Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM

17 posts, read 109,518 times

Advertisements

So far I like what I have read about Omaha. Thanks for the links everybody!!!!

If I end up relocating to Omaha, I think I ought to rent for awhile until I have explored the area to find the neighborhood I want to buy in. So for a 6 month to 1 year period, I would like to rent.

I have checked the rental sites and Craig's List but I don't what the neighborhoods are or how far from my job. I would be working at 3024 Harney Street which looks like it is downtown. My preferences for living would be a safe area that is within a 20 minute drive from work where other single people and young families live. A small house or condo would be nice. Any ideas or pointers to neighborhoods I should look at??? Unfortunately, I will have to do most of my search before I get there. I would probably fly up there for a weekend and have to get a place leased then so I have a place to send the moving truck to !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,530,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboar View Post
So far I like what I have read about Omaha. Thanks for the links everybody!!!!

If I end up relocating to Omaha, I think I ought to rent for awhile until I have explored the area to find the neighborhood I want to buy in. So for a 6 month to 1 year period, I would like to rent.

I have checked the rental sites and Craig's List but I don't what the neighborhoods are or how far from my job. I would be working at 3024 Harney Street which looks like it is downtown. My preferences for living would be a safe area that is within a 20 minute drive from work where other single people and young families live. A small house or condo would be nice. Any ideas or pointers to neighborhoods I should look at??? Unfortunately, I will have to do most of my search before I get there. I would probably fly up there for a weekend and have to get a place leased then so I have a place to send the moving truck to !!!
30th and Harney is on the fringe of downtown, its by Mutual of Omaha and getting close to the medical area (Med Center, Clarkson College, etc). If you are looking at places close to there then be careful, especially if you go north. Some of the highest crime areas in the metro are in the Northeast part of town (refered to as North Omaha).

As you move further west you chances of finding something safe north of Dodge becomes easier.

The area between 30th and 72nd has a lot of rentals. There are a numberof college students due to the Med Center and Univeristy of Nebraska.

As you move further west your rents will probably increase, but there are lots of apartments.

20 minutes takes you quite a ways in Omaha so you will have lots of choices.

Don't discount the areas of Papillion, LaVista, Ralston or Bellevue. They are a little further south so depending on how you would go to work it might push the 20 minute limit, but Papillion and Ralston are very low crime and very safe areas. You can find a wide variety of rental prices in these areas.

Once you key in on an area post the general location, especially if it is North of Dodge Street and East of 42nd street - folks can then give you a general idea if that is a safe neighborhood.

Good luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,535 times
Check out apartments.com, npdodge.com, and omaha.com all are good resources for apartments and other rentals. I live in the 46th & Center area. It's a decent area, close to grocery stores, and not far from downtown. I can make it downtown in ten minutes or less. Commonly known as midtown but I don't think it's really midtown anymore with all the expansion.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM

17 posts, read 109,518 times
I have seen alot of "downtown loft" sort of apartments near Old Market. What is the story with these? I figure they have to be overpriced for the market. Here where I am now, they went crazy building downtown condos and suddenly, there aren't any buyers...... lots of empty downtown condos.

I figure though that for a single guy, being near OM might be a good idea.

Of course being near the medical center might be where I meet my future wife/doctor LOL.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 19,445 times
It's really a pot-shot in the downtown loft scene. I have had friends live at various places. Harrigan Square is a very small building and was decent. Ironically the "lofts" in many of the buildings are essentially the same... and expensive. From what I've been told and in some cases witnessed, many of the buildings suffer from paper-thin walls which may or may not matter depending on you or your neighbors.

Most of the buildings are pretty safe, trendy and usually packed with a lot of younger people. Parking can be a pain in the ass but certainly manageable. The downtown bars are fun, but it's only fun for so long before they get old. Living mid-town may be the better option as the rent will usually be cheaper than downtown, your choices open up a bit in terms of how far things are away from you and there are lots of students in the area.

There's a new set of either condos or apartments coming to tmidtown as the city is looking at pushing developers back towards the urban center and east. Once you start getting too far west, the rents are higher, you have concentrated development pockets and for the most part, never have to go anywhere east of 144th St. Then again, it feels like you live out in the boonies and I wouldn't advise it if you're young and single. It's just too effing boring out here in the sticks.

Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,609,737 times
Gas isn't going to get any cheaper if you're going to work around 30th and Harney (National Indemnity? ) you may as well live Downtown. I do and I would highly recommend it. I used to work for Mutual of Omaha and I rode the bus up from home and walked back everyday. There are other spots to live in Downtown outside of the Old Market that aren't as pricey. My boyfriend lives in the Old Market around 11th and Harney and his place is a huge 2 bdrm 2 bath that rents for $1,500. I know other people who have rents as low as $600 and some even below $400. It depends on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha