U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2013, 05:06 PM
 
920 posts, read 1,724,109 times
Reputation: 864

Advertisements

Posted speed limits were not meant to be taken as a suggestion. Just sayin' !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
 
109 posts, read 280,432 times
Reputation: 85
As a ten week Omaha transplant, I would have to disagree with the OP as I find most people in the area tend to drive below the speed limit which is annoying to say the least. For instance the posted speed limit on Hwy 370 is 55 mph but i RARELY see anyone maintaining the speed limit. It seems the unspoken consensus is subtract 10 from the posted speed limit and you're good to go. Often times I have to look down to be certain I'm not speeding because it seems I am zooming past everyone. I've gotten use to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM
 
816 posts, read 1,414,345 times
Reputation: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by south_east2west View Post
I find most people in the area tend to drive below the speed limit which is annoying to say the least
That really is what one should do. Speed limits are already too high for a city. It's just insane to have a residential street with a speed limit of 30. While higher speed limits may be more convinent for drivers they are deadly for cyclists, pedestrians and other drivers in the event of an accident. Convenience should never trup safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2013, 03:32 PM
 
1,911 posts, read 3,232,642 times
Reputation: 910
Not sure why this is even discussed. Contrary to what this forum thinks - 680 is not the autobahn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2013, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
When we moved there a few years ago (we moved out of NE in Sept.), I noticed the same thing. People driving over the speed limit, honking at me or tailing me because I was going the speed limit (Sorry, can't afford a ticket, lol), never failed if a light turned red, there would still be several cars turning through it. Angry people honking, etc.- I'm from CA, and for all people talk about road rage there, I never saw such road rage as I did in Omaha.
We have noticed that the speed of the cars goes up on I-80 goes up as you get closer to Omaha (coming from the west). The running red lights thing seems to be a midwestern thing. When I lived in Champaign, IL I noticed it when I first moved there, and it happens in Denver (not really the midwest, but sort of) a lot. Basically all the time, but if you say that here on CD, someone will jump your case about saying "all" the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberaptor View Post
People who drive the speed limit tick me off, but its not to the point of having to tailgate them. I usually tailgate someone if they drive 5+ miles below the speed limit.

Haven't had to do that this month. Last month an old lady was driving 35 mph on a 45mph road. Tried honking and tailgating and she only increased her speed a little (still well below 40mph..). Finally got to a traffic light, pulled over to her side and flipped her off
I hope that wasn't my sister-in-law! Well, she's not *that* old, but if you're 20, you might think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 AM
 
18 posts, read 28,591 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The running red lights thing seems to be a midwestern thing.
Definitely not true. I lived in southern CA for 7 years and you'd think by watching other drivers that running red lights was the 'in' thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 01:53 PM
 
2,763 posts, read 4,668,809 times
Reputation: 2764
There are no red lights in Tampa, if you ask most of the drivers. Its green or get the hell out of my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,883 posts, read 102,281,764 times
Reputation: 32946
Quote:
Originally Posted by wollymon View Post
Definitely not true. I lived in southern CA for 7 years and you'd think by watching other drivers that running red lights was the 'in' thing to do.
Well, OK. It's not so common in the northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 06:19 AM
 
920 posts, read 1,724,109 times
Reputation: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, OK. It's not so common in the northeast.
---It wasn't common for me in CA to run any red lights, or not to make a full and complete stop before going- reason for that, is because there was usually an officer behind every bush, and they could sense if you were going to make a "California Stop", and you would be pulled over and given a hefty ticket if you dared to do so, lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:00 AM
 
Location: Middleburg
906 posts, read 1,533,157 times
Reputation: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
---It wasn't common for me in CA to run any red lights, or not to make a full and complete stop before going- reason for that, is because there was usually an officer behind every bush, and they could sense if you were going to make a "California Stop", and you would be pulled over and given a hefty ticket if you dared to do so, lol!
Indeed. The amount of wreckless driving in an area is almost always inversely proportional to the level of enforcement you see from the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top