Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:19 AM

59 posts, read 104,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
About the original question... In Omaha, individuals who stand out from the crowd and question the culture here are just not valued, nor even accepted, so what develops is this massive herd mentality where people are afraid to be unique. Herd mentality is good for big corporations who hire a lot of people to do menial work. Thus a low unemployment rate.

Maybe for the tons of callcenters we have, but otherwise, this makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM

174 posts, read 500,836 times
Honestly is there a place where people don't conform? People complain about how people in the Midwest are "conformists" but if you look at the cities where everybody is a "nonconformist" like Portland or San Francisco you realize there is just as much conformity there, just to a different lifestyle.

Are there a lot of call centers in Omaha btw?

Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARPARP View Post
Honestly is there a place where people don't conform? People complain about how people in the Midwest are "conformists" but if you look at the cities where everybody is a "nonconformist" like Portland or San Francisco you realize there is just as much conformity there, just to a different lifestyle.

Are there a lot of call centers in Omaha btw?
Yes, but I'm not positive how we stack up against other cities. I've worked at two (PRC and Omaha Steaks), and I know people who worked for the Red Cross callcenter, Paypal, West Co., AT&T customer service, NFM customer service, Gallup, InfoUSA, and Gallup. There's also customer service for First Data, reservation service for Hyatt Hotels, something for Cox and Timberline, Citi has a collections call center here as well. To add to the list, Vector Marketing, Convergys customer service, and whatever HD Media does.

...I guess there is a ton lol.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:31 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,975,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcyanide View Post
Maybe for the tons of callcenters we have, but otherwise, this makes no sense.
MountainMen usually doesn't make any sense.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
MountainMen usually doesn't make any sense.

Maybe it's all the cigarette smoke

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcyanide View Post
Maybe it's all the cigarette smoke
Hahahahaha! Well played!

Old 05-27-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Hahahahaha! Well played!
Lol I couldn't resist.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:32 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,163,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
That's a hard one to answer, because I can't be completely sure just why I hated it so much, but I did- never hated a place so bad in my life, lol. There were things going on in my family that might have had something to do with it (you know, you associate something bad with a place, that sort of thing), but there were things about Omaha that bothered me as well....

I didn't like the weather at all- it was just....too off-the-charts for me, summertime would have the horrific-and I mean horrific-humidity, then out of the blue would come a major rainstorm, hail, and the possibility of tornadoes- it was just strange for me. I didn't care at all for the fact that it was a big town, the road/driving rules were just really odd to me and a little difficult for me to navigate- the people, well...this is just my opinion, and I honestly mean no disrespect..they just seemed overall semi-bent most of the time. Not too outgoing, road rage, etc. This isn't to mean that others won't really like it there, it's just that me and the midwest did not get along well, lol.

They do have a really nice zoo, I will give them that- so along with the unem. rate, which is phenomenal compared to most places, the cost of living which isn't bad either, it could be a real gem for a lot of people. It just wasn't for me!
Good Lord, I'm from Michigan and lived in Omaha fro 2004 - 2007 and I liked it! There were things I didn't like but (1) I loved how it was laid out in a grid and I always knew where I was and never got lost. (2) People there are very polite and helpful. Hold your doors open, let you first on an escalator, tell you a store to try if they don't carry what you want. So old fashioned polite. Doesn't mean they are going to invite you home for dinner right away but sheesh. (3) Big enough to have some concerts and events, but not too big.
Drawbacks, if it doesn't have what you want (pro sports, lakes) its a fair long way to someplace that does. People go to Kansas City for pro sports which is...2.5? hours away?
Once you get out of town its a whole lot of corn in every direction. I actually liked the empty spaces but wish there was more plant/nature diversity.
The weather in the Great Plains, all of the great plains, is more extreme, intense cold, intense heat. It may not rain often but when it does it tends to pour etc. My biggest complaint - and this goes for every plains state including WY etc. is wind. Drove me batty and dries out plants etc. (gardening is harder in the plains). Humidity, never understood that complaint except for a few weeks in July. Ho can someone from MI say NE is more humid?
Anyway I really liked it. Maybe not enough to retire there, I would like more lakes and streams and nature, but I wouldn't have complained about living there longer.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:38 PM

Just for the record, the only professional sports being played in Kansas City are usually the visiting teams.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,068,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Good Lord, I'm from Michigan and lived in Omaha fro 2004 - 2007 and I liked it! There were things I didn't like but (1) I loved how it was laid out in a grid and I always knew where I was and never got lost. (2) People there are very polite and helpful. Hold your doors open, let you first on an escalator, tell you a store to try if they don't carry what you want. So old fashioned polite. Doesn't mean they are going to invite you home for dinner right away but sheesh. (3) Big enough to have some concerts and events, but not too big.
Drawbacks, if it doesn't have what you want (pro sports, lakes) its a fair long way to someplace that does. People go to Kansas City for pro sports which is...2.5? hours away?
Once you get out of town its a whole lot of corn in every direction. I actually liked the empty spaces but wish there was more plant/nature diversity.
The weather in the Great Plains, all of the great plains, is more extreme, intense cold, intense heat. It may not rain often but when it does it tends to pour etc. My biggest complaint - and this goes for every plains state including WY etc. is wind. Drove me batty and dries out plants etc. (gardening is harder in the plains). Humidity, never understood that complaint except for a few weeks in July. Ho can someone from MI say NE is more humid?
Anyway I really liked it. Maybe not enough to retire there, I would like more lakes and streams and nature, but I wouldn't have complained about living there longer.
This is exactly what I meant when I said that for some, it might be a gem-whereas for me, I positively hated it! You enjoyed wide open spaces, it just really unnerved me- as for intense cold, the winter before we moved to Omaha, we spent in Gaylord, MI- loved it, but we got over 200 inches of snow that year- when we moved to Omaha, I think they got around 50-something that year, and it was like the whole city just sort of closed down, or something. I commented to my husband that you would think it had never snowed there before, the way they reacted to it, and the lack of keeping the roads driveable was dismal there. The difference to me between Gaylord (and now where we live, in the U.P.) and Omaha during the winter, is - and maybe this was just how it was the years I was in Omaha - when there was snowy, winter weather, the sun hardly ever shined. I had a real issue with weather related mild depression, which I had never had before (but then again, the fact that I couldn't stand it there might have had a lot to do with that, so...) because I really needed just a little sun every couple of days, even if it was only for 10 or 15 minutes. In Gaylord and the U.P., we could have snow up to our hips, but that sun shined a lot, lol.

I'm not originally from Michigan, I'm from California- I lived there my entire life until the last seven years, which have been split up between Michigan and Nebraska--I lived in the Central Valley, so there was a lot of greenery around-and maybe it was the move to Michigan, but once we hit Michigan and I saw the fact that you could be in a big city, drive two miles out and be in the middle of woods and lakes, I was completely hooked- it was like the best of both worlds, and in very close proximity-you didn't have to drive two-and-a-half hours just to find a lake, or forest. I was desperate for what I consider to be real nature- like...Michigan nature, lol. The first summer we were in Omaha, the humidity was literally nauseating, it was so heavy- maybe it was just a really bad year- last summer wasn't AS bad, but I would take the beautiful woods, lakes, scenery, and just overall everything else of Michigan over just about anywhere else, seriously. I mean, I LOVE Michigan, lol.

Me and Michigan, we done bonded, hahaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha