Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 AM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
Wasn't that Harney Street plan from like 2 years ago? It's a joke conceived by clowns.
It's no joke. The city is just waiting on federal funding. ATM they are clearing the way for the south 24th street lane. That has federal approval and money. Construction should start later this year and improve south 24th by expanding sidewalks and reducing s24th to 3 lanes, along with bicycle lanes. Though sadly they will likely be the same kind that are on s16th and I refuse to use those. They are 100% within the door zone and unsafe to ride in.

I just wish we could get real change in this city and get cycle tracks like you see in Amsterdam or Copenhagen.

Last edited by harshbarj; 04-07-2013 at 12:25 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 01:10 AM

588 posts, read 796,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post

Thing is they are not bike trails. They are just trails, meant for all to use. Omaha has no dedicated bicycle infrastructure. Best we get are lanes that cars park in, or that go unmaintained and full of sand and glass. There is work on creating the FIRST dedicated cycle track on harney street.

Carving out lane for bicyclists? - Omaha.com
Thanks for the link. When I take streets, what works for me is to take side streets as much as possible.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:17 AM

588 posts, read 796,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
If you take out a baby stroller at that rate of speed you'd be considered a vehicle under the law.
Consider lots of insurance and a place to hide from the father, and in some states the distinct possibility of doing time.
When I approach baby strollers, I slow up very much because I definitely do not want to hit one or scare the mothers. I just with that they would stay on their side so that I wouldn't have to almost come to a halt. I go fast when there is no one in front of me.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:46 PM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
It's no joke. The city is just waiting on federal funding. ATM they are clearing the way for the south 24th street lane. That has federal approval and money. Construction should start later this year and improve south 24th by expanding sidewalks and reducing s24th to 3 lanes, along with bicycle lanes. Though sadly they will likely be the same kind that are on s16th and I refuse to use those. They are 100% within the door zone and unsafe to ride in.

I just wish we could get real change in this city and get cycle tracks like you see in Amsterdam or Copenhagen.
The federal government is in furlough, yet they can give money to a bike lane on 24th street?

Also, Americans love their cars too much to get anything good like in Europe.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:12 PM

817 posts, read 1,769,527 times
Quote:
The federal government is in furlough, yet they can give money to a bike lane on 24th street?
They had the money before the sequester (the word you were looking for). It's also a lot more than a bicycle lane. Most important in my opinion will be the widening and repair of sidewalks.

Quote:
Also, Americans love their cars too much to get anything good like in Europe.
They said something similar in Denmark. Now look at them. Sometimes you have to build the infastructure before the demand shows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha