U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,474,960 times

Advertisements

Thirty-nine candidates have filed for the nine seats on the Omaha Public Schools board.

The election is on the same schedule as the city elections — an April 2 primary and a May 14 general election.

Candidate Information

Here are the candidates:

» SUBDISTRICT 1: Five people filed:

James English, a retired Omaha Public Schools teacher and administrator who lost in November;

Yolanda Williams, elementary school program coordinator for the nonprofit Partnership 4 Kids;

Aja Anderson, a community health educator for the Douglas County Health Department and Omaha Central High School graduate

LeDonna White York (also a Omaha Central High School graduate) and Larry Taylor (a Omaha North High graduate)

Incumbent Nicole Walker-Nash did not file, after being elected to the board for the first time in November, running unopposed.

» SUBDISTRICT 2:

Niokia Stewart (a Omaha Bryan High graduate)

and Marque Snow

and Morghan Price (a Omaha North High School graduate) filed.

Stewart and Snow could not be reached for comment.

Price is a Metropolitan Community College full-time student and volunteer executive director of the anti-violence group Enough is Enough.

Incumbent Shirley Tyree did not file.

» SUBDISTRICT 3: Incumbents Marian Fey and Bambi Bartek filed.

They face three challengers:

Bill Hoff, a retired salesman;

Woody Bradford, an Omaha attorney and Omaha Benson High grad.

and Michael Warner a Omaha Northwest High grad and who is disabled and not currently working but is running to make sure special-needs students have a voice on the board.

» SUBDISTRICT 4: Incumbent and Omaha Northwest High graduate Justin Wayne is running again.

his competition:

Eric Ewing, a fellow Omaha Northwest High grad and the younger brother of Douglas County Treasurer John Ewing, also has filed,

along with Jill Brown, an assistant professor of psychology at Creighton University.

» SUBDISTRICT 5: Incumbent and Omaha Burke High graduate Jennifer Tompkins Kirshenbaum

has five challengers:

Scott Zimmerman, administrator for a private early childhood education facility and Omaha Westside High School graduate

Angel Martin, a freelance writer;

Lou Ann Goding, a Westside Church of Omaha member who works part time preparing financial statements for companies;

Nikki Diamantis, owner of Platinum Builders, a custom home building company;

and Jeff Miller, a Creighton Prep graduate and owner and president of SpeedBinder, a manufacturer of custom loose-leaf binders.

Tompkins Kirshenbaum defeated former Omaha State Sen. Patrick Bourne and three other candidates in her first run last year.

» SUBDISTRICT 6: Incumbent and Omaha South High School graduate Nancy Kratky has three challengers:

Barbara Daughton, a retired OPS administrator and teacher;

Joseph Misiunas, a media consultant for Yellow Book and Omaha South High School graduate

and Matt Scanlan, a 1992 Omaha Central High grad

and project manager for Woerner Wire Works, a north Omaha business that fabricates steel for highway projects in Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas and South Dakota.

» SUBDISTRICT 7: Omaha Central High grad Danyelle Baratta

faces Andy Allen a computer technician for the Army Corps of Engineers,

and Katie Underwood, project manager with Olsson Associates & Lincoln East graduate.

Baratta defeated Allen in November.

» SUBDISTRICT 8: Lacey Merica, an insurance claims adjuster and Omaha Bryan High grad

Eugene Hoffmann, Air Force retiree

William Forsee, a retired high school teacher and former member of the Metro Community College board;

Mark Walenz, who could not be reached for comment;

Meg Cordes, associate nurse manager at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and Gross High School grad.

and Juliana Garza, a youth attendance navigator for the Latino Center of the Midlands.

Incumbent Barbara Velázquez did not file.

» SUBDISTRICT 9: Incumbent Sarah Brumfield filed,

along with Brian Villafuerte, a Bellevue Public Schools substitute teacher and Omaha South High grad

Rebecca Barrientos-Patlan, a volunteer community advocate and Omaha South High grad

and William Gaughan who is Board Member of the Omaha Cable TV Advisory Committee

Incumbent Mary Morrissey did not file

OPS board race most crowded since ’78 - Omaha.com

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-02-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 01:58 PM

running for city council and mayor btw are and this isnt a endorsement of anyone listed, just listing the candidates.

Omaha City Council - District 1

Pete Festersen
Ed Truemper

Omaha City Council - District 2

Ben Gray
Timothy Ashford
Bruce Hunter
Tariq Al-Amin
Dennis J Womack

Omaha City Council - District 3 -
Chris Jerram
JR Jasso

Omaha City Council - District 4 -

Garry Gernandt
Virgil J. Patlan Sr.
Jacob Perasso

Omaha City Council - District 5
Rich Pahls
Jeff Moore

Omaha City Council - District 6

Franklin T Thompson
Phil Klein

Omaha City Council - District 7
Tim Lonergan
Thomas Mulligan
Aimee S Melton

Cameron Gales
Don Kroupa

Mayoral Candidates:
Mort Sullivan
Jim Suttle

Maura DeLuca
Jean Stothert

Dave Nabity
Brad Ashford
Dan Welch

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-02-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 06:00 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,151,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Mayoral Candidates:
Maura DeLuca
Maura DeLuca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same one??

Old 03-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
yep it is same one. I think she lives or lived in Lincoln for a while also and also ran for VP last year from what I read

btw, the anger towards suttle and Ben Gray aka the "owes almost 50,000 to the IRS" guy on the city council is so bad,

I wouldnt be surprised if DeLuca gets more votes than Suttle

and the anger towards Gernandt and Thompson and Festersen

and Mulligan (who has 4 people running against him)

is huge, so I wouldnt be surprised if we see 7 new board members in May.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
yep it is same one. I think she lives or lived in Lincoln for a while also and also ran for VP last year from what I read
Interesting.

Quote:
btw, the anger towards suttle and Ben Gray aka the "owes almost 50,000 to the IRS" guy on the city council is so bad,

I want to go on record as saying this will absolutely, positively, NOT happen. In fact, I want to go on record as saying it will come down to Suttle and Stothert, and Suttle getting a fairly easy win.

Quote:
and the anger towards Gernandt and Thompson and Festersen

and Mulligan (who has 4 people running against him)
I think you're mistaking the anger of yourself and possibly your friends/family for widespread anger. From everything I've gathered, Gernandt, Festersen and Thompson remain reasonably popular within their respective districts. Mulligan might be a little vulnerable though.

Quote:
is huge, so I wouldnt be surprised if we see 7 new board members in May.
I would.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,816,489 times
Quote:
The anger in this city against Suttle is led by a fairly small vocal group. There are a lot of people in the city that have appreciated his leadership through one of the toughest eras in recent history. He isn't a perfect mayor, but none of these people would be.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Interesting.

I want to go on record as saying this will absolutely, positively, NOT happen. In fact, I want to go on record as saying it will come down to Suttle and Stothert, and Suttle getting a fairly easy win.

I think you're mistaking the anger of yourself and possibly your friends/family for widespread anger. From everything I've gathered, Gernandt, Festersen and Thompson remain reasonably popular within their respective districts. Mulligan might be a little vulnerable though.

I would.
Festersen for sure isnt very popular as some would think. a lot of people in his district are angry with him

Suttle wont make it past to the primaries.

Ashford and Nabity and Welch and Stothert are doing better in the polls than Suttle

Last edited by billiefan2000; 03-05-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Interesting.

I would.
Mulligan wont IMO make it past the primaries either.

Marian Fey I think will be vulnerable on the school board.

she has been a brown-noser since day 1 (and many of those who supported her in 2010 are supporting her opponents)

Old 03-05-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Festersen for sure isnt very popular as some would think. a lot of people in his district are angry with him
That's not my understanding, but then again I'm not up there anymore so I can only gather so much info.

Just curious, but why, specifically, are people angry with him?

Quote:
Suttle wont make it past to the primaries.
I'll go on record right now as saying that if this indeed happens, I will buy you dinner (via gift card) at Johnny's or Venice Inn (or possibly another venue if you're so inclined).

I'm pretty confident that Suttle will survive the primaries. An incumbent mayor who survived a recall where just about everyone knew he would have been pitted against one of his current challengers (Nabity or Stothert) is not usually a high risk to lose his seat in the primaries.

Quote:
Ashford and Nabity and Welch and Stothert are doing better in the polls than Suttle
Are you sure? I haven't seen them myself, but I know I saw a Facebook discussion recently where one of my Omaha friends (who is usually pretty credible) said that the polls were showing Suttle with a comfortable lead and Stothert coming in second.

Quote:
Mulligan wont IMO make it past the primaries either.
I think he is the most vulnerable, but I think he will make it simply because of the incumbent effect.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Festersen 's over-saturation of bars

but stone walling any Grocery Stores or Dollar Stores or CVS stores going into Benson area

why is the CVS not been built at 72nd and Maple

and why is Louis Market still empty in Benson area? (cause Festersen believes it is okay to have 15-20 bars in Benson,

but a grocery store like Fareway would be "over-saturating" the area with 1 grocery store in downtown benson

at least they got WALGREENS.

and a good chunk of the anger towards Festering Festerson (as some call him cause of his behavior) is on the Democrat side, who feels he has become nothing more than a frat boy and a ego-maniac on the city council.

I know people who are hard-core democrats (I am a Independent btw) who feel Festersen has failed at job growth and has only been interested in approving liquor licenses.

Suttle only survived the recall cause he had the Leftist Omaha World Herald schilling for him and trashing his critics.

to be honest, I dont see Nabity either making it past the primaries.

Welch or Ashford I would bet will be mayor the next 4 years.

Stothert could also be our next mayor. Lot of people didnt think Deb Fischer would be a US Senator but she won despite the nay-sayers.

Mulligan hasnt done anything on the city council and Tim Lonergan and Aimee S Melton have been making a name for themselves.

the only city councilman likely to get re-elected is Jerram IMO.

Ben Gray we for sure know wont win (or likely make it past the primary)

cause of the baggage he and his owes almost 50 Grand to the IRS wife (and ex-OPS board member) Freddie Gray

have.

Timothy Ashford or Bruce Hunter I predict will be the city councilman from 2013-2017 for District 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or