U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 06:59 AM

83 posts, read 170,907 times

Advertisements

Hey guys

I am trying to gather some opinions on how feasible it is to commute from Omaha to Peru for a job. My gf applied for a job in Peru (NE), I know there isn't much around that area, and from the people she was able to talk to at the job she applied to, most of them commute from Lincoln or Omaha. This however is a good 70 miles or so. Some people carpool form Omaha/Lincoln. Is this daily drive feasible given weather in NE?
We live in South FL where obviously we get a lot of torrential rains/storms but no snow/ice. How is US 75 as far as getting plowed in winter etc..? I understand the highway is mostly either one or 2 lanes and there are no real exits per se so if a storm comes (or worse tornado etc..) around you're stuck in the highway with no exit for miles..kind of freaky..
Of course another issue is how we'd adapt to Omaha coming from south Florida but I guess that's a different thread...
Obviously things to consider are the drive, safety of the drive in winter/storms, cost since we'd be literally refilling the car every couple of days with such a long commute (not to mention more often oil changes, tire replacements etc..). Also we have 2 cars but hers is a lease which would not work for such long drives, mine is a RWD car which would not work for ice/snow. Some expense/change would come from that as well, whether i take over her lease car, we sell my rwd and get an awd etc...still expenses.

If she was to get the job and we would move I think we would move to Omaha since it would be easier to find a job for myself there, also coming from a medium city (Ft. Lauderdale) we'd like to keep it that way instead of going to a much smaller city or town (eg. Nebraska City one of the options I have heard..)

Thanks for any tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM

73 posts, read 179,374 times
I grew up in Nebraska moved around some and am back in the state now. I drive about 30 miles each way to work. That is for background.

I would not make the drive drive from Omaha to Peru. Even if you live in the far south part of the Omaha metro I would pass. The only way I would even consider it is maybe living in plattsmouth and you could easily work in Omaha and it would make the drive to Peru borderline manageable. The road is not the issue. It is continually getting better too. You do need to think about weather but the actual number of days a year where that is an issues is really pretty small. Good luck on making the decision.

What type of work would you be looking for? That might impact the decision too.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM

83 posts, read 170,907 times
Thanks for the advice, that's what I figured....
I do IT work so anything with desktop support/networking etc.. I figure would be easier to find in Omaha. The drive is long though so that's why if she gets the job and we end up moving would be something we'd need to make a decision on.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 AM

59 posts, read 80,153 times
Absolutely not. Not even in the best of circumstances would that be pleasant. As mentioned, Plattsmouth would be a little better, Lincoln better yet, and Nebraska City would be best yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or