U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 03:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,817,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Nebraska is probably under-looked for filmmaking because the natural conditions aren't right for it. The lighting is really harsh (you always want soft lighting for movies) and the winds are strong and unpredictable (actresses don't want their hair messed up). I don't see anybody of any significance wanting to make movies here.
We have really unfavorable incentives for movie making. That is probably the biggest reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Has there ever been a good movie made in Nebraska? About Schmidt and Up in the Air were the most depressing movies in the history of cinema.
Lovely, Still was filmed in Omaha. The director is from Omaha and it actually had a pretty good cast for an independent movie. Alexander Payne's new move titled "Nebraska" has been shooting in a few small Nebraska towns recently too.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:42 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,478,147 times
Quote:
Nebraska is probably under-looked for filmmaking because the natural conditions aren't right for it. The lighting is really harsh (you always want soft lighting for movies) and the winds are strong and unpredictable (actresses don't want their hair messed up). I don't see anybody of any significance wanting to make movies here.
that maybe true, but we should support local films being made here. Omaha could be a Indie film place

Old 05-07-2013, 03:43 PM

3,096 posts, read 6,478,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
We have really unfavorable incentives for movie making. That is probably the biggest reason.
I agree iamjacobm

Old 05-08-2013, 09:21 AM

281 posts, read 712,212 times
I understand that filming is about to start here in Omaha on "It Snows All The Time" a movie about how Alzheimer's affects the live of an Omaha family.

It Snows All the Time (2013) - IMDb

Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 AM

35 posts, read 50,721 times
I was just looking up something on Youtube and stumbled across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_(film)

It's a movie by the same director of About Schmidt and Election, Alexander Payne. Guess he likes Nebraska?

It's supposed to come out this month, I believe.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Alexander Payne grew up in Omaha. It comes out at festivals this summer, wont be in most cities until November.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:59 AM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
Quote:
Has there ever been a good movie made in Nebraska? About Schmidt and Up in the Air were the most depressing movies in the history of cinema.
I'm genuinely curious, but do you post up some of the most ridiculous **** you can think of trying to get a reaction out of people, or are you really just that...off?

From Wiki...

Quote:
About Schmidt has gained positive reviews from critics, who have singled out the two performances of Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates. The film has a rating of 85% on Rotten Tomatoes with the consensus being that "In this funny, touching character study, Nicholson gives one of the best performances of his career".[2] Roger Ebert wrote for the Chicago Sun-Times that About Schmidt "is essentially a portrait of a man without qualities, baffled by the emotions and needs of others. That Jack Nicholson makes this man so watchable is a tribute not only to his craft, but to his legend: Jack is so unlike Schmidt that his performance generates a certain awe. Another actor might have made the character too tragic or passive or empty, but Nicholson somehow finds within Schmidt a slowing developing hunger, a desire to start living now that the time is almost gone."[3] Michael Rechtshaffen of the Hollywood Reporter said that "It's a commanding Jack Nicholson lead performance that puts it into a sublime league of its own." Paul Clinton writing for CNN.com said that "About Schmidt is undoubtedly one of the finest films of the year. If you're not deeply touched by this movie, check your pulse."
Quote:
(Up in the Air) received critical acclaim from film critics.[125] Review aggregate Rotten Tomatoes reports that 91% of critics have given the film a positive review based on 241 reviews, with a rating average of 8.1 out of 10. The critical consensus is: "Led by charismatic performances by its three leads, director Jason Reitman delivers a smart blend of humor and emotion with just enough edge for mainstream audiences."[124] Metacritic, which assigns a weighted mean rating out of 100 to reviews from film critics, has a rating score of 83 based on 36 reviews.[126] The sneak preview of Up in the Air was the highest profile hit during the Telluride film festival.[127] The film also tied for third place in the Toronto International Film Festival indieWire poll.[128]

Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 AM

13,943 posts, read 19,169,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Election
Definitely a good one. Even had a pretty prominent scene at Power Park, where I played youth football.

April Showers was also pretty good for an indie film.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:30 AM

906 posts, read 1,538,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I'm genuinely curious, but do you post up some of the most ridiculous **** you can think of trying to get a reaction out of people, or are you really just that...off?
"A sane person to an insane society must appear insane." -Kurt Vonnegut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or