U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM

20 posts, read 30,625 times

Advertisements

My son and his girlfriend are in need of a house or apartment to rent that will allow their 2 dogs. One is a lab/huskie mix 8 mos old.. the other is a 4 year old pitbull. Does anyone know of any places that would rent to them? They are really getting discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,743,398 times
Yes, that can be difficult, especially with more than one. It's nice to see devoted pet lovers that consider their pets family. Though its very wrong, Staffordshire Terriers (AKA Pitbulls) get a bad rap in Omaha as well as most places. I would call the dog by his breed name or label him a mix and mention the weight when inquiring. I had a Pit as well as several Pit mixes over the years, they are sweet dogs, like any breed it depends how they are raised and if they have been inbred.

This place shows apartments in the area that take pets, it doesn't look like they will all say their pet policy, but you can inquire online. What area of town would you prefer? I can ask my realtor if she may know of any rentals that allow pets. It's worth a try and I don't mind asking. Let me know. What price range do they have in mind? A house would certainly be better if you could find one.

I wonder if they have checked in the smaller towns just out of the metro? Like Blair or for example. I found an owner financing fixer upper in Missouri Valley, 750 down and monthly 458. I don't know if your son is a handy type or if that might be too far away or not work at all. But I was just looking around in the Washington County, Blair NE newspaper. Google maps are from 08, it doesn't even show a house there, if they are right about addresses. Neighborhood looked ok though. Good luck to them.

Omaha Apartments for Rent with Pets Allowed - Find Apartments in Omaha, NE
MISSOURI VALLEY- 587 N - Washington County Enterprise and Pilot Tribune: Sale

Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM

6,125 posts, read 6,422,084 times
I doubt you will find any apartments that will allow a pit bull or even a husky mix. A better bet is to look for private rentals. Sometimes people are more willing to be open minded if they can meet the dogs. Are the dogs trained? Canine Good Citizens? Does your son have liability insurance? It would probably help if he could show proof of those things.

I found several apartments that allowed my German shepherd mix, I just didn't advertise her mix. She was also part beagle so I had the vet change her paperwork from shepherd mix to beagle mix.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM

147 posts, read 214,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpot View Post
My son and his girlfriend are in need of a house or apartment to rent that will allow their 2 dogs. One is a lab/huskie mix 8 mos old.. the other is a 4 year old pitbull. Does anyone know of any places that would rent to them? They are really getting discouraged.
The lovebirds need to get rid of their dam dogs. No landlord in his right mind will rent to people with 2 big dogs - especially a pitbull. I know for a fact that MOST homeowners insurance companies will not even underwrite a house where there are big dogs.

Sonny needs to be responsible and do the right hing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or