Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM

704 posts, read 1,872,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busguy2010 View Post
Janes Health Market in Benson has some hard to find herbal supplements if you ever need.
Yes, and it's owned by good people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 PM

109 posts, read 322,101 times
It has been nearly 6 months since I started this thread so I decided to provide an update on how things are going. Needless to say, I LOVE Papillion and the Omaha area in general. I still chuckle at the thought of having chose Omaha over so many other job offers in sexier locations. So far, no regrets.

I will update in the same order as my original post. If you have yet to read it, this will probably make little sense.

1. I still think my neighbors are from another planet! Their warm welcome wasn't just a front for the new couple moving in but an ongoing extension of hospitality.

2. Folks driving under the speed limit is still annoying but I'd rather take under than over any day.

3. I still run into a fair share of people who can't leave Omaha fast enough.

4. Either the tap water in Papillion has improved OR over the last 5 months, my taste buds have lowered their standards. Either way, the water isn't bad at all and it seems the change improved around Feb/March.

5. LemiShine (walmart) solved all of my hard water problems in the dishwater.

6. Thanks to the folks on CD, I have a plethora of choices for vitamins and supplements.

7. Throw Mahagony's in the mix and I am still leaning towards Texas Roadhouse as the best steak so far.

8. I am drinking a Mt. Dew as I type!!! Nuff said!

9. I have survived at least 4 heavy snow storms and a handful of icy mornings without incident. Oh remember the neighbors from another planet? They have been generous enough to snow blow my driveway on several occasions.

10. Big Boy in the Morning & 105.9 are my favs

11. Hy-Vee has started to annoy me.....still can't put my finger on it!

12. Same

13. Still looking but none to be found.

14. Omaha still doesn't seem as spread out as other places I've lived.

15. Still don't understand but as the saying goes, When in Rome........

16. Can't get enough of em!!

17. Still boggles my mind whenever I'm driving through a "residential" community filled with numbered streets.

18. Instead of improving, the situation has only gotten worse. My website is still active and speaks for itself
www dot avoidmovingwithnancy dot com or www dot a1propertymismanagement dot com This ordeal with A-1 Property Management has been my only nightmare since moving to the area.

19. There's enough of everyone for everybody. Again, I'm here - Nuff said!

20. New to the List - Cost of Living and Housing Market!!!! Gotta Love it!!!!!!!!

Gripes!!

1. What is up with these dang birds? I am used to birds chirping/tweeting starting early morning and into the late afternoon, but nonexistent during the evening/night hours. Not here! These midwest thugs for birds chirp/tweet around the clock!! Many dark nights I've arrived home only to find birds hanging out with their chirp/tweet posse. Countless mornings I've been awaken around 3ish 4ish due to what seems like birds chirping directly outside my bedroom window.

2. Streets with barely or nonexistent road lines which are especially critical during inclement weather. I have not had any accidents but a few close calls.

3. Supermarket bought meats taste different here compared to other places I lived. I cannot put my finger on it but ground beef, poultry, and even pork doesn't taste the same. I've given up trying to figure out why but something is off in a major way.

4. Fruits & Vegetables - The counter or refrigerator life of most fruits and vegetables seems to be drastically reduced here in the midwest. Most fruits and vegetable go bad shortly after purchase, especially tomatoes.

5. It still doesn't make sense to me to have two 89 octane nozzles (assuming coming from the same source) and a 93. When I first arrived I had to ask the gas attendant if there was a difference between the two. Answer....no!

6. Sitting around a raging fire in the driveway is a new phenomenon to me. At first I thought folks were bbq'ing in the driveway....strange I thought and chalked it up to midwest living. Boy did I feel dumb when I realized it was a fire pit of sorts. One evening I was invited to join and I must say........not bad!

Old 05-23-2013, 05:20 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
re: fruits and veggies: One thing you have to realize, most of those fruits and veggies are shipped in from halfway across the US, so yeah, they will spoil faster. If you want longer lasting, hit up the farmers markets that are due to start soon

Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
re: the meats: read up on factory farming and you'll discover why the meats here taste off.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
re: fruits and veggies: One thing you have to realize, most of those fruits and veggies are shipped in from halfway across the US, so yeah, they will spoil faster. If you want longer lasting, hit up the farmers markets that are due to start soon
Excuse my ignorance but I wrongly assumed with all the farm land and open spaces there would be a plethora of locally grown fruits and veggies. Come on farmers market!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
re: the meats: read up on factory farming and you'll discover why the meats here taste off.
I will read up on it but admittedly I'm scared to!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:34 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,556,449 times
Definitely check out the farmers markets. Another good option is Bountiful Baskets. There is a site in Papillion. I use it up here in SD and have been happy with the quality of the produce and the price. Oh, you might want to try using a vinegar wash on your produce. It can help it last longer.

Whenever I go back for a visit I always go to Hy-Vee. I miss that place! LOL

Glad you are happy in Papillion.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:49 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
Excuse my ignorance but I wrongly assumed with all the farm land and open spaces there would be a plethora of locally grown fruits and veggies. Come on farmers market!
Unfortunately its not always the case, really anywhere in the nation. You always hear about florida oranges right? Well here in florida what do we always carry in the store? CALIFORNIA oranges. Same for strawberries, a majority of our strawberries are from california, so they spoil after a few days. Stores get their produce whereever its the cheapest.

If you want good quality, farmers market or bountiful baskets are your best option

Old 05-26-2013, 09:23 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,552 times
The greens I got from the farmer's market yesterday have already gone bad (in less than 1 day). Most of the farmer's market stands are just reselling grocery store produce. There's no vetting process to become a vendor there, you just pay your fee and set up a stand. Anybody can do it. It doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:46 PM

#7 SOLVED!!!! I finally experienced a melt in my mouth, cut like butter steak at Bros Sebastian!! Ridiculously good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha