Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 01:44 AM

4 posts, read 5,829 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife just got a new job at nebraska medical center and we are shifting from atlantic city. We don't know much about omaha and wanted opinions from people who have been living here or just moved about safe places to rent and also good apartment buildings or houses or condos upto 850/- pm. We are a newly married couple and we're from India so atlantic city was very open and tolerant. Hope the same goes for us in Omaha. We'd be shifting in the month of june around 20th.

Any suggestion or opinion would be really appreciated and welcome.....thanks in advance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmonu View Post
Hi,
My wife just got a new job at nebraska medical center and we are shifting from atlantic city. We don't know much about omaha and wanted opinions from people who have been living here or just moved about safe places to rent and also good apartment buildings or houses or condos upto 850/- pm. We are a newly married couple and we're from India so atlantic city was very open and tolerant. Hope the same goes for us in Omaha. We'd be shifting in the month of june around 20th.

Any suggestion or opinion would be really appreciated and welcome.....thanks in advance....
Save for a few small pockets in the northeast and southest quadrants of the city, you'd be safe pretty much anywhere.

I personally recommend the Midtown and Benson areas.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Default thank you

Hi,
I appreciate your reply and we started looking at bellevue for houses. Hope you have a great day and week ahead.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:10 AM

147 posts, read 259,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulmonu View Post
Hi,
I appreciate your reply and we started looking at bellevue for houses. Hope you have a great day and week ahead.
Why would you look for houses in Bellevue, when your wife is going to be working at UNMC? That makes no sense.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:25 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,195 times
I wish you the best of luck.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times
Surely there is someone at UNMC that can give you advise on housing in the area. Do that before you ask total strangers on a message board. Other fellow employees can also be a good source of information. Why spend an hour or more in a car commuting when you can find a desirable apartment within walking or biking distance of your work? After all if you are newlyweds you have better things to do than spending time behind the wheel. Right?

GL2

Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Thanks for helping.

Hi,
Thank you everyone for trying to help me find a suitable place. Well the reason i chose bellevue or la vista is because i compared all the crime which has happened over a period of about a month and 10 days from crimemapping.com.

What we found out was that there were 300 crimes in downtown area in that period and the areas i mentioned had only 3 or 4. I was under the impression that it took about 20 to 25 mins to reach unmc.....that's why.

Any imput would be great cause we still haven't finalized the lease.

Thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM

325 posts, read 962,945 times
Bellevue/LaVista/Ralston/Papillion are all easy commutes. West Omaha has a ton of real nice apartment complexes and it's about 20 minutes to UNMC. In fact pretty much all of the Omaha Metro area is an easy drive. Omaha used to be called a 20 minute city because you could get anywhere in 20 minutes. I'd guess that's been pushed out to 25-30 now, but still very manageable.

If you head into town around the 20th you'll be arriving during one of Omaha's more frenetic time periods as the College World Series will be in full swing It runs from June 15th - June 26th. The downtown area will be especially impacted.

I can't imagine that you'll run into any intolerance issues. While Omaha is considered a "conservative city" it's not redneck.

One last thing. I went to your crimemapping site just because I couldn't believe that Bellevue only had 3 or 4 crimes of any sort during that time period. What it looks like is that since Bellevue is in Cass County (Omaha is in Douglas County) the crimes do NOT show up on the map presented. I'm not implying that Bellevue is a bad section, just that your methodology is flawed if that's why your choosing it.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Default Thanks

Hi altajoe,
Thank you very much for your reply. The feedback you gave me was excellent, i thought that bellevue was in sarpy county. As you may have noticed i am new to omaha, would you be able to give me a few areas which you might think are safe, peaceful, little crime (There will always be crime so a little works for me :-) } cause i might have to start looking afresh if what you say is right.....

Thanks for your help.....

Old 06-12-2013, 03:36 PM

325 posts, read 962,945 times
Wow, I must have had a brain fart. Yes, Bellevue is in Cass County. But that doesn't change the crimemapping question. The map seems to stop at the border of Douglas and Sarpy County. I still maintain that there were stats/crimes from that area, while none show up on the map.

One suggestion is to look in the Field Club area. It's very convenient to UNMC and everyone I know who lives there loves it. You might also see what's available in Midtown Crossing. It's also getting praise. Dundee is a popular area for young professionals. I'm sure some other posters will be able to give you some more first hand knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha