011 and even with the cost of shipping, it was substantially cheaper than what I would have got at a brick and mortar store.

Quote:
7. Please don’t laugh at what I am about to say but so far I’ve visited Johnny’s Italian Steak House, Texas Roadhouse, and Anthonys to satisfy my craving for steak. The best steak by far was Texas Road House followed by Anthony’s. Johhny’s Italian Steak House was horrible!
Johnny's used to be really good, but from my understanding it has slipped in recent years. Unfortunately, Mister C's is long gone (they were my steakhouse of choice in Omaha) but we still have plenty of options for you to try.

Quote:
8. Mt. Dew & Mello Yello is the rule and not the exception as I’ve experienced in other places I’ve lived. Now when dining out I no longer ask IF they serve Mt. Dew or Mello Yello as I’ve come to expect it. Yes this IS a big deal to me!
Hmm, that's weird. I don't often find Mello Yello around here, but I can't remember ever having an issue finding Mountain Dew in Omaha when I was there.

Quote:
9. Although I’ve been told February will be the start of bone penetrating frigid temperatures, I’ve found the weather so far to be great. It’s almost always sunny, barely rains, and there are many days where a coat isn’t necessary. Admittedly I have a high tolerance for cold temperatures and some days I am the only idiot without a coat.
Agreed. Omaha winters really aren't bad. You'll have a few really cold days, but for the most part it's mild.

Quote:
10. The radio stations offer a lil something for everyone. …Jazz, Classical, R&B, Gospel, Pop, etc
This was one thing I never cared for when I was there. I thought the market was over-saturated with country stations. In the early to mid 90's we must have had three or four FM countries stations and everything else was pretty much "blah" except for Lite 96 and Sweet 98. That started to get better in the later part of the 90's and early 2000's. 93.3 (K-Rock, later became "The Dam") played a good selection of modern rock, 89.7 (The River, Iowa Western's channel) was in its prime, and all genres were pretty well covered at the time. I guess it's gone back the other way since then, unfortunately.

Quote:
11. Hy-Vee is great! – Where else can you go to take care of postal services, dry cleaning, gas, groceries, separate wine section, freshly made Chinese and Pizzeria!? Did I say dry cleaning?
We always used Baker's when we lived in Omaha and loved it. They're a shell of their former selves now. When we moved to Council Bluffs we used a combination of Super Saver and Hy-Vee. I found Hy-Vee to be a pretty good store, but never used any of the ones in Omaha.

Quote:
12. Customer service can be hit or miss but it has mostly been HIT for me. Not only are people friendly but they WANT to help. People also seem incredibly genuine and as a result, I am stopped all the time for casual conversation especially if wearing my favorite Seattle or Portland sweatshirt.
Pretty much in line with my experiences.

Quote:
13. Traffic – What traffic!?
I know, right? I can probably count on one hand the number of traffic jams I experienced in Omaha.

Quote:
14. I don’t find Omaha to be spread out as much as people claim. On average it takes 11-19 miles to get most places I want to go. Work is only 8.1 miles.
I never understood people who claim otherwise. Omaha is actually one of the more compact cities in the U.S.

Quote:
16. Do-it-yourself Car wash!!!! Yeah go ahead and laugh but I thoroughly enjoy washing my own car and besides it’s cheaper. Other places I’ve lived have phased these yesteryear treasures out but Omaha have plenty that are fully operational. Yes even when it’s cold as you know what outside they still work!
We still have a good amount of these in Florida, but they were still pretty common when we left Omaha. I never use them much anymore though, since I have a 2700 psi pressure washer.

Quote:
17. Street Numbers – I am still not use to street numbers within residential communities. Other places I’ve lived reserve street numbers for the “down town” area.
It'll take some getting used to, but once you do its very easy to navigate in Omaha, especially in the eastern part of the city where the grid system is intact.

Quote:
18. Rental Property – Please please please be careful when choosing a rental property OR rental property management company. I got stuck with a HORRIBLE one and as a result created the following website after the owners of A-1 Property Management refused to address my concerns. The web address is (avoid moving with nancy dot com)
One thing I've learned is that the rental market is not strong in Omaha due to the low cost of housing. I first joined this forum back in 2008 when I was wanting to move back to Omaha and I called and spoke to several real estate agents who said the same thing.

Anyways, congrats again on the move! Hope you stay active here on this forum as we could always use more posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or