U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-22-2013, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,340 posts, read 8,683,802 times
Reputation: 1215

Advertisements

I figured we could have a less divisive thread to discuss the new mayor's various actions. I ask that this thread be kept civil and respectful. Argue and attack ideas, not people. Now, starting with this one:

Stothert greeted with cheers in declaring ‘Pride Festival Day’ - Omaha.com

I really did not see this coming. I really think it's great that Mayor Stothert is reaching out to groups of people who she may have a more tense relationship with. It definitely changes my perception of her. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-22-2013, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Chalco
59 posts, read 82,902 times
Reputation: 43
I could be completely pulling this out of my ass, but I do recall her saying something along the lines of "...I won't work with only one party, but with everyone..."

Something to that effect.

That makes me happy to hear that people are putting down their partisan spears for once. Let's hope that this can keep up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,455,701 times
Reputation: 524
when is Straight Pride Day in Omaha


I know July is Straight Pride month but never hear about a Straight Pride Day event in Omaha

Last edited by billiefan2000; 06-23-2013 at 09:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Chalco
59 posts, read 82,902 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
when is Straight Pride Day in Omaha


I know July is Straight Pride month but never hear about a Straight Pride Day event in Omaha
Absence of Straight Pride Day event + Desire of Straight Pride Day Event + Initiative and hard work = Straight Pride Day event.

Or, if you don't fancy the Pride events, you could always stay inside for the whole month of June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,455,701 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcyanide View Post
Absence of Straight Pride Day event + Desire of Straight Pride Day Event + Initiative and hard work = Straight Pride Day event.

Or, if you don't fancy the Pride events, you could always stay inside for the whole month of June.

so u are saying there shouldnt be a Straight Pride Day event in Omaha


and if so, are u saying, us normies (as some call us) arent allowed to be heard as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Chalco
59 posts, read 82,902 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
so u are saying there shouldnt be a Straight Pride Day event in Omaha


and if so, are u saying, us normies (as some call us) arent allowed to be heard as well
I know my memory blows, but I have a strong conviction telling me that's not what I had said.

What I was saying, maybe more sarcastically than I should have, was that if you would like a Straight Pride event, go ahead and do something to organize one. Sitting back and stewing on it cynically has a poor success rate, I could imagine.

I don't give a dried cat crap about what kind of 'pride' event people hold. Free speech comment goes >>here<<. What I do care is that people complain about the absence of said event and then proceed to do nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,455,701 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcyanide View Post
I know my memory blows, but I have a strong conviction telling me that's not what I had said.

What I was saying, maybe more sarcastically than I should have, was that if you would like a Straight Pride event, go ahead and do something to organize one. Sitting back and stewing on it cynically has a poor success rate, I could imagine.

I don't give a dried cat crap about what kind of 'pride' event people hold. Free speech comment goes >>here<<. What I do care is that people complain about the absence of said event and then proceed to do nothing.

I agree. I think it is cause too many people wont do a Straight Pride event cause they are afraid of the gay marriage fanatics who bully people into silence.

If u speak out against gay marriage, you are bullied into silence and even have ur life ruined.



I also agree, I could care less about someone's sexual preferences, but I dont want to hear about it, not should someone's choices or lifestyles be shoved down everyone's throats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Chalco
59 posts, read 82,902 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
I agree. I think it is cause too many people wont do a Straight Pride event cause they are afraid of the gay marriage fanatics who bully people into silence.

If u speak out against gay marriage, you are bullied into silence and even have ur life ruined.



I also agree, I could care less about someone's sexual preferences, but I dont want to hear about it, not should someone's choices or lifestyles be shoved down everyone's throats
It's not necessarily about shoving our beliefs up someone's ass.

The original reason for the celebration was that a few decades ago, homosexuality was a criminal offense in the US. The punishment for this criminal offense was either prison, chemical castration, institutionalization, or being labotomized. The pot had simmered for decades before the day it boiled over when police tried to storm a gay bar in New York in the 60's to arrest the occupants. The result was a riot. They didn't want to force their beliefs on others, they just wanted the criminal persecution to end. After they succeeded in ending criminal persecution, the next step was ending the discrimination.

I'm sure the original motives behind Pride lay on a dusty shelf somewhere, because I don't see much of that history reflected in the current way Pride is celebrated. I can't speak much else on the issue because I typically don't care to attend the festivities myself.

I really am not trying to preach here, but I feel that some people misunderstand the whole pride thing, and again, with the current way it is celebrated, I can definitely see where that misunderstanding comes from and I don't blame people for getting the wrong idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Omaha Nebraska and dreamland when I am sleeping
3,096 posts, read 6,455,701 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcyanide View Post
It's not necessarily about shoving our beliefs up someone's ass.
oh?

If you speak out on gay marriage or saying Homosexuality is a sin, u get brow-beaten and have your life ripped upside down by the "tolerance" police.

Now, dont tell me those on the left who are tolerant towards anyone arent intolerant towards those who sapek out on gay marriage.

If u say u disagree, u are labeled a bigot or divisive for having a different view then the left does.


btw, to be fair: both sides have intolerance. The AFA and the Westboro and FRC folks have done a lot of damage to christianity 's reputation and have not helped the conservative movement.

(dont even get me started on what is wrong with Tony Perkins and Bryan Fischer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2013, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Chalco
59 posts, read 82,902 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
oh?

If you speak out on gay marriage or saying Homosexuality is a sin, u get brow-beaten and have your life ripped upside down by the "tolerance" police.

Now, dont tell me those on the left who are tolerant towards anyone arent intolerant towards those who sapek out on gay marriage.

If u say u disagree, u are labeled a bigot or divisive for having a different view then the left does.


btw, to be fair: both sides have intolerance. The AFA and the Westboro and FRC folks have done a lot of damage to christianity 's reputation and have not helped the conservative movement.

(dont even get me started on what is wrong with Tony Perkins and Bryan Fischer
I don't care if someone speaks out against gay marriage. If one holds traditional conservative or ultra traditional conservative views, good for you. I couldn't care less about what someone else believes. Unlike some in the Left or Right, I don't condemn someone for their ideas.

While none can change how another thinks, you must be prepared for a certain kind of reception based upon the opinion being expressed. It doesn't matter what hot-button topic it is, there will always be someone there to browbeat you for daring to hold said opinion. In the end, all you can do is defend your position with logic and be steadfast.

Also, and let me iterate that I am not saying this is something you said or believe, but if one is the kind of person who says gay marriage is wrong because it will lead to people marrying children and dogs and starfish and pineapples, I will respect one's position. But one deserves every ounce of fire thrown at one because that is the essence of bull****.

Last edited by RNcyanide; 06-23-2013 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top