U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 PM

7 posts, read 14,916 times

Advertisements

It's official. I have been accepted to the University of Nebraska Omaha graduate school. I will be moving to Omaha at the end of the summer. Please help with the following questions and give any advice that might be helpful.

A bit of background. I am not from nor have I have been to Nebraska. My wife and I will be moving from Peru with our 4-year-old son. I am from the US, my wife from Peru, and my son, well, he has been all over the place. Language is not a problem, as we all speak three or more languages.

We will be starting from scratch and making Omaha our permanent home. We would like to rent for the first two years to build some credit. We will be buying one car for my wife to use. I would like to be within walking distance (running or biking distance is fine) to the university. We are looking at the midtown area. My wife is in banking and insurance and should be able to find a job with one of the larger companies in the area.

Can you tell me what Daisy Terrace townhomes are likes? The address given is 1110 S. 30th Avenue. Will on-street parking be a problem? Can I expect that our car will get broken into? What about snow removal. How does this affect on-street parking? We are looking at finding a 2 bedroom apartment/townhome/house in this area that is pet friendly (can't leave our English Bulldog behind).

Will we have problems walking around at night in this area?
What cable providers are in this area?
What is the name of the electrical company in this area?
How do I go about setting up utilities in Omaha? Can this be done online?
As far as cable/internet, what kind of internet speeds will we be getting in Omaha?
Who has the best cell phone coverage in Omaha?

Can you recommend a better place to live or better area to live? I'd like to be within 4 miles of the university. I currently run to work and run home (5 miles each way).

Can you recommend a beer club in the midtown area?
Can you recommend a cigar club in the midtown area?
Are there any adult baseball leagues?
What youth baseball leagues can you recommend?

Thank you in advance for any help or feedback given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 04:14 PM

9 posts, read 12,260 times
The address you gave for the townhomes would be quite a walk to UNO during the colder months. Winter in Omaha typically sets in in earnest around mid-December, though November snowfall isn't uncommon, and lasts through March, sometimes into April. I haven't lived in that particular area, and how safe you would feel would be largely contingent on your threshold for perceived danger. In reality, you're not more likely than not to be a victim of crime in Omaha at all, but that's relative. The area around UNO is less polished than the parts of town out west, but I don't feel uncomfortable there. 30th and Leavenworth (where those townhomes are) would perhaps be a different story. Again, I haven't spent a lot of time in the area, so I'll let a more experienced poster chime in.

To answer your other questions-

- For cable, you have Cox Communications. You could also get a satellite with Direct TV, but some apartments won't allow that. In my experience, Cox can be a chore to deal with, but the service is reliable 90% of the time. Unfortunately there isn't much of an alternative.

- Omaha Public Power District (OPPD) is the power company. I had to physically call in and speak to a representative to set up and transfer my service. They're a decent company. Anytime I've had to speak to them, they've been helpful and considerate. Your gas service may vary. I've lived in all electric apartments, so I only paid OPPD, and I've dealt with Metropolitan Utilities District (MUD) and Black Hills Energy. Black Hills will be your more southwestern parts of town, if I'm not mistaken. Of these, MUD was far and away the better company. I'm beginning to think Black Hills operates as some sort of psychological experiment in testing people's patience. I could go on and on about the crap I've dealt with from them, but that's not what you asked about. In short, OPPD is great. So is MUD. I dislike Black Hills. You'll probably have to call them, though their website is fairly comprehensive. (Speaking of OPPD here.)

- As for internet speeds, Cox offers packages ranging from 15Mbps all the way to 50Mbps. Their website, while cumbersome to use at times, has all the information you could need. Just plug in an Omaha zip code and you'll get relevant speeds and pricing.

- Verizon is the standard answer for best cellphone coverage. But they're kind of spotty with their data (if you have a smartphone.) My girlfriend, who has Sprint, loses her connection less frequently than me (I have Verizon.) They haven't been the best company to deal with. They've done away with the unlimited data package, so I'll be switching carriers in a month anyway. In the city, you'd be fine on Verizon, Sprint, or AT&T. I used to live in Papillion (connected to Omaha proper, but south of the city) and I lost my 3G/4G very frequently.

I'll let someone else chime in on the bars and baseball. I'm not very knowledgeable, though my friend spoke very highly of a place called Havana's. (Maybe?) A cigar bar downtown.

Good luck with your move and welcome to Omaha!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:55 PM

624 posts, read 1,070,462 times
Well, there has been a stigma attached to the area for decades. It used to be prostitute central. Anybody still think it's that way? The area is definitely on the uprise, with many of the old apartment buildings being re-done. Like the previous poster said, it's going to come down to your perceived danger. Me, I would live there in an instant if I had the opportunity. To me, the character and proximity of the area outweighs the slightly increased safety concerns. However, 30th and Leavenworth is a long way from UNO. And Omaha is a hilly town, so I guess it depends how fit you are. Leavenworth to UNO will be the back-way, so it'll be more relaxed than if you had to take Dodge. Since you're planning on being here a while, it may be worth the wait, as I believe Leavenworth is being eyed for full-length bike lanes. That would be a major pay-off for you.

If I had to suggest you to look at any other area near there, I would say look into the apartments/townhomes at and southwest of 36th and Dewey. They are nice and the area is a little better than Park Ave. They're closer to Midtown Crossing and more comprehensive bus routes if you ever need them.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 14,916 times
Thank you both for the replies. I think I will try to find temporary accomodations before getting my own place. At least for a month or two. That will give me a better idea of when I should be living.

What is the rental market like in this part of Omaha? Do you feel there is usually a wait list for apartments?

Old 03-24-2013, 06:55 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,519,034 times
Check out Aksarben Village. I think they're just finishing up on a bunch of new apartments and it's right next to UNO's South Campus. Also, the renting market has been extremely strong recently. Most of the new construction or renovations in the core have been rentals as of late, though the condo market is expected to make a comeback soon enough.

I'll give you the two apartment complexes in Aksarben, but I'm not sure on their pet policies:

Here is Pinhook Flats in Aksarben

http://www.pinhookflats.com/floor_plans.html

And here is Broadmoor

Broadmoor at Aksarben Village Apartments - Omaha, NE 68106 | Apartments for Rent

Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 PM

125 posts, read 115,744 times
I'm sure there are plenty of rentals as student housing in the 60th and Pacific area, and probably cheaper than Aksarben Village. Don't know any specifics, but worth checking out

Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 AM

816 posts, read 1,365,366 times
Aksarben Village Is very expensive. I was looking into them before I found out they start around the $700-$800 mark and quickly go into the $1100-$1200 area. It would be walkable though, and there are 2 easy to reach grocery stores by bicycle in the area (52nd and center hyvee and 76th and dodge bag n save)

Snow removal on the streets goes quite well most times. The problem are the sidewalks. Most people see them as a place to put the snow from the street or driveways. 72nd street is particularly bad, even when you make a direct complaint to a business owner. They act like who walks or rides a bicycle in winter? The trails though get cleared rather quickly and are your best bet to get around by foot or bicycle after a snow. Just watch out for drivers at intersections as many don't know how to properly yield to a pedestrian or bicycle on the sidewalk, even when you have the walk signal.

As one who lives car free I can't really comment on anything car related, anything positive that is, but everything else I should have an answer.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 AM

124 posts, read 262,876 times
I can agree with harshbarj about the snow removal and sidewalks comment. It's definitely more of a priority in Omaha to get the snow off the roads, sidewalks are kind of a second thought. Also, Omaha doesn't believe in bike lanes, so be aware of that. I grew up in a small community in northern California with a bunch of environment-saving hippies so I was super used to having bike lanes everywhere, it was kind of shocking moving to Omaha and seeing they had none.

I live on 35th and Dodge, just a bit north of the apts you're looking at so I'm fairly familiar with the general area. I believe I can say with confidence that there aren't too many safety concerns to be worried about. We've lived in the same apts for 4 1/2 years and never had any issue with getting our car broken into or anything else. Not to say that it can't happen, of course, but honestly.. it's the northern parts of Omaha that are generally crime ridden (petty crimes, for the size of the city, I don't personally think there's a lot of crime in general). I don't know the exact 30th and Leavenworth area but I think generally you'll just have to deal with people asking for cigarettes or change, but they're usually harmless. But if you smoke cigarettes around town, be prepared to bum one haha.

As far as internet, there is Cox and Qwest. I've used Cox for years and been satisfied. It occasionally goes out but they seem to be pretty fast at getting it back up and working. You can pay the bill online which is nice and if you need to call about an outage they usually have a pre-recorded message to let you know they're working on it, which is also nice in my opinion cause then you dont have to wait on the phone 20 minutes to speak to someone about the problem they already know exists.

OPPD and MUD I don't think you can transfer services online (perhaps if you're just moving, but as a new resident i'm 99% sure you have to call them to set it up) but you can PAY for those services once it's set up online, and see your bill as well instead of getting a paper bill.

And I would like to suggest Max and Joes for a beer club. It's German so I don't know if that's your thing but I'd say that's probably one of the only 'beer clubs' you'll find within vicinity. There are a ton of bars in the area but not really the same thing.

Max & Joe's | Authentic Belgian Beer Bar

For a cigar club, you would definitely have to venture pretty far west. I don't know of any but I'm sure they exist. But west Omaha is considered kind of the 'ritzier' part of Omaha and so it generally has more of that stuff.

To put it in super racist terms cause I'm guessing no one else will; North Omaha is mostly blacks and that's been the 'territory' for awhile. I lived in North O for about 6 months and personally never had any issues. I knew another friend who lived right in the middle of possibly sordid actions, but she really didnt ever see anything and was just fine. (24th and Laurel) South is generally Hispanics, west is super yuppy , and east doesn't really have a stigma.

Good luck! I moved here right after I graduated high school so my situation is a bit different but it's alright in the end.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 PM

48 posts, read 68,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnguy View Post
It's official. I have been accepted to the University of Nebraska Omaha graduate school. I will be moving to Omaha at the end of the summer. Please help with the following questions and give any advice that might be helpful.

A bit of background. I am not from nor have I have been to Nebraska. My wife and I will be moving from Peru with our 4-year-old son. I am from the US, my wife from Peru, and my son, well, he has been all over the place. Language is not a problem, as we all speak three or more languages.

We will be starting from scratch and making Omaha our permanent home. We would like to rent for the first two years to build some credit. We will be buying one car for my wife to use. I would like to be within walking distance (running or biking distance is fine) to the university. We are looking at the midtown area. My wife is in banking and insurance and should be able to find a job with one of the larger companies in the area.

Can you tell me what Daisy Terrace townhomes are likes? The address given is 1110 S. 30th Avenue. Will on-street parking be a problem? Can I expect that our car will get broken into? What about snow removal. How does this affect on-street parking? We are looking at finding a 2 bedroom apartment/townhome/house in this area that is pet friendly (can't leave our English Bulldog behind).

Will we have problems walking around at night in this area?
What cable providers are in this area?
What is the name of the electrical company in this area?
How do I go about setting up utilities in Omaha? Can this be done online?
As far as cable/internet, what kind of internet speeds will we be getting in Omaha?
Who has the best cell phone coverage in Omaha?

Can you recommend a better place to live or better area to live? I'd like to be within 4 miles of the university. I currently run to work and run home (5 miles each way).

Can you recommend a beer club in the midtown area?
Can you recommend a cigar club in the midtown area?
Are there any adult baseball leagues?
What youth baseball leagues can you recommend?

Thank you in advance for any help or feedback given.
I would highly recommend the Dundee area in Omaha. I live in Dundee and love it. It is very community-oriented, some college kids, and a lot of families. Beautiful houses, safe neighborhoods, friendly people, and a lot of conveniences nearby. Plus, there is a yearly concert in Memorial Park around 4th of July, and "Dundee Days" in the fall with music and a lot of people coming out. I have never had my car broken into or been harassed in this neighborhood. The midtown area that you referenced is okay, but you have a higher chance of crime and harassment in that area. Plus, in my opinion, it is not as much of a community feel as Dundee. I lived in midtown for two years, and have lived in Dundee the last 6 months.

If your wife is in banking and insurance, I would highly recommend applying to Lincoln Financial. They are an insurance company off of 90th and Dodge, and were wonderful to work for. I have not heard great things from friends that worked at Mutual of Omaha. For banking, I would recommend First National Bank.

Since other people addressed the utilities question, I would just say that I think Verizon Wireless has the best cell coverage.

Not much help with the baseball leagues, but Havana Garage downtown is the best cigar bar in Omaha. Their drinks are great, the atmosphere is very inviting and cool, and of course, they have a great cigar collection. As far as beer clubs...the Crescent Moon and Beertopia on 36th and Farnam have an awesome beer selection.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Big O!

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 3,686 times
I'm actually looking at those apartments myself. That part of town has undergone significant redevelopment over the past decade. The buildings are vintage and have some pretty neat features. Some buildings have been completely gutted and remodeled, so you can find apartments that are easily in the $1000+ range, but some buildings have not been touched and are still rundown and really cheap. You'll find this discrepancy on every block. I think the plan for the future is for the whole area to be redone over the next several years, but in the meantime, it's a pretty mixed bag. The area is certainly not the most crime-ridden neighborhood and it definitely does not have the problems that it had with drugs and prostitution ten years ago. Other posters have mentioned different neighborhoods, such as Dundee or Aksarben. They are closer to UNO but apartments are going to be more expensive than this in neighborhood, by several hundred dollars at least. Other things to consider are that in this price range, very few apartments accept dogs, very few have the option for your own washer and dryer, and maybe only half offer central air conditioning, (Omaha can get very hot, into the 90s and 100s in summer). The company that manages this building is well-respected. On-street parking could be difficult, especially in a neighborhood with a lot of apartments, but I don't think it should be a deal-breaker. Even if the building had a parking lot, it wouldn't be secure so your car wouldn't be any safer there than on the street. Omaha does have alternative side parking when it snows so you will have to move your car every day so that plows can get through.

You asked about some sports. There are a couple of adult softball leagues that play in the summer. Many people form teams with co-workers. Not sure about baseball, although UNO would have intermural or other options for sports. There are quite a few youth baseball leagues, as well as soccer, football, basketball, and pretty much any sport. One of the easiest ways for kids to get involved is through the YMCA.

Last edited by moniquie; 07-05-2013 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: adding info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or