U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 12:34 AM

18 posts, read 55,663 times

Advertisements

OK, I may be moving there within the next week or so and I need to know the straight and cut answer. I know every place has a "unsafe" area , but when I say ghetto, I mean killings, shootings, robberies ect. You know the type of place that you wouldn't raise kids in or be there after dark. PLease tell me the truth and not sugar coat this issue. This is my life and livelihood! I don't want to be mislead, spend money on gas,rent etc and find out that some older people didn't just want to be honest..("well we don't have a ghetto, not compared to XYZ")

This happens a lot on these forums where people will even sugar coat Chicago,Kansas City, St. Loius and we all know that these places are far from safe.. So please spare me the bs. I have heard that the North Side of Omaha is ghetto. So I'm wondering if the south side is the same..I hate to be so direct,but if I don't I won't get the answers that I want. Let's be honest here. Thanks for reading and replying.. Your words really matter to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 12:56 AM

125 posts, read 120,342 times
wouldn't call it ghetto. occasional crime problem, yeah, but i doubt south o gets in 5 years what the other places you mention get in one. and bear in mind this is a suburban white boy talking, and i've NEVER felt even remotely nervous in the area. that being said, if you don't speak fairly decent spanish, you might want to consider a different area. i've been to multiple restaurants in the area, and the only thing that enabled me to order is my hispanic best friend (completely legal before anybody jumps to conclusions...). so I'd say a relatively safe area, but I, for one, won't judge you if you feel a majority hispanic area, however safe, isn't what you're looking for

Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 AM

624 posts, read 1,104,196 times
I'd say it's all perspectice. If you live in picture perfect suburb then yeah, it's ghetto. Just saying from what I hear in the news, yeah there's occasional homicide/shooting. Nothing rampant by any means. It has a hispanic population, don't know if that's in you parameters. For what it's worth, the thing I personally would feel most uncomfotable with is the cultural. But that's just me; I didn't grow up with much cultural exposure.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:22 AM

18 posts, read 55,663 times
ok what about "S. 22nd St" i'm looking for an apartment in that area. I'm ok with other cultures. Is S 22nd St(on "N" st.) a bad area specifically?what areas or streets should I be careful of? sorry for so many questions, I just want to be careful. and Thanks for your replies!

Last edited by silverwolf67; 02-11-2013 at 03:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM

229 posts, read 417,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf67 View Post
OK, I may be moving there within the next week or so and I need to know the straight and cut answer. I know every place has a "unsafe" area , but when I say ghetto, I mean killings, shootings, robberies ect. You know the type of place that you wouldn't raise kids in or be there after dark. PLease tell me the truth and not sugar coat this issue. This is my life and livelihood! I don't want to be mislead, spend money on gas,rent etc and find out that some older people didn't just want to be honest..("well we don't have a ghetto, not compared to XYZ")

This happens a lot on these forums where people will even sugar coat Chicago,Kansas City, St. Loius and we all know that these places are far from safe.. So please spare me the bs. I have heard that the North Side of Omaha is ghetto. So I'm wondering if the south side is the same..I hate to be so direct,but if I don't I won't get the answers that I want. Let's be honest here. Thanks for reading and replying.. Your words really matter to me!
Last time I checked cities like Chicago have nice sections that are safe. Some people think that anything that is not a suburb is "dangerous".

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM

704 posts, read 1,616,884 times
If you are comfortable living in a majortiy Hispanic area with many people who speak English as a second language or perhaps not at all then you will be just fine. However if you feel that, "el barrio" is not for you... then you'll want to look elsewhere.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:51 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,692,933 times
Personally, I wouldnt live there, but that's just me. I would not feel safe there.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:01 PM

177 posts, read 375,491 times
22nd and N would put you just a couple of blocks from the heart of the Hispanic business district in South Omaha. That district is kind of interesting with neat/cute little store fronts, and it seems like a lot of the store owners take great pride in their businesses. There is a particular Mexican restaurant in that area I like to visit when in town, although I cannot remember the name. They have, by far, some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten. However, I have not traveled through the immediate residential neighborhoods that surround this section.

As a non-Omaha resident, I am certainly not the best resource for evaluating the safety of the area, but I thought my perspective might be helpful, especially as someone coming from a boring, safe outer suburb of a large city. Plus, I've been reading the major newspaper web page and other Omaha news websites on a daily basis for at least four years. With this, I would personally evaluate South Omaha as much safer than certain sections of North Omaha, but I would not consider it as safe as the western suburbs or the sections of the metro in Sarpy county. Everyone has a different perspective on what makes an area safe for them, so I will try to give some more specifics that may clarify things for you.

Outside of petty crime, the majority of the violent crimes that appear to happen in South Omaha occur between people who know each other....maybe someone with a vendetta or an assault that takes place in a club or dining establishment during late night hours when people have probably had too much to drink. There are also the occasional domestic violent crimes. Very rarely does something seem to happen at random to an innocent person by someone they do not know. The only potential example I can recall was the murder last year of an older guy who pushed an ice cream cart through the Hispanic district. I do not remember if suspects were ever identified for this crime. Other than that example, I haven't heard anything about carjackings, random break-ins where someone is assaulted/attacked, or similar crimes. Therefore, I would think, as long as you don't hang out with "bad" people, you should be okay.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:06 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,760,997 times
Why specifically that area? Will you be working close by? Are you moving with children? I wouldn't choose that area if I had more choices. Where do you live now?

Looking at the CrimeMapping site for Omaha. That area around the location you mentioned had a few instances of property crimes in the last week. Thats about it. You can also change the dates so you can see a months worth of crimes in the city. If you have kids or moving with a girl friend or wife, I would also look at the registered sexual offender website, I added it below. I believe the zip code for the 22nd and N area is 68107. There look to be 65 pervs in that zip code area.

You might want to read at least part of a study done regarding gangs in Omaha. They do mention south Omaha gangs. That section starts on page 40. Its an interesting study.

CrimeMapping.com - National Map

https://sor.nebraska.gov/Registry/Se...rchType=Region

Omaha Apartments for Rent - Omaha Apartments Reviews and Ratings

http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Omaha-Nebraska.html

http://s3.documentcloud.org/document...gangreport.pdf

Another article reference gangs in Nebraska.
Gang Fight Nebraska | netnebraska.org

Old 02-11-2013, 07:54 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,286,804 times
It is pretty safe - low income, high hispanic population but not in any way scary. There are gangs, but I wouldn't put them in the same catagory of the North Omaha gangs - especially where shootings are concerned.
I've never felt afraid or out of place when I'm down there. Years ago I lived a few blocks South of where you are looking at and the only complaint I had was the frequency my car would get broken into. After awhile I just left the car unlocked. But only once did they try to steal it. Again - that was over 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or