U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM

124 posts, read 280,702 times

Advertisements

I moved here in 2005 right out of highschool so my story for being here is a lot different than yours.. but honestly, I really believe that I chose one of the easiest places to come to as far as getting by.

Weather.. don't get too comfortable with the mild weather. When I first moved here it was (or at least seemed to be) waaaay worse. We've had like three winters in a row that have been super mild and pretty much nothing (and this is coming from someone who moved here from northern coastal California) but I'm waiting for it to just get super gnarly. Omaha has the potential for it so it's not completely crazy to think it'll happen.

No Name Nutrition is awesome and I highly recommend it, as another poster did.

also, the right on red thing? You can do that as long as the other side of the street isn't left turning anymore, they put the 'no turn' sign on when the other side has a green light to make a left, but after that you dont need to wait for the green arrow to turn right. also, if you haven't learned/found out by now, NO LEFT TURNING ON DODGE. In the seven years i've lived here I've never actually gotten a fully straight answer, but the general consensus is that you can't turn left off dodge ANYWHERE; sign or not. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that streets that don't have a specific sign saying no left turn (they're about every other block but not on every single street) you can do it but, honestly, i just wouldn't try. you'll most likely get t-boned or at least honked at by 10 other drivers.

I'm surprised you like Texas Road House more than Anthonys. Anthonys has been here foreverrrrrrrrrrrr but Texas Road House is actually pretty new, I think it was built maybe two years ago? But seriously drive past Anthonys on a Saturday night.. that place is paaaaaaaacked. but I guess I have heard TRH is pretty good.. We used to have Lone Star Steakhouse but I'm almost positive they went out of business cause they couldn't compete with TRH.

The Omaha spread.. in miles no it's not gigantic, but it also used to be a LOT smaller. It was a big deal a couple of years ago when Omaha spread to the city of Elkhorn and wanted to annex it. The people of that city were NOT happy about it at all and fought tooth and nail against it but they were eventually annexed. now, at least according to wikipedia, elkhorn is considered a 'neighbourhood' in Omaha.

Honestly Omaha is not a bad place at all. it's got a few cons, obviously, but in general.. pretty good. i've lived here seven years and while I don't plan on living here forever (I can't be this far away from an ocean my entire life!) I wouldn't talk someone out of moving here. and so I wish you many many happy years here
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:33 PM

109 posts, read 293,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Re: Vitamins;

No name nutrition

Truthfully, when i first read your post regarding no name nutrition i had a scratch my head moment so I ignored your post altogether. I didn't know if you were being facetious (or poking fun at a midwest transplant) or if no name nutrition was the actual name of a vitamin store. Well this weekend I was feeling adventurous and decided to google No Name Nutrition and to my surprise it's the actual name of a vitamin/supplement store but you already knew that. I ventured out to the one off of 144th (I think) and couldn't be happier. Oh yeah on the way there, I also found a Vitamin Shoppe so I am no longer tied to GNC.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM

109 posts, read 293,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuda View Post
I moved here in 2005 right out of highschool so my story for being here is a lot different than yours.. but honestly, I really believe that I chose one of the easiest places to come to as far as getting by.

Weather.. don't get too comfortable with the mild weather. When I first moved here it was (or at least seemed to be) waaaay worse. We've had like three winters in a row that have been super mild and pretty much nothing (and this is coming from someone who moved here from northern coastal California) but I'm waiting for it to just get super gnarly. Omaha has the potential for it so it's not completely crazy to think it'll happen.

No Name Nutrition is awesome and I highly recommend it, as another poster did.

also, the right on red thing? You can do that as long as the other side of the street isn't left turning anymore, they put the 'no turn' sign on when the other side has a green light to make a left, but after that you dont need to wait for the green arrow to turn right. also, if you haven't learned/found out by now, NO LEFT TURNING ON DODGE. In the seven years i've lived here I've never actually gotten a fully straight answer, but the general consensus is that you can't turn left off dodge ANYWHERE; sign or not. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that streets that don't have a specific sign saying no left turn (they're about every other block but not on every single street) you can do it but, honestly, i just wouldn't try. you'll most likely get t-boned or at least honked at by 10 other drivers.

I'm surprised you like Texas Road House more than Anthonys. Anthonys has been here foreverrrrrrrrrrrr but Texas Road House is actually pretty new, I think it was built maybe two years ago? But seriously drive past Anthonys on a Saturday night.. that place is paaaaaaaacked. but I guess I have heard TRH is pretty good.. We used to have Lone Star Steakhouse but I'm almost positive they went out of business cause they couldn't compete with TRH.

The Omaha spread.. in miles no it's not gigantic, but it also used to be a LOT smaller. It was a big deal a couple of years ago when Omaha spread to the city of Elkhorn and wanted to annex it. The people of that city were NOT happy about it at all and fought tooth and nail against it but they were eventually annexed. now, at least according to wikipedia, elkhorn is considered a 'neighbourhood' in Omaha.

Honestly Omaha is not a bad place at all. it's got a few cons, obviously, but in general.. pretty good. i've lived here seven years and while I don't plan on living here forever (I can't be this far away from an ocean my entire life!) I wouldn't talk someone out of moving here. and so I wish you many many happy years here

I ventured out to No Name Nutrition this past weekend and couldnt be happier.

I am surprised too that Texas Road House is so good...not that it was ever bad. I consider TRH and Lone Star one in the same as both are adequate for a Friday night steak. Lone Star is still prevalent on the east coast.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM

I worked at Lone Star as a dishwasher.. they used to be located at Oakview mall but then moved out to 175th and Center and got NO business and eventually completely closed.

I'm highly amused at your No Name Nutrition story.. it totally does sound like a made up name, and I actually remember laughing about it when someone first mentioned it to me, I was like, 'is it seriously called that?!'

To be honest, I'm a vegetarian so basically talking out my ass about steaks and such, but my boyfriend is a hardcore meat eater and he just loves Anthony's to death. He ate at Lone Star once when i worked there and said it was 'meh' (he's lucky i wasn't a cook hahaha).

If you like sushi and such, Sakura Bana, the place right next to TRH is reeeeeeeally good too, IMO. Yummy Japanese food for sure.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 PM

624 posts, read 1,158,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuda View Post
I've answered this question here before, not sure if it was you who asked though. And I am sure about this. You cannot, whatsoever, turn left onto a cross street from Dodge. However you are permitted to turn left into a business. Hope this helps you.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 PM

It probably was me who asked, as I think I do remember making a post about it a couple years ago haha.

I appreciate the response but I have to ask.. has that ever been confirmed by someone in law enforcement? I dont know, that just sounds so ambiguous.

My other thing about that is back in 06, my BFF at the time was the manager of Mojo's Coffehouse (now a CVS) and they barely got any business cause people couldn't turn left into it. Seems weird that it's such a divided issue, I mean we're talkin' the law here but I seriously think you could walk up to anyone on the street and ask if turning left for a business is legal and it would be 50/50 on the response.

Honestly I just think it doesn't make sense. Unless it's super late or super early you don't really have the option anyway cause there's so much traffic. I live RIGHT on Dodge St and have this decision every night, as I work evenings, and there are very few opportunities for me to turn into my house, even at 11 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:35 AM

Yeah, I actually know someone in the force and it's clear for him. No left turns except into a business or residence. But that's not to say you won't become a social outcast for turning left on Dodge often
I think the idea is people would be turning left all the time if it were allowed on cross streets and that would clog up the middle lane big time. But you don't want to prevent people from going to businesses. Since people turn into businesses on Dodge less often then they would turn left onto a cross street, it's not as big of a deal. It's just not a particularly safe thing to do since almost nobody is anticipating people turning left on Dodge.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,062,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
Truthfully, when i first read your post regarding no name nutrition i had a scratch my head moment so I ignored your post altogether. I didn't know if you were being facetious (or poking fun at a midwest transplant) or if no name nutrition was the actual name of a vitamin store. Well this weekend I was feeling adventurous and decided to google No Name Nutrition and to my surprise it's the actual name of a vitamin/supplement store but you already knew that. I ventured out to the one off of 144th (I think) and couldn't be happier. Oh yeah on the way there, I also found a Vitamin Shoppe so I am no longer tied to GNC.
Hahaha! I forgive you for initially ignoring my advice )

Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 PM

9 posts, read 10,351 times
Glad you are enjoying your stay in Omaha. I moved here with my family when we were still in gradeschool.
I have moved many times for business, but I always end up back in Omaha. Whatever you are looking
for,like Vitamins,Omaha has both the local and national stores for it.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:24 PM

Janes Health Market in Benson has some hard to find herbal supplements if you ever need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or